Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Man Vs Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb

Or rather the lack of him Where is his videos? Or himself.

I know there's been threads about that earlier so you don't even have to answer.

Drakkenstrike we miss you (and your videos =P)

Haven't seen much from the dice tower either but maybe I usually looked through various games and just don't watch many games any more. Should check their youtube channel instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am sure a large group of us really miss his videos, the fact is he was burned badly by what he saw as his hobby, it probably left a bad taste in his mouth and he is probably not doing much of anything hobby related.

Do we miss the videos? Sure. Do I expect him to come back? No, not really. Although it would be nice to see an occasional post from him saying if he ever plans to return to reviewing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's sad he is MIA but the Dice Tower are still doing great things and the wonder is still there if you know where to look:
Virgin Queen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
...the fact is he was burned badly by what he saw as his hobby, it probably left a bad taste in his mouth and he is probably not doing much of anything hobby related.

I'm not familiar with how he was burned. What happened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
I'm not familiar with how he was burned. What happened?
I have no idea but it's more fun doing things because you want to then before you should .. Fun vs burden and so on. Must take a lot of time to do something well planed and edited vs just filming something and saying what comes up atm.

Maybe no-one knows / it was just what the grandparent thought.

I spend a lot of time on shit which doesn't really matter or "do" anything to.

I'll watch the virgin queen video

Tipped my 25 cent to Drakkenstrikes video thread as a thanks for all his work at least . He probably deserve more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/58158/drakkenstrikes-compo...

look at the comment section for his overview.

Basicly some players in the industry were using his videos without permission. When be asked them to stop - they were unkind and even suggested legal action. In the end I think as he had recieved very little reward from the industry that they had taken advantage. We still don't know who in the industry this was - I'll boycott when I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
We still don't know who in the industry this was - I'll boycott when I do.

I'll be right there with you.

Thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on my iphone earlier so here are some choice quotes:

Taken from his replies in the comment section of his geeklist:
Quote:
Why hasn't there been a video in such a long time? Just curious, thanks.

Lots of factors....most of all, the Industry is being to show it's darker side to me. There is a lot I could go into, but I'd rather just let it all boil over until I've regained my composure.

Quote:
There are some fairly ridiculous legal issues that I am working through b/c some "Industry Players" whom I will refrain from naming (ie. Manufacturer and/or Publisher) feel that my videos should become a public commodity and that I should retain no rights to them, either intellectually or financially. What's upsetting and absurd to me is that in the past year that I have been providing this service for the Community and Industry as a whole, I have never once asked for a single dime from a company, retailer, publisher or website....I've done it purely with my own personal funds and through the donations of a few individuals who felt like contributing to my cause.

Now, in a nutshell, my over 3,000 hours of labor are being threatened as the parties involved state that my work is not owned by me (Drakkenstrike Videos) and can be publicly used when and where those said parties feel it plausible since I do not own the rights either intellectually or financially. To be completely blunt, I informed a Manufacturer and/or Publisher that I was not comfortable with them using my work for their monetary gain with no contract and/or future deal that would allow me to continue my work with them in the same manner that I have always provided, which is getting games early so that I could showcase them to the public in a timely manner. The parties involved didn't like that, so they involved their lawyers to threaten me into allowing them to use my work as they saw fit.

However, knowing that I have personally created a huge number of sales for numerous titles in the market, I am not sure what person, myself included, would work for 3,000 hours with donations totaling only $420. I've now done this huge catalog of work b/c I loved making videos not because I wanted to make money, but when someone threatens to not only take my own rights away, but ask me to now pay for those same rights to do future videos, then I simply have to walk away.

Quote:
Just a quick note since this seems to be a hotbed of activity and lots of assumptions are going on here. I am not personally looking for handouts, cash, a slush fund or a mob of any sort to assist me in any way with these matters. At the moment, I am just trying to retain my personal rights to my works which I believe are of a great benefit to the community and industry as a whole, and are completely my own creation and vision.

When I approached this venture in September 2010, my goal was to provide the BGG and Board Game Community with a High End Video Review format that mirrored the works of some of the best Video Game websites in the market(ie. IGN, Gametrailer's, etc), however, with one major difference.....those reviewers get paid for their work as it is their Job and main source of income. I did not fall into this role thinking that I was going to accumulate wealth from becoming a Reviewer, but I did believe that since my work would be so vastly different than what the community has experienced in the past, that it would catch on quickly and become a great source of influence for potential buyers and publishers/manufacturers alike. Because of the way I present my work and the huge amount of time dedicated to each individual video, I strongly believe that I, and only I own the rights to my own catalog of work and have all legal right to grant or deny permission to those said parties who wish to benefit financially off of my Videos.

For those publishers that I have worked with in the past, the overwhelming majority have been wonderful and very honest in their dealings with me, and I have almost on every single occasion allowed them to host my Videos at no charge indefinitely because there is value that is being awarded to both sides (sales for the Publisher/Manufacturer, early released games for me to showcase).

This particular incident revolves around a group of parties who felt that it was in their best interest to take my Videos without my approval or permission, even after being asked not to, and using them on their own accord. This I cannot tolerate or allow.

Again, this is not about Money....it never has been. It's about retaining the rights to my work and having full discretion for their use.

Finally, I will not mention any names involved as it would irrevocably harm relations both now and in the future for a variety of parties. I am not a vindictive person, but I will fight this to the end as I take enormous pride in my work and think it is some of the best stuff in the community and has a huge amount of underlying value that cannot be accounted for simply on paper.

More recently he posted this:
Drakkenstrike Videos

Quote:
Hello all...just dropping in to say hello. I know I have been away for some time, and I don't want to stir the pot too much so I will make my visit brief.

I've been well, been working on moving/getting ready to move/selling a home/finding a new home etc etc all in the dead of winter, so my time has been extremely truncated. Likewise, with the Superbowl in town, I spent about 110 hours/week working on several panels making sure my portion of the event went over well. My gaming has been almost non-existent during this time for those reasons, as well as other previously stated ones. However, I do plan to start up again with my gaming soon, so for that I am excited. I have been out of the loop for awhile now, so I will try to find my footing as time rolls forward.

Drakkenstrike

He is also actively logging into his account - Que any Starwars quote you like...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Basicly some players in the industry were using his videos without permission. When be asked them to stop - they were unkind and even suggested legal action. In the end I think as he had recieved very little reward from the industry that they had taken advantage. We still don't know who in the industry this was - I'll boycott when I do.

Looks like:

Having made extensive use of various publisher's copyrighted and trademarked material for his own productions (without license or payment), Drakkenstrike was unhappy when those companies wanted to make use of his material (without license or payment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:

Looks like:
Having made extensive use of various publisher's copyrighted and trademarked material for his own productions (without license or payment), Drakkenstrike was unhappy when those companies wanted to make use of his material (without license or payment).

Ah come on - why post that?

i) His use is within the copyright fair use clause.
ii) There is a total power imbalance - a company with lawyers versus an individual.
iii) His video's were not used for commercial reasons - he wasn't selling he was reviewing.
iv) The only copyright he may have infringed on was in the sound track and that is not owned by the games' industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I'd say that the main reason for the feeling of boredom, or more to the point, non-excitement is that we're in the mid-year lull. Not a lot of action is happening on the game release front.

aliquis wrote:
Nothing to watch and so on.

It's
Jeremy Salinas
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Man Vs Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb

Or rather the lack of him

I don't think it's fair to say that Drakkenstrike held this site's popularity and interest on his shoulders. There are a lot of fine video and written contributors who continue to hammer away at the hobby week after week.

aliquis wrote:
Must take a lot of time to do something well planed and edited vs just filming something and saying what comes up atm.

Simply doing a free-formish video still takes a ridiculous amount of time in post. A five minute video doesn't equal 5 minutes of work.

But, yes, Drakkenstrikes time commitments were obviously exponentially bigger. Just realize that what Eekamouse, Slaqr, Marnaudo, Revgiark, and so on does isn't just recording a segment and slapping it on Youtube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
tumorous wrote:

Looks like:

Ah come on why post that?

i) His use is within the copyright of fair use cover.
ii) There is a total power imbalance - a company with lawyers versus an individual.
iii) His was not used for commercial reasons - he wasn't selling he was reviewing.
iv) The only copy right he infringed on may have been in the sound track and that is not owned by the game's industry.

Ah, I couldn't help myself. There are legal issues associated with featuring (trademarked and copyrighted) products in your own artistic creations. Those issues seem to have been skimmed over in the linked discussion. Both sides (Drakkenstrike and Nameless Gaming Corp) are trying to make claims on legal rights that, ideally, would have been preestablished with a license or contract.

That aside, I'm generally sympathetic toward the guy. I don't much care about 'intellectual property' and he probably has minimal legal recourse against some big hairy gaming company. So screw those jerks, and do I hope he's able to get back to making his fancy, shiny reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

Looks like:

Well, in all probability they sold a lot more games due to his reviews. So that is in effect is "payment" to them. And, if they continue to "advertise" their product with his reviews, which in turn increases sales, that is even more "payment" for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no business expert but isn't Drakkenstrike's videos his own IP, regardless of the content? And isn't that a sellable commodity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
xibxang wrote:
I'm no business expert but isn't Drakkenstrike's videos his own IP, regardless of the content? And isn't that a sellable commodity?

Well, there's been no mention of if he paid for or got permission to use any of the copyrighted music overlayed on his videos. If he was paying for use then his videos cost way more than you'd think. Licensing music is ridiculously expensive. Hopefully he had friends in the biz that allowed him to use those tracks at cost. Typically this form of thing is mentioned in the credits at the end of videos or at their companion websites though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I knew there was a lack of videos but didn't know the story behind it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Drakkenstrike trademarked his name, then he might be the one who could stop others from using his video without permission. Otherwise, a publisher can probably share his link as youtube TOU agreeements probably allow.

To me, the happy median should have been Drakkenstrike not spending so much time on each video and then not feeling like he was entitled to quid pro quo for the video from the publisher. I would rather not see reviewers getting payments or expecting payments from publishers, otherwise their reviews are completely worthless as reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:
We still don't know who in the industry this was - I'll boycott when I do.

I'll be right there with you.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a publisher and their lawyers need a punch in the nose. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Or a Boycott.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have liked the big nameless company to be named so they can be shamed by the users, number in powers, boycott, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
Yeah, there's a lot of established case law for this.

As Drakkenstrike, I'd fight back like a smartass.

Send a cease & desist order to the ISP stating that they are hosting/linking to unauthorized material.

What material is that?

The narration. The words he's written and *his own voice* are his property. The soundtrack and the images of the games can probably be argued (and I suspect he'd be in the right of it) but simply demanding the publisher remove his voice track from all the videos before using them again would be... amusing... especially since if you target the ISP they *have* to comply, and then an objection can be filed later.

I *really* want to know who this publisher is so I can vote with my dollars. I'll bail on anyone.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
tumorous wrote:

Looks like:

Ah come on - why post that?

i) His use is within the copyright fair use clause.
iii) His video's were not used for commercial reasons - he wasn't selling he was reviewing.
iv) The only copyright he may have infringed on was in the sound track and that is not owned by the games' industry.

Yeah, and the company's use of his videos was probably fair use too. Except we'll never find out, because he never revealed this mystery company or what the company actually did.

What tumorous said here is pretty accurate, since you can be almost certain that Jeremy's use of music in his videos is copyright infringement.

A copyright infringer got mad about someone else infringing on his copyrights. What a tragedy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's made BGG boring is the lack of
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
and
Agnes A.
Estonia
Keila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what this reminds me of?

Bill Watterson's conundrum with Calvin and Hobbes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming the original publisher is still hosting said videos, I'm sure a little cross-referencing with DS's list of vids and said publishers would give us a short list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.