Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not like 8 territories with 1 troopin each?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christie
Australia
Eastwood
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: at the start of the game, i put all my starting troops in one territory together?
Your subject heading is correct - 8 troops in one territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Swank
msg tools
Re: at the start of the game, i put all my starting troops in one territory together?
that is correct and once its your turn you will be able to expand into those other 7 zones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I have another few questions which I may have missed in the FAQ thread. Apologies if this is repeating queries already answered.
These are all questions raised in my mind by a reading of the rulebook. I don't have the game yet.

1. Attacking enemies. Is each (attacking) troop only allowed to participate in one attack per turn? On page 12 of the rulebook it says 'you may attack more territories if you like and are able to' - Does this mean I can attack again with troops that have survived previous battles or does it mean I can attack with any troops who have not yet been in a fight this turn?

2. If I have 7 troops in a territory, and I want to attack an adjacent territory, so I attack with 3, and if those three win, I can move 6 troops into the territory. This now becomes a controlled territory of mine, correct? Can I then make another attack on a further adjacent territory with the 3 troops uninvolved in the initial attack? Is this Blitzkrieg-style tactic allowed? The rulebook seems to say that after a successful attack, you 'reset' to the instructions at the start of the 'How to attack' instructions.

3. Do fortified cities (with no defending troops present) impose a 'resistance' cost of 4 troops when they are attacked (2 for city, +2 for fortification)?

4. Event and Mission cards - the rulebook says ignore these for the first game (at least). Does this mean that at some stage during the 15 games we'll get some sort of 'now start using the event/mission cards' instruction from the game, or do we have to decide ourselves when to add events and missions?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
1. Attacking enemies. Is each (attacking) troop only allowed to participate in one attack per turn?

No.

Quote:
On page 12 of the rulebook it says 'you may attack more territories if you like and are able to' - Does this mean I can attack again with troops that have survived previous battles

Yes.

Quote:
does it mean I can attack with any troops who have not yet been in a fight this turn?

As you note below, all of your troops reset to pre-battle conditions after a win or a loss. Therefore you can make as many attacks into as many territories as you have troops to fund these attacks - one particular troop piece can be involved in all of these attacks or none of them.

Quote:
2. If I have 7 troops in a territory, and I want to attack an adjacent territory, so I attack with 3, and if those three win, I can move 6 troops into the territory. This now becomes a controlled territory of mine, correct?

Correct.

Quote:
Can I then make another attack on a further adjacent territory with the 3 troops uninvolved in the initial attack? Is this Blitzkrieg-style tactic allowed? The rulebook seems to say that after a successful attack, you 'reset' to the instructions at the start of the 'How to attack' instructions.

Yes you can. It's not only allowed, it's encouraged...sometimes you will see the opportunity to forge a path straight through to one or more HQs in a single turn by doing exactly this.

Be warned that if you do do this and don't end up winning the game on that turn, then you are likely to have quite a fragile set of territories which others in their turn could exploit...it's why it's called Risk!

Quote:
3. Do fortified cities (with no defending troops present) impose a 'resistance' cost of 4 troops when they are attacked (2 for city, +2 for fortification)?

Yes they do. Although Cities don't always cost 2 to expand into, the number on the city sticker shows you how many it costs. Note that you don't "attack" spaces with no troops in, you "expand" into them.

Quote:
4. Event and Mission cards - the rulebook says ignore these for the first game (at least). Does this mean that at some stage during the 15 games we'll get some sort of 'now start using the event/mission cards' instruction from the game, or do we have to decide ourselves when to add events and missions?

You will be told by the game when you will start using event and/or mission cards...let their introduction come naturally and don't worry about these for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fleece
United States
New Baltimore
MI
flag msg tools
Jesus Christ is Lord of my life.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You can attack with troops that have won previous battles.
2. You have to move at least the amount of dice you rolled, which is the amount of troops you committed. You can then move more from that territory to the recently acquired territory, but you must leave at least one behind. You now control the territory,
3. You lose troops equal to the troops population.
Minor City: 1 troop Major City: 2 troops World Capitol: 5 troops
When a city is fortified, you lose 2 extra troops. So if you expand into a fortified MAJOR city, you would lose 4 troops. But a fortified MINOR city would cost you 3 troops.
4. Events and missions are gained by unlocking the packets and pockets included in the game. Once they are unlocked, they are explained at that time, and their inclusion is mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:

The game will tell you to start using them ... at the same time the game actually gives them to you. There are no event nor mission cards in the portion of the game you'll open before the first game - they're all in sealed packets with specific instructions on when to open them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for all the responses. I'm so glad I asked, especially the first question. I'm sure we would have played wrongly otherwise.

So a troop that doesn't die in an attack can continue to be used for as many attacks as it's able to attempt? Wow. I can envisage players building up a huge army and then charging across the landscape leaving a string of single troops behind.

I guess the trick with that is knowing when to commit to the Blitz...

Man, I cannot wait to play this game

Eco

PS: I think I'm going to be saying "It's why it's called Risk!" a lot during our games lol. I played it a bit 20-odd years ago, but I'm not sure any of the others in my gaming group ever have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Fromhell
msg tools
The second question, about having 7 troops and wanting to attack, needs a more detailed answer:

Yes, you may attack with 3 of the 7 troops, and yes you may then move more troops into that area.

Since you imply that you want to attack more areas, here is what you must do.

You have 7 troops in one area.
You cannot "empty" an area, so you leave 1 troop and move the maximum 3 troops into an enemy controlled area.
Lets say you loose 1 trooper in the first attack round.
You move 1 more trooper into the area, and attack with 3.
Say you win.
You want to press on, so you move 2 more troops into the area. You now have 5 troops in the area.
You move 3 troops to another enemy controlled area.
Say you win, and you move another trooper into that area.
You press on, that is leave 1 trooper behind, and move 3 into yet another enemy area.
Say you loose 1 trooper in that attack.
You attack again, and wins.
You control that area, and have 2 troops in it.
You may still attack another area, but with just one troop and the favor slightly in favor of the defender, you decide to stay put.

Your attack spree is over.

Now you have the option to move troops from ONE of the areas you control to ONE other area.

Let's say you decide to move 3 troops from "way back" where you started, because you consider that area relatively safe, and you move these troops into the last area you occupied.

You end your turn with 2 + 3 = 5 troops in that area.

Say you are lucky, no other player attacked that area during their turn.

Next turn you get 3 fresh troops. You decide to put them into that area, and you now have 8 troops there.

Rince and repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.

That last movement before my turn is over - that's the Manoever phase? And during that, I pick one controlled territory of mine and move any number of troops there (but leaving at least one behind) and move them to any other controlled territory of mine that's connected to it by other controlled territories of mine (any number)?

It sort of brings to mind the WW2 German 'invasion' of Russia.

Except hopefully more successful.

Eco

Edit: Only one start territor and one destination territor is involved in this? I can't start with say 5 and move one troop each to 4 different territories?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
That last movement before my turn is over - that's the Manoever phase? And during that, I pick one controlled territory of mine and move any number of troops there (but leaving at least one behind) and move them to any other controlled territory of mine that's connected to it by other controlled territories of mine (any number)?

Exactly.

(Note that the Saharan Republic's two starting powers both affect manoever - one allows you to do your one manoever before completing your attacks/expansions, so with that power you can continue to attack and expand after your manoever; the other allows you to ignore the contiguous-control requirement and allows you to manoever between any two territories you control regardless of whether you control a path between them).

Ecosmith wrote:
Edit: Only one start territor and one destination territor is involved in this? I can't start with say 5 and move one troop each to 4 different territories?

That is correct. One manoever, involving one source territory and one destination territory. If you want to double-troop multiple territories along the way you need to figure that into your attack-time decisionmaking (not moving the whole horde-minus-one at every conquest, but deliberately leaving more than one behind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.