Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit #2
You Can see my response on pg 2. I'm not going to change my text below. I said what I said and I'm not going to pretend it didn't happen by deleting it.

So apparently Drakkenstrike has been having some issues with a publisher using his vids as advertisements without his permission. Jeremy has done video reviews on several Asmodee titles including:
Gosu
Cyclades
Dice Town
Ghost Stories White Moon
Claustrophobia
7 Wonders + Leaders
Tikal II

It appears as though Asmodee has links to his videos in their video section on their website. It seems they've also got links to some Dice Tower and Scott Nicholson vids too.

http://us.asmodee.com/ressources/video/?cate=full

Edit
I'll take Lance's word that it wasn't Asmodee. Let me remind everyone that this was a just a question, "Is Asmodee the Culprit?" I pointed out that it matters to me but never did I call for a boycott. I used the term witch hunt in sarcastic response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Is Asmodee the culprit?
I would strongly suggest not trying to start a witch hut. His videos can been seen at various sites (such as WizKids for his Quarriors video).

If I'm to understand various statements that I've read he's given permission to have his videos hosted at different sites. The only issue is if a company is using his videos in a way that he doesn't agree with or finds unjust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Besides, if Jeremy decided to keep the name of company for himself, we should respect his decision and not make investigation out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you fellas don't want to take part in an investigation or witch hunt then you don't need to and no one will hold it against you.

If a game publisher is taking advantage of a fellow gamer, especially someone who has put as much of his free time and work into the hobby as this guy has, then it matters to me if his work is being used against his wishes.

We don't know many of the details, but as a consumer the details do matter to me, and would likely influence my purchasing decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
'moi' BLAME HasBORG! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Scratches wrote:
If you fellas don't want to take part in an investigation or witch hunt then you don't need to and no one will hold it against you.

If a game publisher is taking advantage of a fellow gamer, especially someone who has put as much of his free time and work into the hobby as this guy has, then it matters to me if his work is being used against his wishes.

We don't know many of the details, but as a consumer the details do matter to me, and would likely influence my purchasing decisions.

Well if you don't know, why don't you simply ask Jeremy?

And if he doesn't want to reveal the info for whatever reason, I don't see the point of making public insinuations/accusations that some particular company is "the culprit", thus starting rumors which could harm a company unjustly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who may have stoked the fires - something I am slowly regretting -

Witch-hunts rarely find a witch and we would be going against Jeremy's will in doing so.

I agree that registering your support and waiting silently in the wings is the right thing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb

Witch hunts will damage the reputation of reviewers and thus damage the industry as a whole because companies will no longer trust those they are not EMPLOYING to do reviews if it can burn them.

Thus reviews will turn into this game is the best thing since sliced bread becasue I am being paid to say so.
Drop this!

Please don't ruin my hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
exparrot wrote:

Witch hunts will damage the reputation of reviewers and thus damage the industry as a whole because companies will no longer trust those they are not EMPLOYING to do reviews if it can burn them.

Thus reviews will turn into this game is the best thing since sliced bread becasue I am being paid to say so.

I thought we were already there...

Why should you think that companies trusting reviewers is important? Or even relevant? There's nothing they can do to prevent reviews, and a damned good thing it is too. The only reason their trust could come into it is with regard to free review copies, and I doubt that reviewing will be diminished by the demise of such things (much the opposite in this tiny industry that works so very differently from the types of industries we generally associate reviews with).

What is important is this - can I trust the person speaking or writing to be impartial, and not be influenced by the company producing the game? Frequently I cannot answer that with a yes, both because of confirmation bias and freebies (and yes, I'm well aware of the kerfuffle about how -insert favourite reviewer here- could never be unduly influenced by free copies - you won't convince me).

Damage the industry as a whole? Piffle.

But this is just a digression.

I too would quite like to know which games company decided to appropriate someone's videos for themselves. But I'd also like to know if Jeremy's claims are accurate, because so far the details have been too scant to tell me much about anything (unless I've missed something important, but I imagine that this thread would not have come about if that were so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just leave it alone. Stirring it up now would just make Jeremy regret it more. We'd all be happy if he came back even if he never did another video, right? By having this come up and making a big deal about it, we ensure that he won't come back.

Just let it die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some people can't resist a bit of unfounded gossip can they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
Some people can't resist a bit of unfounded gossip can they?

Now all we need is some idle speculation about just who "some people" are... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if Jeremy ever gave anyone permission to actually HOST his videos, as Asmodee does.
Wasn't this kind of thing what Jeremy was talking about?

BOYCOTT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratches wrote:

I may be speaking out of turn, and so if I am contacted by Jeremy I will delete this comment.

Speaking as his friend I can assure you Asmodee is not the culprit.

Also, he has pretty much moved on from the situation from what I understand. Dredging this up won't do any good whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm not sure if Jeremy ever gave anyone permission to actually HOST his videos

Exactly - We don't know.

Which is why we should do nothing. Further, Folk need to be careful with the claims they are making as it exposes you up to a range of measures if you are wrong or can't prove them.

If you want to ask some of the other video creators whose work is being used then you'd know in their case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what?

If he put them on YouTube and all Asmodee do is embed them then I don't see a problem. Everyone can still see it's Drakkenstrikes video and he has choosen to put them on YouTube.

I guess now with HTML5 video you can even embed others video content which would be a bad thing to do and obviously even worse than actually copying them and hosting them yourself since at least then you yourself pay for bandwidth.

To have a linked video file would save from this issue since actually spreading someone else video file would interfere with the copyright of said file but who want directly linked video files today? (And you still need to make some web + file system solution to disable the possibility of direct linking the file.)

We / I don't even know if Asmodee was the problem.

I'll follow up with comments in the other thread for what I think about copyright rules / using others content in your own work.

As far as embedding goes Drakkenstrike can of course easily disable embedding on YouTube which would kill the videos both here, on Asmodee and on his own site if he had one and people would have had to visit his videos directly on YouTube but I don't see the problem with that.

If this had been posted by Drakkenstrike himself with a claim of what someone had done and it had been up to everyone to make their own decision that would had been one thing but as it's now it's purely speculation on your part it seems with no data behind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best course of action would be to Boycott EVERYONE until this situation is properly resolved. Everyone DON'T buy ANY boardgame!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Scratches wrote:
Speaking as his friend I can assure you Asmodee is not the culprit.
Thank you.

Forward my appreciation for all his work, videos and awesomeness and give the guy a huge thank you and a hug from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratches wrote:

Yeah but now UndeadViking has already shown that you're likely wrong. So now you messed up instead and hit the wrong target. what if people had listened? Will you continue picking the next random target without knowing the details and continue with that one?

Let it be. If DS wanted to discuss the issue he could do so himself.

Maybe Asmodee should be given credits instead because they connect well with the board gaming community and the reviewers and send promos to this site. Maybe it's good they show their likening for the reviewers and help spread their videos. Most people probably want their videos to be watched and appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
I think the best course of action would be to Boycott EVERYONE until this situation is properly resolved. Everyone DON'T buy ANY boardgame!!!
I thumbed this up but then I read your other comment and now I'm not sure whatever you're joking or are being serious.
monkeyhandz wrote:
Witch-hunts rarely find a witch and we would be going against Jeremy's will in doing so.
True. If he wanted to stir up support and action from the community he could had easily done so himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Yeah but now UndeadViking has already shown that you're likely wrong. So now you messed up instead and hit the wrong target.

Who knows what is really true? UndeadViking might be Asmodees spy. This conspiracy is deeper than I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
aliquis wrote:
Yeah but now UndeadViking has already shown that you're likely wrong. So now you messed up instead and hit the wrong target.

Who knows what is really true? UndeadViking might be Asmodees spy. This conspiracy is deeper than I thought.

If I was then they really need to start sending me more review copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets boycot all publishers until the evil one is found! Oh look! That game is on sale!

That didn't last long... but I got free shipping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
Tzer wrote:

If I was then they really need to start sending me more review copies.

That's just what a spy would say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

That's just what a spy would say!

And THAT's just what I was going to say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.