Subject: rune age vs summoner wars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
e a
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
definitive differences, which is better and for what kind of a player?

also mage knight vs rune wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age is a good game and I'm glad I bought it, but it's no Summoner Wars. They're very different games - Rune Age is a straight (albeit interesting) deckbuilder, while Summoner Wars is a tactical combat game. I think the only reason I might ever recommend Rune Age over Summoner Wars is if you didn't like the direct conflict - Rune Age is less... violent... and even has a full coop scenario. But if you like beating the snot out of each other, Summoner Wars all the way.

And I have not played Rune Wars, but Mage Knight might just be my favorite game. It's very puzzle-y -- you will spend a good chunk of your turn figuring out just how in the heck you can use the cards in your hand to kill that monster, or cross the desert, or whatnot. If that sort of thing appeals to you, Mage Knight is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you are comparing are all pretty different games

Mage Knight is more comparable to Runebound than Runewars, both are a Character-driven RPG where each player just controls 1 character while doing quests, leveling up and whatever, whereas Runewars is more of an Area control game, with each player controlling a greater number of units they can build with resources from the areas you control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune age is a deck building game and Summoner wars is a straight up tactical card game.

Gameplay
In terms of gameplay, they're different already. Rune Age is scenario based while Summoner Wars is being the first person to take out the other summoner.

In Rune Age it boils down to what you have in hands. What you can do with that are either purchase cards from the centre, attack your opponent's home realm (it depends on the scenario), invade a stronghold, counter the event cards, etc.

As for Summoner Wars, it's all about clever card play, managing your magic pile, unit movements and magics/abilities (there are more to it but these are what I can think of).

Similarities

Only similarities, they are both card game and each player uses different faction deck (think of asymmetrical abilities; you need to know your deck to play well).

For what kind of player?
IMO, I'd say summoner wars is for someone who likes tactical stuff, you know, thinking ahead and thinking about how rather than what. Just a reminder that the game is HIGHLY tactical, so there are people who are turned out by that. Summoner Wars is like "Chess with Magic".

As for Rune Age, it's more like managing on what you have in hands, depending on your unit abilities and all that.

I probably didn't sum them up very well, and they're just my views. Apologize if my facts are incorrect (although I've played both).

Go with Rune age if you want to stick to just 4 factions (2 more are coming in XP) and go with Summoner Wars if you want a ton of different factions (heck, I have a friend who collects all faction and can quote every single ability from you-name-it faction).
- Damien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.