Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Nuklear Winter '68» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Shellhole placement - ANSWERED rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't find this answer elsewhere. When using a Barrage marker, a shell holes marker is placed in the target hex struck by the marker. (page 13, 2.4.1)

Are shell hole markers placed on the two adjacent hexes as well or just the single target hex?

I think only one shell holes marker is placed the way I interpret the rules, but I want to clarify. Thanks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Re: Question about Shellhole placement
Of course its not for me to be definitive. But I played it that a shellhole marker is placed in each targeted hex. An earlier question I asked, concerned on-board artillery and shellholes ... they don't get to place. Off-board artillery is much the more concentrated was part of the explanation IIRC. Seems to me that the three hex bombardment area also represents a 3 battery regiment firing the mission. If this is true, it makes sense to place a shellhole marker in each hex. We'll see what Petre has to say?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Question about Shellhole placement
mark heywood wrote:
Of course its not for me to be definitive. But I played it that a shellhole marker is placed in each targeted hex. An earlier question I asked, concerned on-board artillery and shellholes ... they don't get to place. Off-board artillery is much the more concentrated was part of the explanation IIRC. Seems to me that the three hex bombardment area also represents a 3 battery regiment firing the mission. If this is true, it makes sense to place a shellhole marker in each hex. We'll see what Petre has to say?


Mark, I agree and think it makes the most sense to place shell holes in each struck hex. The wording in the rules seems fairly explicit to me though, which reads:

The target hex struck by the Barrage will be marked with a Shellholes marker, unless the terrain already is of the Shellholes type or another Shellholes marker is already in place.

Since target hex is referred to in the singular, it seems to me that a shellholes marker is only supposed to be placed in the target hex, not the adjacent hexes.

I'm sure Petre will clear it up soon.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
Re: Question about Shellhole placement
Ryanmobile wrote:
The wording in the rules seems fairly explicit to me though, which reads:

The target hex struck by the Barrage will be marked with a Shellholes marker, unless the terrain already is of the Shellholes type or another Shellholes marker is already in place.


Hmmm, got me there. And as a counter point a 'no rule' situation is that if firing a nuclear strike (or should that be a Nuklear strike), there are no shellholes placed, instead of one big one in the center targeted hex! Also when placing shellhole markers in each hex fired on, I began to run out of said markers in scenario III.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petre Tutunea
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Re: Question about Shellhole placement
Ryanmobile wrote:
Are shell hole markers placed on the two adjacent hexes as well or just the single target hex?


Shellholes must be placed on all three struck hexes, the reason being that Barrages represent, as Mark correctly remembered and pointed out, large concentrations of high caliber artillery fire. Will adjust the rule wording to clarify.

The reason for not placing Shellholes in the target hex of a Nuclear strike is that, because of the ensuing Radiation, that hex becomes inaccessible anyway (to all but one unit type) and it would only clutter the map and waste admin counters. If, however, a player decides to position Zealots/Ravagers in such a hex as part of his strategy, than he should consider that hex as being Shellholed and adjust the units' movement and defense accordingly.[q=
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Question about Shellhole placement
Thanks Petre. That makes the most sense to me, glad to hear it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.