Hide
12 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Turkey and Greece in Western or Eastern Europe? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cruz
msg tools
On my board, these countries look like they're colored in Western Europe color. However, geographically, they seem eastern. Are they in Western or Eastern Europe for the purposes of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Western. Its about political connections more than about geographical location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah they're in Western Europe for game purposes. The divide between Western and Eastern here is less geographical and more cultural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Riku Riekkinen wrote:
Western. Its about political connections more than about geographical location.

Exactly. Bear in mind that Turkey certainly was a NATO member and although I'm less sure I think Greece was as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
purduecruiser wrote:
On my board, these countries look like they're colored in Western Europe color. However, geographically, they seem eastern. Are they in Western or Eastern Europe for the purposes of the game?

Canada is also in Western Europe for game purposes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
purduecruiser wrote:

Libya & Egypt are not in Africa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cruz
msg tools
Thanks

The rules do specifically refer to Canada, but I didn't see anything about Greece or Turkey. The coloring on my board doesn't seem particularly perfect, so I was trying to do the best guesswork that I could. I also didn't realize that Turkey was a NATO country, so that does make a lot more sense. However, I know a lot of the Muslim-majority countries had an awful lot of Soviet influence, so I figured it could have gone either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
purduecruiser wrote:
Thanks

The rules do specifically refer to Canada, but I didn't see anything about Greece or Turkey. The coloring on my board doesn't seem particularly perfect, so I was trying to do the best guesswork that I could. I also didn't realize that Turkey was a NATO country, so that does make a lot more sense. However, I know a lot of the Muslim-majority countries had an awful lot of Soviet influence, so I figured it could have gone either way.

Greece and Turkey are both members of NATO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I actually think that Turkey would win the "Which countries politics/stand has been most against Russia/USSR in the history?" contest. At least from the history I've read the russo-turkey relations have been in the awful-war axis constantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Riku Riekkinen wrote:
I actually think that Turkey would win the "Which countries politics/stand has been most against Russia/USSR in the history?" contest. At least from the history I've read the russo-turkey relations have been in the awful-war axis constantly.

Just think about the Cuban Missle Crisis, where the US also pulled some rockets back (just as the USSR did in Cuba) from Turkey.
I think that shows their stance was more western orientated the towards the USSR.
Also don't forget that they are neighbours, and that the USSR always some issues with their neighbours zombie

Cheers,
Haring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
purduecruiser wrote:

This is frustrating to no end Makes me feel like I can't count properly when trying to determine whether or not I've met the condition for Domination as the Soviets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NESTOR THOMOPOULOS
msg tools
Greece is south-east Europe and Finland is north-east.Both are NATO.

England is not Europe..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.