Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb

With the set up of this quest requiring that you reveal cards from the encounter deck until at least 2 threat per player is in staging area, and with the 5 threat gaining encounter cards, it seems possible to lose before the game has begun.

I came close in a game (gained 10 threat during setup!) and ended up around 42 threat before I had even started (luckily I had the new Aragorn)

There are 3 "doomed 5" cards, and 3 locations which can raise your threat by 5 (if top card of encounter deck is a tentacle increase your threat by 5).

Since 3 of these are treachery cards they don't count as threat towards the setup of the quest.

Starting with 35 threat could end your game with only 3 of these cards, but even down at 30 threat it is possible to lose before having your first turn, however unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is. There are certainly other opening card draw orders that present you with all but certain doom. (Sleeping Sentry as the setup reveal, an enemy on a quest, and Sleeping Sentry as the shadow effect) But at least you have some chance to react and play something. Drawing 3 Wrapped cards during set up in a solo game is as close to auto death that can occur as there is almost no way to keep yourself alive at the end of the turn. (You must have Eleanor)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pfft, already had a quest that you could lose during setup, Road to Rivendell. 2+ player game needed, but 2x Undisturbed Bones = Dead Arwen, game over. And just in case you do have Eleanor, the Encounter deck has an answer for that as well, Crebain (Encounter deck effects can't be cancelled) surging into UB, then UB. Literally nothing you can do. Just a big 'ol FU quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, even "easier" quests like Anduin can be lost due to terrible set up draw. Hunt, Gate or Road all have hell ready for you (the more players the more likely). That's why I preferca fixed set up (modified by the number of players) like Osgiliath, even though that one is very hard.

The Watcher has an interesting way around it but certainly one more luck-dependent than others. Two players can easily get four or five cards but also two, and I can just imagine revealing half the encounter deck when playing a 4-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.