United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
Microbadge: Ubuntu userMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: I design board games!Microbadge: Racquetball player
I'd like to play around with making my own game dials, such as those in King of Tokyo, but I'm not sure what is best to use for fasteners. In larger board games it won't matter much, but I have a couple of projects where keeping the dials as thin as possible will be essential. So, what I can use as a fastener for the dials that won't add a lot of thickness?

From gallery of spokosin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Heroscape fanMicrobadge: Superman fanMicrobadge: I couldn't care less what color I play with!Microbadge: This is how I roll...Microbadge: Bacon lover
Paper rivets are what are typically used, similar to these.

http://www.hang-shop.com/uk/rivets/rivets.php

You can probably find them at a scrapbooking area in a craft store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
Microbadge: Ubuntu userMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: I design board games!Microbadge: Racquetball player
Ah, that's what they're called, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
Microbadge: Artipia Games "Among the Stars: The Ambassadors" Contest participantMicrobadge: Wizards of the Coast Conquest of Nerath Contest participantMicrobadge: Dexikon fanMicrobadge: Resident Evil Deckbuilding Game Contest participantMicrobadge: Wellycon attendee
I use what I grew up referring to as split pins, but appear to now be call brass fasteners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_fasteners

Not to be confused with bra fasteners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
Microbadge: Big Trouble in Little China: The Game fanMicrobadge: Secrets of the Lost Tomb fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Space Cadets: Away Missions fan
You might want a sex bolt, also known as a Chicago screw.

I didn't make those names up but they remind me of the joke about someone arriving in Boston (known for its seafood) and asking their taxi driver where they can get scrod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
Microbadge: Smutty humor fanMicrobadge: Benny Hill fanMicrobadge: Buddy Holly fanMicrobadge: Marilyn Monroe fanMicrobadge: Bettie Page fan
KAndrw wrote:
I use what I grew up referring to as split pins, but appear to now be call brass fasteners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_fasteners

Not to be confused with bra fasteners.
Hey, it's plural. You should be able to fasten more than one bra whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Barnard
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
In an age of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act....9/11 was an inside job and Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.
Microbadge: Think Green!Microbadge: Wind power fanMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!Microbadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
I tried this several years ago with PotR (pictured below) and am in the process of making some combat wheels for Dune. I used grommets from a badminton racquet as they are cheap and don't cause the wheels to wobble and mis-align when rotated as brass fasteners can if the hole is slightly too big. They come in a range of colours and can be cut to the right length and then melted flat with a heated screwdriver. The backs may look a bit messy though. I'd like to find some two part plastic grommets such as the ones used in El Grande or Maharaja or card clocks as used in primary schools if anyone can provide a link.

Board Game: Princes of the Renaissance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
Those are pretty nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gold Folding@Home donatorMicrobadge: HERO System fanMicrobadge: Dice (d6) fanMicrobadge: Flash Point: Fire Rescue fanMicrobadge: Letters from Whitechapel fan
Paper binding screws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
s3rvant wrote:
I'd like to play around with making my own game dials, such as those in King of Tokyo, but I'm not sure what is best to use for fasteners.
Six years late to the party here, but I thought I'd add a couple of observations.

Firstly - I just made half a dozen dual dials for my copy of Eldritch Horror, using metal 2mm-length Chicago screws with a 10mm head, and home-printed artwork on 200gsm card (slightly lighter than US 80lb), which I then laminated.

From gallery of fredd13

They work well, but one nice thing I hadn't anticipated is that the screws also give them a weighty, solid feel that the lighter paper fasteners don't. And you don't have that annoying split-pin flailing around at the back of your piece, either (which I guess you either live with or tape down). I'll definitely be buying more screws "for next time".

Secondly - I discovered that there's a hidden design decision that you need to make, when you have two dials: should the numbers on both dials run in the same direction (and if so, clockwise or counter-clockwise)? Or should they run opposite ways?

My first attempt had them running the same way round the dials (as in the graphic in the OP's post), but it somehow felt "wrong" when I came to use it. So I swapped to running them opposite ways, with counter-clockwise on the left, clockwise on the right). Why? Because it felt intuitive. The numbers in the opening increase/decrease in the same fashion - high numbers always come in from the display top, low from the bottom. You turn the bottom of the dial outwards to increase, inwards to decrease.

I might have reached a different decision (and design) if I'd had more than two dials, or even if the display had been rather bigger - but on my unit, at least, where I tend to operate the left dial with my left thumb and the right with my right, it feels "correct". But whatever - if you're making something like this, it's something to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Krause
United States
Lincoln Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love DetroitMicrobadge: Illustrator userMicrobadge: SketchUp userMicrobadge: Photoshop userMicrobadge: Foamcore box insert crafter
fredd13 wrote:
Secondly - I discovered that there's a hidden design decision that you need to make, when you have two dials: should the numbers on both dials run in the same direction (and if so, clockwise or counter-clockwise)? Or should they run opposite ways?

My first attempt had them running the same way round the dials (as in the graphic in the OP's post), but it somehow felt "wrong" when I came to use it. So I swapped to running them opposite ways, with counter-clockwise on the left, clockwise on the right). Why? Because it felt intuitive. The numbers in the opening increase/decrease in the same fashion - high numbers always come in from the display top, low from the bottom. You turn the bottom of the dial outwards to increase, inwards to decrease.

I might have reached a different decision (and design) if I'd had more than two dials, or even if the display had been rather bigger - but on my unit, at least, where I tend to operate the left dial with my left thumb and the right with my right, it feels "correct". But whatever - if you're making something like this, it's something to think about.
I had not considered this until you mentioned it but that is a very good point and I also agree with your assessment/solution. Having them increase and decrease in opposite directions makes sense intuitively to me as well.

Glad you pointed this out!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Freedom in the Galaxy fan - Adam StarlightMicrobadge: Graphic DesignerMicrobadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Vector ArtistMicrobadge: Starship Troopers fan
fredd13 wrote:
... made half a dozen dual dials for my copy of Eldritch Horror, using metal 2mm-length Chicago screws with a 10mm head....
I also use chicago screws for dials, as in these alliance dials for Cosmic Encounter.

Chicago screws come in numerous finishes and a tremendous variety of lengths.

They make dis/re/assembling dials easy and can be tightened or loosened to adjust the friction in the dial.

From gallery of aesthetocyst

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Vernier calliper fanMicrobadge: Philip K. Dick fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Print and Play Games News fan
One thing to bear in mind with Chicago screws: one half forms the outside of the 'axle' that the dial rotates around... and can rub against that axle and unscrew the post. It's worth paying attention to which way the dial is usually going to run ('up' for score dials, 'down' for health, etc.) and inserting the post in such a way as this rotation tightens the post.

Or just glue them together. The plastic ones I have are nylon, and as such there aren't really any household glues that properly work, but a bit of threadlock or superglue will help a lot - or just dent each end with a conical soldering iron tip to melt the two parts together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Freedom in the Galaxy fan - Adam StarlightMicrobadge: Graphic DesignerMicrobadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Vector ArtistMicrobadge: Starship Troopers fan
Bichatse wrote:
One thing to bear in mind with Chicago screws: one half forms the outside of the 'axle' that the dial rotates around... and can rub against that axle and unscrew the post. It's worth paying attention to which way the dial is usually going to run ('up' for score dials, 'down' for health, etc.) and inserting the post in such a way as this rotation tightens the post.

Or just glue them together. The plastic ones I have are nylon, and as such there aren't really any household glues that properly work, but a bit of threadlock or superglue will help a lot - or just dent each end with a conical soldering iron tip to melt the two parts together.
Good point, but not a problem if your dials have a stationary front and back sandwiching the rotating layers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Vernier calliper fanMicrobadge: Philip K. Dick fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Print and Play Games News fan
Trust me: the stationary front or back can make it worse - it gives something for the other half of the screw post to grip against so that the spinning actually unscrews it rather than just spinning in place.

Metal screw posts are better than nylon, and slightly oversized are better than undersized, in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls