Successors (third edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Battle casualties variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an idea about modifying the battle casualties for a more balanced outcome that also the winner would take some casualties more often:

Losing side's casualties: As in the normal rules.

Winner's casualties:

Case 1.

1 < (Winner's battle score / Loser's battle score) < 2

-> Winner has to roll on the attrition table for casualties (he can choose which ever troops as casualties as he likes, although he has to respect the "e" result.)

Case 2.

2 < = (Winner's battle score / Loser's battle score) < 3

Result: Winner loses 1 CU of his choice.

Case 3.

(Winner's battle score / Loser's battle score) > = 3

-> Winner doesn't lose any CUs.

Ties: As in the normal rules.

Any opinions on this variant? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I also like the idea of the winner taking casualties, but only slightly, to not change the outcome dramatically.

It has been some time since I looked into this, but I think my personal house rule was that using the same die roll as determined the battle, you look at the column corresponding to the losers combat strength. That is then the loss that the winner takes in battle.

This is a very simple way, and will also mean that the higher roll, more loser losses and the larger defeated enemy, the higher loss the winner takes, which seems to make sense.

I like this more than rolling more dice.

Enjoy.
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this could work but with smaller armies, actually better result(case 2.) would be worse than a bad battle result(case 1) since the chance of rolling one casualty from the attrition table is quite low with small number of CUs.

I think that with armies smaller than 5 CUs (1-4 CUs) the rule should be that case 1: Lose 1 CU of your choice and case 2: Roll for attrition table. Case 3: No losses to the winner.

Armies 5 CUs and higher would go as I previosly posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.