Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne McCaul
United States
Norton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Spell Wars is rapidly becoming my new favorite filler game. This seriously kicks ass!

Great job, guys!

However, there's a couple of things that I'd like to clear up:

1. Component Cards
Healing spells.
Generally, when someone casts a spell with a healing component (Mighty-Gro, King Oberon's, Dr. Rooty Bark's, etc), if the wizard is already at 20, does the wizard gain the extra hit points, boosting above 20? We've been playing that you do, mostly because it seems like the kind of mean-spirited thing battling wizards might do to gain the advantage.

Impatient
Does the damage on this card get doled out at once, or during the Quality phase of the spell? (So far, this is completely unimportant, but I figure while I'm asking questions ...)

Power Vortex
The target of this card is Each Foe, but the text seems to indicate that the spell-caster is the one trashing cards. Is that correct? The use of the word "you" in the rest of the deck seems to mean the-wizard-casting-the-spell, so we take it to mean this is a method of trashing cards from your own hand, but the Target is confusing. Unless, the casting wizard is allowed to perform the action per foe? (e.g., on a roll of 1 in a 4-player game, the caster discards 3 cards).

2. Dead Wizard Cards
Nectar of Nirvana
Is this an actual card to be played in the next match or just a joke? We've been playing that it's just a joke; (i.e., You get nothing! Ha! Ha!) But it came up that it might mean you get to play it on someone else at the next start and their outright dead, or even you are dead the next round.

Backlash from Beyond
Are all Dead Wizard cards played at the start of a new match or can a player hold on to this and dole it out later during a round? (And if Nectar is a real card, I would assume the same would be true, which could mean a real bad day for someone.)

3. Treasure Cards
Proton Gem
This acts like a Wild Magic card. Does this mean it must be 1 of the 3 components, or can it be in addition to the 3? (i.e., you get it for free?) I assume it must be 1 of the 3.

Crown of the Meek
Is this every spell cast with a dark glyph or only those cast against the owner of the Crown? We've used it as every foe's spell, regardless of target.

The Double Downer
Can this be used multiple times against the same foe for the same spell? I assume it can.

The Demon Shoes
If some else has the Crown of the Meek, will the owner of the Shoes always take damage? Owners of a treasure that adds a glyph cannot decide not to include it in their spell, correct?

There is no way to volunterily remove a treasure, correct? Players cannot just trash them at will, can they? (Lady Luck's Brassiere and Methy-Ion's Backpack of Speed, aside).

That's all that's come up so far, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
1. Healing-- Yes, you can go over 20 thru healing.
Impatient-- It happens during the Quality Phase.
Power Vortex-- The caster does the discarding. Discarding is usually a benefit, as you can find the cards you need.

2. Nectar and Backlash-- Note that these cards do not say "At the start of the next game..." They happen immediately. Nectar of Nirvana just means you don't get anything for being dead. It doesn't take effect at the start of the next game to remove you from that game.

3. Proton-- It must occupy a slot in your spell.
Crown of the Meek-- Every spell, regardless of target.
Double Downer-- Yes, you can do it multiple times during the same player's turn.
Demon Shoes-- The Demon Shoes are not cast, they are just a card sitting there. They don't attempt to resolve or anything. So you don't get dinged for them if a foe has a Crown of the Meek.

No, you can't just trash one of your Treasures without an effect that lets you.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, your HP is hard capped at 25 (rulebook p.3)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector-Xavier de Lastic
Greece
flag msg tools
Another question on the "shoe treasures" (Pumps of Power, Trickstar's Boots etc.): do they count solely when it comes to Power Rolls, or in every available circumstance? For Example, do they enhance "Delicious", "Walker Time Ranger's" and "Pew and Pew's"?

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
If something says add 1 to each roll, that does include non-power rolls.
If you aren't rolling a die, you don't get to add 1 to it.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Maybe this should be in the variants forum, but that Nectar from Nirvana card could be played at the start of the next game as a nasty negative effect on the player drawing it.
For example, play it as "At the start of the next game, you are killed immediately". However, the question is if it would be any fun, since you're eliminated from that round.

Another way to take the text "You're dead. Live with it." is that you are considered an "undead wizard" (you're living with death), meaning you would start and play the game as normal as a living wizard, but you will also draw a Dead Wizard card at the start of each round. That basically could be you Dead Wizard power from the previous game. Perhaps it's a bit too powerful, but this game isn't called random for nothing (the goal is to take the game for what it is and have fun, right).

Yes, officially this card does nothing, but interpreting the text just a little differently could give that card a funny but actual purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.