Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies in advance if this is a bit too chit-chat for these hallowed halls. I have included an Obama related video at the end to restore the balance.

1. On Wednesday morning I was leaving for work when I noticed that the cat was asleep under a giant mushroom in the front yard. It was like an illustration from a book of fairy tales! As luck would have it I was carrying a white vinyl 12" of Touch Me (All Night Long) by Cathy Dennis, and a visual comparison showed that the cap of the giant mushroom extended beyond the radius of the hit single.

2. On Friday evening I was dining in an African restaurant when an Avril Lavigne-esque waif (with mascara and flanno) appeared in the restaurant window. She held up a placard that read:

PHIL
How could you?

Luckily my girlfriend was seated with her back to the window and I didn't have to explain this mysterious happening. Under the pretext of going for a piss I rose from my seat to apprehend the skater girl in question, but she saw me coming and did a runner.

3. And now the video:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I demand a picture of the Mushroom!

Do you want us to believe that you no longer dream of Bojan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under Romney none of this would happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
Phil is being accused of things! The end of the world is nigh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... How could you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
I demand a picture of the Mushroom!

It looks smaller than it is because my hand is close to the camera while I lean over the wall of the flowerbed. The international standard woodchips at the base of MegaShroom give a better idea of scale.

Venga2 wrote:
Do you want us to believe that you no longer dream of Bojan?

Last night I dreamt that someone was strangling me... in another dimension! I awoke to find that I was wearing a hoodie and the strings were stuck under the cat. As I twisted and turned the hood contracted around my throat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
So... How could you?

I dunno! I mean, I wish that I had, but I don't remember doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
quozl wrote:
So... How could you?

I dunno! I mean, I wish that I had, but I don't remember doing it.

Man, how wasted were you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mushroom update: it has become fatter and also browner, as if rotting. The cat now views it with suspicion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Last fall I learned that the Internet does not have a mushroom identifier that works worth a damn.

One day my not-quite-two year old child wandered in from the back yard and exclaims "Mushrooms!" with the mushy mouth one has when it is full of wild and half-eaten mushrooms. I asked her to take me to where she found them, and my wife dialed Poison Control.

Poison Control gave what I suspect was accurate medical advice, but it was of little comfort: there was absolutely nothing to be done. Pumping her stomach wouldn't help. If she got sick, there was nothing anyone could do. And if she'd eaten the all-white one called Avenging Angel, she was triple megafucked.

I found one of the dozens of mushroom clusters that had sprouted overnight. I fired up the compubox, and Googled "mushroom identifier." The first link seemed erudite, but seemed targeted towards those who had a few upper-level mycology classes under their belt. There is a mushroom search engine of sorts, but I was sitting there going "Is this fucking thing's lamellae adnexed or emarginate?". It was all downhill from there.

It would seem intuitive to me geographical locale would be a good starting point for the identification of fungus, but all the resources I could find started and ended with morphology. The problem with that is that most mushrooms look like dicks.

Several Google pages deep I found a .pdf a woman had written for a presentation she'd given to a garden group or some such. In that file I discovered than many common mushrooms are called "blushers." If you break their stem, it will change colors right before your eyes.

I tried on this on the mushrooms I had, and was amazed that within a second the white flesh turned a deep orange. I'd learned that blushers usually give some GI distress, and are thus not good for eating, but they are otherwise harmless.

My daughter was fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
I fired up the compubox, and Googled "mushroom identifier." The first link seemed erudite, but seemed targeted towards those who had a few upper-level mycology classes under their belt. There is a mushroom search engine of sorts, but I was sitting there going "Is this fucking thing's lamellae adnexed or emarginate?". It was all downhill from there.

Oh, I had a similar experience with the millipede that lives in box planter on my windowsill. Eventually I found a photo of it labelled Unidentified specimen collected in Bunya Mountains National Park. So it is now known as 'Bunya'. On mornings after it has rained Bunya emerges to eat dead leaves and bits of windowsill, and to kick little balls of millipede poo around with his many legs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's Bunya's homepage:

http://lifeunseen.com/index2_item_6050.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Last summer we had a few tomato hornworms in a jar, and their poo production was astonishing. Three worms would cover the floor of a Mason jar within 48 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Last summer we had a few tomato hornworms in a jar, and their poo production was astonishing. Three worms would cover the floor of a Mason jar within 48 hours.

There are easier ways to get and more productive sources for manure based fertilizers for your garden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

The long winter evenings must have just flown by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

There are easier ways to get and more productive sources for manure based fertilizers for your garden.

The collected musings of RSP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
Stuff like this makes me happy I don't take drugs.

Remind me to post a thread of my hilarious / terrifying LSD visions some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Have you been licking Australian, hallucinogenic toads again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoactive_toad

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see a picture of your cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
My hilarious and terrifying LSD visions amounted to three things: One time I was convinced I was taller than, and looking down on the tops of, some streetlights in Westwood. As it happened, I was looking up at them, realizing that I was doing so, and yet amazed that I could plainly be taller and smaller at the same time. Another time I took a leak and became convinced that urine is actually "essence-of-being fluid." Yet a final time I sat around staring at a bathtub's exterior for about an hour, noticing that the bugs crawling all over it never left their fixed, non-bug, not even really noticeable black mark, positions. Yes, LSD is your best friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colleens wrote:
I want to see a picture of your cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.