Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this is even possible and I know it would be a massive amount of work, but I am really interested in seeing this happen.

Basically, the idea is that you could have an availability heuristic available on a game's page that would measure the relative availability of that game based on how it is being distributed. For example, I have come across a few games that look interesting but that I will likely never get a chance to play because I found out they were only available on Kickstarter or through some small sale of X copies at a certain point in time. With a simple "Available in most gaming stores, only available via Kickstarter, currently out of print, expected to reprint soon," system, I could effectively gauge whether or not I should even keep reading about a game I'm interested in based on the likelihood of me obtaining a copy of it.

My apologies if this has been stated before, as I'm sure somebody has thought of it. I would be amazed and very grateful if this ever came to fruition, however, as it surely beats browsing through a game's forums to find out if the game is available or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
I'm not sure if this is even possible and I know it would be a massive amount of work

Probably even more work than you imagine, given that this site caters to gamers from around the world. In that context, and given the fragmented nature of game production and distribution, what exactly do "available in most gaming stores" or even "out of print" mean? And who's going to keep tabs on this for thousands of games?

Having said that, game pages do offer some clues to how widely available a game is likely to be. Find a game that has "self-published" next to publisher and it may well have limited availability. If you see The Game Crafter LLC as publisher, that's one that will be made to order. You might also see Kickstarter under "family". See the name of a game company that you don't recognise; click on it and find out where in the world they are and how many games they have published. Alternatively, run a search on boardgameprices.com and you'll quickly see a game's availability at a range of North American and European stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I hear you. call me biased, but just starting with US availability would be okay.

Still, all I really care about is knowing from a game's page whether or not I need to Kickstart it to get a copy. My dad has been really interested in getting VivaJava! since he first saw it over a year ago, but he's not versed in how board games are made and was crestfallen when I told him he couldn't get a copy because it was only available via Kickstarter. These are the kinds of situations I'd like to avoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
SparkingConduit wrote:
...it would be a massive amount of work...

I'm quoting this as a response. In terms of its game database, BGG is not intended as a catalog showing what might be on sale somewhere, but rather an encyclopedic reference of games that have been published or will be published in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. I had always considered the site as such and realize that the request is far beyond the expectations of anyone here. Hell, if anyone does have an idea of where I might go to find this information, that would be fine. Like a site dedicated to it or, as Andy suggested, just doing a search for prices on that website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Darian,

If you check the Dice Hate Me Games website you'll see that VivaJava can be pre-ordered from a store called GameSalute, with no need for any involvement in Kickstarter. From the updates on Kickstarter it does look as though the game will soon be published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
Darian,

If you check the Dice Hate Me Games website you'll see that VivaJava can be pre-ordered from a store called GameSalute, with no need for any involvement in Kickstarter. From the updates on Kickstarter it does look as though the game will soon be published.

Good to hear. I'm just not a big fan of GameSalute, but we shall see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.