Hide
8 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on searching... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Damax
msg tools
I just got this game, and have been playing it with my kids. They like to hole up in a building, never move, and keep searching over and over. Which is fine, they are kids, but it leads me to wonder - is that broken? Sure, all the zombies will swarm them, but what reason is there to move from building to building? Get in one, and search the one over and over til you find the cards you need. Theres no incentive to move...

And also, they like searching with zombies in their square before a fight. That just doesnt seem right... can you search with a zombie in your square? If you can NOT, I missed it in the rules.

(And if you cannot, it solves issue #1, you need to keep moving)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the scenario. If your playing the base scenario (kill 15 zeds) then yes..this is a super simple solution.. hunker down..stock up and kill em as they come to you..

Most other scenarios are going to need you to move to different objective spots to rescue, search or attack. In addition if your just playing the base game with the starter 40 card deck, then your missing the ultra killy zed cards in the advanced, that ill solve the camping human dilemma real quick...and forget about using the Grave zombie zeds.. humans will run..

Also it depends on how you play zeds.. if you feed them one tow at a time..yea.. hold up , spawn your zeds..then hit in a wave... no hero..NO HERO will survive in the same space as 3-4 zeds with one attack and a couple of "Ugggghhh" cards..

The rules are written as such for leniency for the heroes due to the over whelming number of zombies that can corner them.

Searching in a space witha Zed is allowed as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renee McIntyre
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above. If you are playing with the advanced deck and they are still searching a lot before zombies get to them, then I would question if you were doing zombie fights correctly. I know I roll terribly so if a zombie is in my space, I make a run for it because I'll get wounded. Plus, with the advanced deck you never know when they'll have a "I'm feeling kindof strange" card and sometimes I can't afford to lose a hero. But sometimes heroes do get lucky and just have tons of time to search if the zombie player isn't getting any good cards to play.

Also, as the zombie player you should try to use every card in your hard each turn so you can draw 4 new cards. Rarely is it beneficial to wait for the right situation to occur for you to save a card. I always discard before I draw to pull the max amount of cards I can get. Zombies can always shuffle if they run out of cards, but that's never happened to me. So their searching a lot could be due to how the zombie player is playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
Denmark
Danmark
flag msg tools
That's right. I've got overtext, b****!©
badge
What did I just say?
mbmbmbmbmb
One way of getting them to move out of the buildings, is simply not to move the zombies close enough for the humans to shot them. The zombie-hunger rule only affect zombies one square away.
It might not be thematical for the zombies to stay away from the humans, but I don't think there are any rules that forbid it. Furthere more it can actually increase the difficulty for the humans if the zombies actually try to win rather than just stumble towards the humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Damax
msg tools
Good point. If the zombies don't really KNOW they are in there, why would they wander in. Thematically, zombies mill about and do, well, nothing, til they sense humans. I may go with the "Walking Dead" feel that the zombies dont really notice you til they see you (line of sight within X number of spaces) or hear you... that way, you can sit and scrounge for items all you want, but then you need to kill 15 zombies in the 4 rounds you have left...

Thanks for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
It depends on the scenario. If your playing the base scenario (kill 15 zeds) then yes..this is a super simple solution.. hunker down..stock up and kill em as they come to you..

Why would they come to you? Is the zombie player trying to lose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

Why would they come to you? Is the zombie player trying to lose?

I hear this a lot. Seems some zombie players can't get their heads around playing the zombies as a thinking swarm rather than mindless walkers. Zombies only have to do one thing, and that's move into a human's space while adjacent. Other than that, they should be moved around strategically and not just mindlessly stumble towards their death....um, well, their second death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the search or move rule is one of the few weaknesses of this very good game. You have to play scenarios which do force the players to move to different locations, otherwise it can get very boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.