Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Present: Dey, Roger, Janet, Doug, Debbie, Tina, Alan, David, Julian, Graeme

Doug Adams writes:

Our segregated evening saw a boys table and a girls table busy gaming away, until Graeme arrived and joined the women. Obviously in touch with his inner self... :)

Roger and Doug played a quick game of Schotten-Totten, a 2 player Knizia game, while uttering silent prayers for some more male company to arrive.

This is a simple card game where the theme is, of all things, Scottish clans feuding over the boundary stones between two tracts of land. The boundary stones are 9 cards that are set out between the two players. A deck of 54 cards (six suits of 1-9) are shuffed and dealt out. Players on their turns play one card against a boundary stone and draw a replacement card into their hand of six.

The object is to claim five boundary stones, or three in a row. Stones are claimed by forming 3 card poker hands on your side of the stone, trying to defeat the hand the opponent is building. Hand order is straight flush, 3 of a kind, flush, straight and finally wild rabble (no special hand).

An interesting mechanic is before you place a card you can claim a stone if you've build up your three cards and can prove that it cannot be defeated. This keeps the players on their toes because it may mean the difference between a win and a loss.

Our game was played at breakneck speed as David and Alan had arrived. Roger basically thumped Doug, 5 stones to 1.

David and Alan tried it later in the evening.

David writes:
"A first game for Alan and I.

Yet another Reiner Knizia game. How I wish I could design full-time...when I wasn't playing games, reading books etc

Very easy to get into, though I had to keep reminding myself of the priority of the 3 card sets. I got off to a dream start, being dealt a 9,8,7 in the same suit. One down. My second stone was not within two of my first stone, but third and fourth soon followed next to my first stone. One was three 8's, Alan having played two 8's whilst I kept one in my hand. I think I did the same with 6's. The other one was another 9,8,7 in a matching suit (built up over a few turns).

Another quick and light card game, but this time for two players.

David 3 in a row (+1)
Alan 0"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.