Subject: Arkham in Japan Game 15: If Man is Five rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link to the previous session reports for anyone interested in following my group's progress:

Season One - Base Game Ancient Ones

Game 3: The Ladies of Arkham VS Nyarlathotep!
Game 5: The First Casualties...
Game 7: Vengeance
Game 8: Over Before We Knew It
Game 9: Answering the Call
Game 10: The Curtain Rises...
Game 11: ...The Next Act Begins...
Game 12: ...The Finale

Season Two - Dunwich Horror Ancient Ones

Game 13: Return to Dunwich

First, before getting into game 15, I'd like to post a summary of Game 14 (again, mostly for me to keep track of things). I didn't do a Session Report because it was a pretty straightforward game with very little of note happening. It was a pretty easy win against Abhoth.

Investigators:

Trish Scarborough {1} (me)
Roland Banks {1} (me)
Tommy Muldoon {2} (friend)
Rita Young {1} (friend)

Ancient One:

Abhoth

Final Count:

Doom Track - 11
Terror Track - 2
Gates Sealed - 1
Investigators Incapacitated - 0
Investigators Insane - 1 (Tommy)
Investigators Devoured - 0

W(D)-L Record:

Abhoth 1(1)-0
Glaaki 0-0
Shudde M'ell 1-0
Tsathoggua 0-0

Games: 11-3
Six Seals Wins 5
Closed Gates Wins 2
Final Combat Wins 4

Current Streak: 8 Wins

Now, time for Game 15...

For the first time, we were trying a five Investigator game in hopes that it gave someone a chance to actually experience Dunwich. Again the set-up is AH + DH using all KiY cards w/o Acts.

Rules:
-Players controlling 2 Investigators draw three randomly and choose two to play; Players controlling 1 Investigator draw two and choose one.
-Ancient One is drawn randomly.
-Devoured Investigators are removed from the game PERMANENTLY. (Exception: An Investigator Devoured during final combat with the AO will be "rescued" if the AO is defeated.)
-Defeated Ancient Ones are banished PERMANENTLY.
-Encounters are read by a different player than who is having the Encounter. Reading stops at the point of any decision or skill check so outcomes are not known until the player either makes a decision or passes/fails the check.
-If a named Ally to be gained from an encounter is not in the Ally deck, that Ally card can be taken from the box while a random Ally from the deck is discarded to maintain the number in the deck.

-All other game rules must be followed exactly as described via rulebook/FAQ/determined via consensus or discussion on BGG.

Investigators:

Jenny Barnes {3} (me)
Joe Diamond {2} (me)
Michael McGlen {3} (friend)
Tommy Muldoon {3} (friend)
Akachi Onyele {3} (new guy)

Ancient One:

Tsathoggua
History: None. We knew he was the toughest we had ever faced and we weren't looking forward to the pain he would likely unleash. Coming off of an 8 game winning streak, we wondered how we'd fare against this baddie.

Whereas the previous game was bland to the point of not deserving a write up, this one would be the exact opposite.

Our starting items weren't too bad though low on offensive power which we needed with the extra monsters 5 Investigators would bring. However, Jenny began with an Elder Sign so we hoped to make the most of that. We knew we didn't want Tsathoggua waking up since there'd be next to no chance of defeating him that way so we had to go for Seals.

While Akachi gathered Clues to make her Gate runs, Jenny passed off her Elder Sign to Tommy while she continued to use her money to shop for anything that might help the team. Michael became our monster killing force while Joe split his duties between gathering Clues for Gates and killing whatever he could.

Michael had to go into a gate and got it closed without a Seal and Tommy eventually got through the Gate at the Witch House and used our Elder Sign to get our first Seal. Sadly, things started to get rocky from there. Thanks to unfortunate encounters, Akachi's stamina was very low and a Cthuthonian managed to knock her unconscious giving her her first Injury.

As we were rallying to come back, a Gate Burst arrives at the Witch House taking away our only Seal. We're back to no Seals and the Doom Track is almost half filled. It wasn't good for our morale.

Jenny found herself in Velma's Diner when an Encounter asked her if she wanted to get involved in a fight to stop some unruly patron. The wording of the card led me to believe that it would lead to revealing the Velma's Gratitude card, which we had never seen. So Jenny went for it, earning an Injury card. It was a Back Injury. Not good at all. But, as predicted, Velma's Gratitude was turned over and... it SUCKS! Jenny got crippled for THAT?! I couldn't believe it...

Akachi made her way into another Gate, survived it and got the Seal. We were back up to one. Then our luck turned south and fate pushed the throttle to full.

Akachi proceeded to get knocked out two turns in a row. First a Sprained Ankle brought her up to two Injury cards and she decided not to take an Injury on her next unconsciousness. After that, Jenny got knocked out and drew her second Injury card. It was Sprained Ankle! Had Akachi decided to draw a card the turn before, she would have been devoured by getting two Sprained Ankles! We didn't know if that was good luck or not, but we took whatever we could get. Meanwhile, Joe and Tommy also got knocked out and Michael was driven Insane. I had never seen so many Injury and Madness cards in play.

Akachi's last unconsciousness had been in the Other World and sent her Lost in Time and Space. The number of Gates were getting out of hand and our only two people who were in the OW (Akachi and Tommy) both got sent LiTaS nearly simultaneously. When Akachi finally came out, she appeared on another Gate to try to close it before the final one could open and awaken Tsathoggua. She had to spend nearly half of her Clues to sneak past the monster on the Gate but she was successful. Once inside, her first Encounter knocked her out for the fourth time sending her LiTaS once more. At this point we had 7 Injury Cards and 1 Madness card between the 5 Investigators. Unbelievable.

After that, the 7th Gate Opened (we had the item that increases the number of open Gates before awakening) and Tsathoggua woke.

Michael was the only one capable of going more than one round but we played out the combat just to see how much damage we could do. Our five doomed heroes got two Doom Tokens removed before the inevitable happened and they were swallowed alive, dragged in to Tsathoggua's waiting mouth by that hideous tongue.

The winning streak has ended and five more Investigators are out forever. But we learned a valuable lesson: Velma's Gratitude is not worth any effort of getting!!

In addition, the Dunwich board still had no relevance in our game. No one went there, except Akachi who appeared at Gardner's Place from LiTaS on the very last turn of the game. I just can't justify having it in the game anymore. It's beyond useless.

Final Count:

Doom Track - 13
Terror Track - 3
Gates Sealed - 2 (1 burst)
Investigators Incapacitated - 4 (Joe 1, Jenny 1, Tommy 1, Akachi 4)
Investigators Insane - 1 (Michael)
Investigators Devoured - 5

W(D)-L Record:

Abhoth 1(1)-0
Glaaki 0-0
Shudde M'ell 1-0
Tsathoggua 0-1

Games: 11-4
Six Seals Wins 5
Closed Gates Wins 2
Final Combat Wins 4

Current Streak: 1 Loss

Obituaries:

Ashcan Pete (Devoured by Cthulhu / Game 5)
Dexter Drake (Devoured by Cthulhu / Game 5)
Gloria Goldberg (Devoured by Cthulhu / Game 5)
Jim Culver (Devoured by Cthulhu / Game 5)
Bob Jenkins (Devoured by Yog-Sothoth / Game 6)
Darrell Simmons (Devoured by Yog-Sothoth / Game 6)
Diana Stanley (Devoured by Yog-Sothoth / Game 6)
Leo Anderson (Devoured by Yog-Sothoth / Game 6)
Wilson Richards (Died from Injuries / Game 7)
Jenny Barnes (Devoured by Tsathoggua / Game 15)
Joe Diamond (Devoured by Tsathoggua / Game 15)
Michael McGlen (Devoured by Tsathoggua / Game 15)
Tommy Muldoon (Devoured by Tsathoggua / Game 15)
Akachi Onyele (Devoured by Tsathoggua / Game 15)

Banished Ancient Ones:

Azathoth 1-0
Cthulhu 2(1)-1
Hastur 1-0
Ithaqua 1-0
Nyarlathotep 1-0
Shub-Niggurath 1-1
Yig 1-0
Yog-Sothoth 1(1)-1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
In addition, the Dunwich board still had no relevance in our game. No one went there, except Akachi who appeared at Gardner's Place from LiTaS on the very last turn of the game. I just can't justify having it in the game anymore. It's beyond useless.

Thanks again for the excellent report; very much enjoying your sessions.

Inactivity at Dunwich is a real problem; it's a riot when Dunwich gets going, and complicates everything in such interesting ways... but it is a rarity when you only use Dunwich.

That said, we frequnetly used the Dunwich Board in the days before we got Miskatonic Horror, because it was so much fun when it (very occasionally)flared into action.

The Miskatonic Horror expansion improvse the situation quite a bit, but Dunwich will still be a factor in only some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:

Thanks again for the excellent report; very much enjoying your sessions.

Inactivity at Dunwich is a real problem; it's a riot when Dunwich gets going, and complicates everything in such interesting ways... but it is a rarity when you only use Dunwich.

That said, we frequnetly used the Dunwich Board in the days before we got Miskatonic Horror, because it was so much fun when it (very occasionally)flared into action.

The Miskatonic Horror expansion improvse the situation quite a bit, but Dunwich will still be a factor in only some games.

Thanks for the comments. It's interesting to hear that Dunwich still doesn't get a lot of action even with MH. I thought that MH would really kick the town of Dunwich into high gear but I guess not. I'm still a ways off from getting MH, but I was planning for the future.

Even though I have Innsmouth Horror already (and really would like to try it) I think I may bite the bullet and order Kingsport Horror from the US and add that after Dunwich.

...Assuming we ever stop Tsathoggua. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
It's interesting to hear that Dunwich still doesn't get a lot of action even with MH. I thought that MH would really kick the town of Dunwich into high gear but I guess not.

Don't get me wrong... MH makes a very noticable difference in the amount of Dunwich activity. It's just that you will still have some games in which, by luck of the draw, it's not much of a factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.