5 Posts

Courtier» Forums » General

Subject: Fantasy or Historical? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Ross
msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone know if this game is historical (although seemingly not in the real Earth) or if it is fantastical and magical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tempest games are not fantasy or sci-fi.

TECHNOLOGY

Technology is equivalent to early renaissance. People in Tempest can have access to wrought iron, a printing press (literacy is not uncommon), and a one-armed clock stands proudly in the quad at the Atheneum. Mariners have astrolabes to assist in navigation.

THE SUPERNATURAL

The church attests to the existence and power of divinity. Alchemists attempt to transmute lead to gold and develop immortality serums. Diviners and wise women dispense charms and hexes. Sailors tell stories of sea serpents and mermaids. Miraculous cures are a common topic of discussion.

However, the Enlightenment has only budded in the world of Tempest, and the citizens are nowhere near post-Enlightenment thinking. These sorts of mysteries are mysterious. Evidence for the existence or efficacy of supernatural powers remains, at best, in the realm of faith or rumor (except, as claimed, by their practitioners).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Specter
United States
Belmont
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that over the years a lot of the fanboy in me has died. However, I find myself very excited about the Tempest universe. Will these be showcased at Origins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at Origins, but I am seeing if a special venue for previewing these might be available at Gen Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Specter
United States
Belmont
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Durnitall! I can't make Gen Con this year. Sigh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.