Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...that someone tell me what are the two strategies for each of the sides for scenario 1. Only played it once, solo, so far, and the Screaming Eagles got their butts kicked by charging in adjacent to the Germans and getting suppressed or worse by defensive fire.

Maybe I was just unlucky in the die-rolls (but I do use two packs of playing cards instead of dice to make sure that all the numbers have come up twice for each side by the end of 20 "rolls" per side).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
United Kingdom
St Ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought using cards would be a problem with a game like this because it wouldn't be hard to keep track of the number of tens you've rolled or numbers of low numbers which might effect your tactics. You really should just use dice. There are just enough dice rolls that any bad luck with them should average out over the course of a game and allows for some last minute tense dice rolls which always go down well in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, guess you're right. I'll replay using same tactics as before and using die instead of cards.

Do really like the game though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My method for the Americans is to put nearly all the squads on one side, either left or right, fire until the enemy if fully suppressed then move in and eliminate them. Ignore the Germans on the other half of the map as much as possible.

I would not recommend running squads up adjacent to unsuppressed enemies, it's almost suicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan is right, but when you execute that strategy, move one American Squad right down the center road as far as it is safe. This limits how the Germans are able to respond to your one sided attack. If they shift to defend the one side, you can hurt them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers guys. Will try these tactics out tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, make sure that you are using the second line German squads. It makes a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt I can add much to the advice of the game designer himself (!), but I would say don't forget that the ultimate goal of the Americans is not to kill Germans but to exit the map. So sometimes once you have fully suppressed a German squad, a better choice for a fresh American squad may be to simply moved past them toward the exit rather than destroy them in combat. It is a tough victory for the Americans though, so don't be discouraged if it takes a few tries. But that's part of the fun, and actually makes this a nice solo scenario.

I think it's also a confirmation of the game system design that even well randomized die rolls (cards) can't compensate for bad tactics (no offense intended, Colin. I'm including my own bad decisions in that statement!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No offence taken,Jeff. I am more than happy to have poor tactics/strategy punished in a game. I just get a bit ticked off when flukey die rolls (like loads of "1"s) appear to reward stupid play.

I don't want to turn this or any game into a game of chess, but like to reduce the random element where it doesn't interfere with the enjoyment of the game. Just a hang-up of mine I guess... and I usually only do it when playing solo- so when friends are round it's roll-erama as usual!

The sun looks in danger of showing itself today, so may take game into the garden if no breeze, and give scenario 1 another run today.. Oh unemployment has its advanatages.. I may be poor, but I'm happy at the moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.