Subject: Thermal Shockwave is there any errata on it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thermal Shock wave is either a last resort or maxs out at 14 non-hero damage to a single target and 3 self damage.

Both Modules, Impale, Cold Snap, Focused Aperture, Frost-Bound Drain, and Thermal Shockwave.

Single Target

Cold Snap (1+1 Focused) + Impale (2+1 Focused) = 5 start turn cold damage

Frost-Bound Drain (3+1 Focused +3 Module) (AZ = -3fire) = 7 Play Cold Damage (AZ = 29-3fire = 27 hypothetically)

Thermal Shockwave (part 1)(1+1 Focused) = 2 Power Cold Damage

Total cold damage = 14

Thermal Shockwave (part 2)(14 fire damage to Module to 14 Cold damage to module makes AZ damage 0)

But then since its not the end of the turn a total of 28 cold damage was dealt........etc. So the damage become exponential.

Just assume the system equalizes after the AZ heal?

or

Hit with 16 and take 15 damage on a single target with only the 2 modules and Thermal Shockwave. Because you can keep looping the effect until you heal yourself instead. You could hit the target for 30 but AZ would die.

-You can panic when there is nothing else to do. Just don't panic on my carpet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thermal Shockwave just deals AZ fire damage once. It doesn't "keep updating" as more cold damage is dealt. In all fairness, maybe it should say "where X = the total amount of cold damage dealt by Absolute Zero so far this turn."

I've seen the designer give plenty of examples in the forums to indicate this is how it's intended to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nifty that means he can do 28 points of damage and take 17. It would take about 7 turns in total at minimum and definitely takes a while to recharge. Cool that makes it more balanced than I thought.

Prepost - I did a search and couldn't find the treads. Where is it posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where you're getting 28 from. I see 5 during start of turn, and there'd actually be 8 from Frost Drain (3+1, then another 3+1 from redirecting the fire), so that makes 13. You do 6 with Shockwave (1+1 x 3) which brings the total to 19. Taking that as fire and then dealing it back out as cold makes 20. Am I missing 8 somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I said single target I'm not doing the math with multiple opponents because you have 2 cards that deal area affect. You might end up killing yourself with a good number of villains. Also your right so that makes 31 damage.

You hit yourself with 15 that means you deal (15+1) totaling 31. Also you don't redirect (3+1)fire damage the focused card increases cold damage. Unless you mean after the Shockwave then yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a team game. Don't forget about how Thermal Shockwave changes if there are buffs like Legacy's Galvanize or Inspiring Presence, or if Mr. Fixer is redirecting the attack, or if Visionary has played Twist the Ether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no no I understand that and that brings up a good point. That make AZ even more interesting. You have to adapt the math to the surroundings and see what you can come up with. However, does that make him to wonderful due to his healing ability? I didn't think about it but can he actually stay immortal in the right circumstance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any hero is immortal 'under the right circumstances'.

But as to being 'too wonderful', no. He is very vulnerable to any card that changes his damage type; for example if you are playing in the Pike Industrial Complex Environment all damage can change to toxic, that can stop him dead in his tracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
It's also very easy for Thermal Shockwave's Fire damage to kill Zero before the following Cold damage can heal him, so if he's too low on health, that's not an option.

Besides, every villain has some sort of answer to a hero sitting back and being invincible (since otherwise Telekinetic Cocoon would break the game). Eventually, Citizen Dawn will pull out one of her nukes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't forget the "Pervasive Red Dust" environment card for Mars.
No more equipment = Absolutely Dead Zero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikiro wrote:
I said single target I'm not doing the math with multiple opponents because you have 2 cards that deal area affect. You might end up killing yourself with a good number of villains. Also your right so that makes 31 damage.

Ah, you meant total damage for the round. Sorry, I thought you meant 28 in one shot, that's where I was confused.
Wikiro wrote:

You hit yourself with 15 that means you deal (15+1) totaling 31. Also you don't redirect (3+1)fire damage the focused card increases cold damage. Unless you mean after the Shockwave then yes.

Agreed, you don't redirect (3+1) fire damage. You take 3 fire damage and spit back out (3+1) cold damage. The card isn't a redirect in the truest sense, because you take the damage, but the damage that comes back out IS cold, and is thus boosted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is quite wonderful. I usually get bored with a co-op because my family is into cut throat games, but this one is just so darn amazing. I love the tie-ups and the useless planning that always ends up in disaster. Ugh...good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.