BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games you really love... But you don't actually play very much? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm obsessed with the LotR LCG. I can't get enough of it. I have all of the expansions and APs (all sleeved of course), I regularly check in on the BGG LotR forum, the official FFG forum and I listen to the excellent Cardboard of the Rings podcast.

Except I don't actually play the game that often. I get plenty of opportunity to do it, too. I just never seem to get round to it, if that makes sense? My wife loves Quarriors and Puerto Rico and I do too so most times we get around the table, LotR gets the cold shoulder.

But because of reading the forums and listening to the podcast, I seem to be pretty well up on the rules, the card combos du jour and the incoming hotness. I suppose you can say that I talk a good game. Yet I only play the game (solo; I much prefer it solo) about once per week, sometimes more.

Am I weird? Is there a game you adore with every fibre of your being but yet you don't play it as much as other games in your collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great Geeklist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I Stand. It's a whole-day commitment on a subject many of my friends dislike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape is the lifeblood of my gaming universe but I really only get to play it a few times a year. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's an annoying fact but pretty much anything that takes more than 2-3 hours has to be planned for specifically these days, and do not even talk about trying to get any meaningful role game campaign to keep running Sheesh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out my Geeklist I made earlier this year.

...games you long to play, but realize you possibly never will...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
Check out my Geeklist I made earlier this year.

...games you long to play, but realize you possibly never will...

Awesome list! Thankfully, I get to play Sid Meier's Civilization about once per month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
xibxang wrote:
Awesome list! Thankfully, I get to play Sid Meier's Civilization about once per month.

Rub it in, why don't you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
xibxang wrote:

Rub it in, why don't you.

You can come over any time we're playing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
xibxang wrote:
You can come over any time we're playing it!

I have to go shopping first, so I might be about 3 weeks late, but I'm there!

Or just Skype me in! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love Junta but the last time I played it was the summer of 1986!

It has a couple drawbacks that keep it on the shelf, of course. You need at least four players to get the most out of it and it takes too long to finish.

Still a great game though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura BlueFrost
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb

Descent: by far comes first due to its hard to explain rules and play time length.

Earth Reborn: Too complex and competitive.

A Game of Thrones, the board game: For obvious reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Akrham Horror (time/space commitment)
A Few Acres of Snow (no one to play)
Gettysburg (time/space commitment/player)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmotomb wrote:

Descent: by far comes first due to its hard to explain rules and play time length.

Earth Reborn: Too complex and competitive.

A Game of Thrones, the board game: For obvious reasons.

Can I make a confession? I really don't think Descent is that good. I gave my first ed big box copy away to a raffle yesterday.

I know, I know. I should hang my head in shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights. My usual play group likes SRS STRTGY games, not fluffy stuff to play with friends with drinks and snacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Powell
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm obsessed with the LotR LCG. I can't get enough of it. I have all of the expansions and APs (all sleeved of course), I regularly check in on the BGG LotR forum, the official FFG forum and I listen to the excellent Cardboard of the Rings podcast.

Except I don't actually play the game that often. I get plenty of opportunity to do it, too. I just never seem to get round to it, if that makes sense? My wife loves Quarriors and Puerto Rico and I do too so most times we get around the table, LotR gets the cold shoulder.

But because of reading the forums and listening to the podcast, I seem to be pretty well up on the rules, the card combos du jour and the incoming hotness. I suppose you can say that I talk a good game. Yet I only play the game (solo; I much prefer it solo) about once per week, sometimes more.

I feel like I practically could have written this myself. When I do get it out I play (read: lose) as many games in a row as I can. The rest of the time I just look through the cards - over and over whispering 'my precious, my precious' the whole time.

I'd also put Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization in here as well. Goodness do I love that game... though I don't know when I'll ever play it again!

Silent Death is yet another... I watched ebay daily waiting for a reasonably priced/conditioned set. And now, it's just sitting there. Waiting.

Thankfully I get a lot of satisfaction from all the other great games that end up getting my and my friends' attention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had to trade away a few of said games already and am finding myself having to trae a few more of them away too....My all time fav that I just recently traded away was Taluva. LOVED that game but no one in my group got it or liked it so I could never get any of them to play it. The other games on my list might sound odd for some but they are on my list simply due to the people in my main group...

Small World
Cuba
Dungeon Lords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpowelltheowl wrote:

I'd also put Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization in here as well. Goodness do I love that game... though I don't know when I'll ever play it again!

While you're waiting to bring this one to the table you can keep your eye in here:

http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands down...

Tigris & Euphrates - I love it, but it does not get the table time it should...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus
Puerto Rico

I'm afraid I'm the only one in my group who really likes them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Android for me.
I've played it a couple of times with my weekend Descent/Ameritrash group, but we rarely get together these days. The people I usually play with at my FLGS aren't into that kind of game at all.
So it sits in the closet. Sad, neglected and waiting. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's one reason I am careful with listed game lengths for games. An awesome one hour game is going to get played many more times than an awesome four hour game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer6 wrote:
I really love Junta but the last time I played it was the summer of 1986!

It has a couple drawbacks that keep it on the shelf, of course. You need at least four players to get the most out of it and it takes too long to finish.

Still a great game though!

No way I'm beating that given that I was born in 1996!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande for me.....I've only played three 6 round games since I started recording plays in Dec 2010....of course I got the decenteniel edition but haven't even played a full 9 round game let alone the expansions. For some reason it just hasn't clicked with most people I game with *sigh*. maybe I'll pull it out for my birthday and at least get a sympathy play in this year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Android for me as well. I get to play about once a year. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.