Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Citadels» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can the magician trade hands with someone that's been stolen from by the thief? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Ma
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
We played this game last night and someone was building up a good gold stash and a good hand of cards and he was ready to build some serious stuff.

In the next round, the thief called out his role and took all of his coins and since his role was identified, the magician called him out and stole all of his district cards. He was left with pretty much nothing and it was hard for him for the rest of the game.

Is this really legit play? The purpose of the game was to have hidden roles. targeting someone and taking all of their gold and district cards in one round seems too harsh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's more a case of exposing poor tactics. Holding lots of cash and cards in Citadels is just a poor idea. Especially if you know you'll be choosing a card late in the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
troy4u wrote:
In the next round, the thief called out his role and took all of his coins and since his role was identified, the magician called him out and stole all of his district cards. He was left with pretty much nothing and it was hard for him for the rest of the game.

I think you were playing this wrong on two counts.

First of all, when the Assassin and the Thief name roles, nothing happens immediately...in the case of the assassin, the named role is simply skipped over when going through the turn order. In the case of the Thief, the victim doesn't hand over their money until their role is announced as a part of standard turn order. Thus, the magician doesn't know what player (if any) will be stolen from.

Second of all, unlike with assassin and the thief, the magician names a player not a role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think that the Magician had to announce the role they were trading with. We've always played that they just trade hands with whatever player they want (usually whoever has the most cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the above answers are correct; the person who has been robbed by the thief is not identified until their turn, the magician names a player, not a role.

And yes, it is pretty harsh. And inevitable when you stockpile coins and cards in citadels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Ma
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
fizzmore wrote:
troy4u wrote:

First of all, when the Assassin and the Thief name roles, nothing happens immediately...in the case of the assassin, the named role is simply skipped over when going through the turn order. In the case of the Thief, the victim doesn't hand over their money until their role is announced as a part of standard turn order. Thus, the magician doesn't know what player (if any) will be stolen from.

Second of all, unlike with assassin and the thief, the magician names a player not a role.

I don't think this is correct. The thief gets the money immediately so they can use it that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
troy4u wrote:
fizzmore wrote:
troy4u wrote:

I don't think this is correct. The thief gets the money immediately so they can use it that round.

Sorry, no. The Thief has to wait for the Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
troy4u wrote:

I'm 100% sure I'm correct. To quote from the rules directly (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Announce the title of a character from whom you wish to steal. When the player who has that character is called upon to take his turn, you first take all of his gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Turner
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Thief takes the Gold at the beginning of the turn of the player who is named as his target. For example, if the Thief names the King as his target, the thief gets the King's gold when the King is revealed, not on the Thief's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Ma
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
Ohhh you are correct here! Thanks
Is the magician really to name player and not roles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
troy4u wrote:
Ohhh you are correct here! Thanks
Is the magician really to name player and not roles?

Yes, he picks a player and switches hands immediately, unlike the assassin and thief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vagelis
Greece
Πειραιάς
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
player number 1 is the killer
2 is the thief
3 the magician
the killer said that i kill the thief so the thief doesnt play.the magician can he change his hand with the player of the thief?
i think that he can do that but i want to confirm from someone!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matsas wrote:
player number 1 is the killer
2 is the thief
3 the magician
the killer said that i kill the thief so the thief doesnt play.the magician can he change his hand with the player of the thief?
i think that he can do that but i want to confirm from someone!!!
Yes, they can do this. There are a few such things which are specifically forbidden*, but this is allowed.

*e.g. thief may not steal from assassin's or assassin's victim.

Edit: Note that you should not know who the thief player is at this stage
Citadels rules wrote:
The player who has the murdered character must say nothing, and must remain silent when the murdered character is called upon to take his turn. The murdered character misses his entire turn
So the situation described in the question cannot arise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.