Leslie Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
I've started to play boardgames thanks to the iPad but now I'm keen to expand my physical collection in time for a holiday with friends

Some points to consider:
-I'd like a boardgame rather than a card game (I'll take dominion already)
-Must work well with 2 player (me and the wife) and 4 player(hols with friends)
-My friends have very little boardgames exp but they are clever enough and I'm prepared to learn the game prior to leaving so I can help teach them

Favs in my Current collection:
Domionin - base+ prosperity (fav)
Race for the galaxy
Pandemic

Fav iPad boardgames:
Puerto Rico (fav)
Ticket to ride
Elder sign
Carcassonne
Ascension
Catan
Forbidden isle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the iPad collection, you might want to consider physical versions of Carcassonne and Forbidden Island. Both are fairly easy to learn. Forbidden Island is a step down in complexity from Pandemic, but the pieces are very nice (and you can't beat the price). You also may want to take a look at Small World as a very good conquest game (it also has an iPad app that works well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers is better than regular Carc for two players, but it still works with larger numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not get a physical version of Catan and Ticket to Ride? They always go over extremely well with non-gamers, and thematically friendly, and don't overstay their welcome. Plus, you already know how to play them.

EDIT:

Noticing that Puerto Rico is your favourite iPad game, that's an extremely worthwhile game, and works with all player counts. Might be a little tough for first timers though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill R
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bapadget wrote:
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers is better than regular Carc for two players, but it still works with larger numbers.

I agree with Bruce on Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers and I would love to second Catan but I really do not think it does well with only 2 people.

San Juan is awesome great with 2 people and very good with 3 or 4, it is like a light version of Puerto Rico but it is card based, but well worth a look at.

Another thing I like to take while traveling is Qwirkle it packs in its own bag and is a ton of fun, but it is an abstract game, take a look at it here oon the geek, usually the best price on it is at Amazon.

Have fun on your trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Padget
United States
Claremont
California [CA]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T2R___Engineer wrote:

Another thing I like to take while traveling is Qwirkle it packs in its own bag and is a ton of fun, but it is an abstract game, take a look at it here oon the geek, usually the best price on it is at Amazon.

And there's a travel version of Qwirkle now out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Puerto Rico is a fave, I would suggest Agricola as a good game that plays well with 2-5 players. I would definitely suggest learning it ahead of time and playing only the family version with the other couple. It's kind of complicated, but if they handle Puerto Rico they should do fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, I've been thinking Agricola but I also thought about waiting for "All creatures big and small" I know that's going to be 2 players only. May it be over kill to have both of these games just so I can play 4 player a few times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.