Subject: IS this a bas multiplayer game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juan garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

How about multiplayer game of wizard kings?
Why is only recommended for 2 players? Not interesting for 4 players for example?

Thanks in advance
Pedro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, more players decreases the 'fog of war' effect which is a big part of the game.

I dont know (but Ive also never played) why it wouldnt work based on what Ive seen and read of the game.

You would have to make a scenario, or use a point system to do so.

Once I get a hold of a copy, I fully intend to try out a 5+ players game.

It will probably be a while, but Ill let you know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

huyiuk wrote:
Hi all,

How about multiplayer game of wizard kings?
Why is only recommended for 2 players? Not interesting for 4 players for example?

Thanks in advance
Pedro

WK can be played by more than 3 players (forming alliances or not).
Simple doctrine: provide at least one game board per player.
Be careful with the stacking rules and battles involving blocks of more than 2 armies.

Otherwise, there are no real problems.

Here is a snapshot of a game involving forces of the Undead, Elven, Barbarian, Dwarves and Feudals armies.

The overall tendency of the original game system to favor the defense is NOT changed though. Regardless how many players/factions are involved.

Apply an Impulse game system and Corps and the game becomes much better,

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think four players is great. But we have not been playing for total domination. Each player starts in a corner, so that means your blocks face you, so not much problem losing the fog of war until you have blocks out out from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Burkley
United States
Hillsborough
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Multi-player teams work well, be it 4, 6, or 8 players, but scenario design is important if the game is to be interesting and accomplished within a fixed time frame. Three player games are also possible, but the only ones I've played were basically 2 on 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,
And there are some type of collaboration between team players?

How much time takes a 4 players game?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jf Roustan
France
St Paul des fonts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I'm curious : what sort of impulse system do you use ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,
thanks for the question.

Ramir Elez wrote:
Hello,
I'm curious : what sort of impulse system do you use ?

The original WK system applies the classic Igo-Hugo sequence of play.
The sequence of players is determined randomly anew each turn but the active player moves (whatever she/he wants) followed by the next player and so on.

This rule - together with some other rules - create a rather sluggish or cumbersome game flow. All other players are passive, the one-time-only move option fosters a defensive posture of all sides, options for reactions DURING a game turn are very limited, and so on.

All this and more motivated me to modify the sequence of play. Some will find it drastic (and inappropriate ... how dare you!)

I wanted a highly dynamic and intense Move phase followed by a very challenging Combat phase.

The Impulse system is one element of my game system.
In short: each player gets 3 Activation counters (numbered 1, 2 and 3) and all AC are placed in the AC cup at the start of every game turn.
At start of each turn one AC is drawn and the corresponding player now has the option and is forced to activate (or commit) a minimum number of hexes where at least one of her/his blocks are located. The number on the AC provides the minimum #hexes to activate/commit.
So a player can still opt to activate all her/his units at once (even if only her/his "1" AC was drawn). The other extreme is to activate exactly the minimum hexes required.
Whenever a hex is activated, ALL blocks there must be activated.
Only activated blocks may move. But movement is still voluntarily.
Activated blocks (moved or not) are toppled backwards once they have concluded their movement (or stayed in place). This way, each block still can only be moved once per game turn.

Repeat the process of drawing AC until all blocks of all players have been activated.

This simple rule dramatically turns the game flow into a challenging "observation - aggressive/defensive - reactive - proactive" process.
Those players always waiting too long to activate their blocks will find themselves losing valuable positions after positions. Those too agressive will find their pincer moves destroyed by smart counter moves. And so on.

The impulse system is not all.
I added "intercept" and "evasion" moves.
I added corps to build much larger unit formations allowing tremendous battles to take place where the original 6 blocks per side stacking limit no longer applies. Although this stacking limit rule is still valid!

I also added a battle system replacing the dice rolling efforts by focussing on tactics (i.e. "tactics is the art of placement for battle"). The defender A units go first, followed by attacker A units, ... procedure is gone. Each battle is decided in a holistic (or comprehensive) approach. Normally each player involved in a battle will roll just 1d6 to decide the matter.

There are also leaders, their skills, different spells, different units.
But this is another story.
I currently incorporate the ANCIENT KINGS expansion.
Next step will be a Monster army led by the Enchantress (of beasts).

All my previous attempts to inspire other WK players about my ideas failed.
It must be my mistake. The system I use works.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.