Popular Tags: [View All]
William
United States
Converse
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I game for a living...I just dont get paid for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
At one of the local half price books, i found the old 4th edition intro boxes put out by FASA back in the day. It even still has all the cardstock cut-outs of the mechs. Picked it up for $20:-D

I haven't played Battle tech since this came out the first time around, but i know there is a introductory box set out now. Getting that would get me the miniatures and an updated ruleset.

I am trying to see if it is worth investing in it or not. I have the heroscap terrain pieces so a map isnt a problem. I have a box full of the wizkid mechwarrior mechs that I could use as standins for the figs.
So my only think that I am not sure of is the Rules. How much did the rule set change? Is it primarily readability or major differences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say what changed from the FASA 4th ed, but I was able to pick the game back up with minimal problems after being a 2nd edition player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have played Btech any time since its incarnation... your a certified MEch warrior with todays rules..

The most Updated rules are in a book called TotalWarfare by Catalyst games ~40 ebay/amazon. They coincide witht he 25th anniversary box set. You can find a starter set of rules on Catalysts website for battletech. They are the license holders now and are doing a bang up job getting betech back out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
United States
Converse
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I game for a living...I just dont get paid for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK so it looks like i dont need to pick up the 25th edition intro box. That is great news. I played this back in the early 80's but never really found anyone to play it was all solo play in my room where I would make up these fantastic battles. Spending hours creating mech after mech myself. LOL

If the rules updated made the game "easier" for my son to get into then I am willing to pick up the book in print or e-format but just didnt know where to start. Any suggestions on which book to consider?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Total Warfare" book is a good pickup. Or, heck, the 25th anniversary box set is great, some cheap plastic mechs, basic rules, very nice boards. I picked up both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get the anniversary box set just for introductory rules which is an excellent summary of the mech rules in the Total Warfare book and the amazing maps. I think what you get in the introductory set is excellent value for your money, since it needs to be as its the "suck-you-into-our-universe" product.

But if you don't intend to ever use the maps and are already clued into how the game flows then I'll suggest just buying the Total Warfare and maybe pick up the 3039 Technical Readout & Record Sheets (but if you still have your old technical readouts/record sheets then you don't even need these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Intro box sets are the best way to get into the game and offer tremendous bang for the buck. Out of all the box sets, the 25th Anniversary one is the best. The only gripe I have is that they give you the two premium quality Clan Omnimechs, but that's not even enough to put together a Star (the Clan equivalent of a Lance). Rumor has it the next box set will be all Clan mechs, but we'll see. As is, the 25th Anniversary set is a great buy and worth it just for the plastic mechs and mounted map alone. I have tons of the old paper maps but look forward to CGL cranking out more maps for new players that don't have access to affordable copies of the old ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly. -- Neil Gaiman, Sandman Vol 6
badge
I dork therefore I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a fair number of rule changes over the years, but a lot of them aren't really things you need to worry about if you're only planning on playing 'Mech on 'Mech combat; a lot of the complexity comes from all the additional unit options that are available now - vehicle and infantry rules have changed a fair bit, and new units like ProtoMechs and WiGE have appeared.

The rules are a lot more expansive now than they were, in part because of all the new toys added. The introductory ruleset you get in the 25th Anniversary is to the full ruleset what the green, cardboard covered basic rules in the 3rd Ed boxset was to the BattleTech: Rules of War compendium. Except, in today's BattleTech, replace "BattleTech: Rules of War compendium" with multiple large hardback rulebooks. The rulebooks are gorgeous and very detailed, but definitely heavy. Total Warfare is the tournament-legal ruleset for Mechs and all other equipment types, the TechManual is where you now find all of the rules for constructing units, Tactical Operations is where you find the non-tournament legal rules and items sometimes thought of as "advanced rules and items" and Strategic Operations is where you find the rules orientated towards extended campaigns, the rules for playing BattleTech as a table wargame rather than hex wargame, and the new BattleForce rules.

The good news is that while each of those rule books in hardback cost about $45, you can get each for $10-15 via either the Catalyst Game Labs BattleShop online, or via Drive-Thru RPG. I love my hardback rulebooks, I really do, but I tend to refer to the electronic copies on my netbook more than I do the hardback ones these days.

You may find this thread on the official game forums handy: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7783.0.html - it's recommended reading for returning players, giving a handy guide to what's changed, both in rules and fluff terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.