Recommend
37 
 Thumb up
 Hide
70 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Lucas gets revenge on his neighbors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/george-lucas-grady-ranch/78...


George Lucas' rich neighbors don't want him building a movie studio in their backyard. His response is the best thing he's done in years.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, for four decades Lucas has owned a large swath of land in Marin County in the North San Francisco Bay and has spent the past few years trying to transform the ranch on it into a massive, nearly 300,000 square foot, state-of-the-art movie studio complete with day care center, restaurant, gym and a 200-car garage. His neighbors, however, have rejected it every step of the way. Despite the promise of bringing $300 million worth of economic activity to the area, the already-well off neighbors are worried about years' worth of construction activity and the additional foot traffic it will bring into their neighborhood once completed.

The local homeowners association has been such a thorn in Lucas' side that he's decided to abandon the studio construction entirely, issuing this official statement about Lucasfilm's withdrawal of the new studio:

The level of bitterness and anger expressed by the homeowners in Lucas Valley has convinced us that, even if we were to spend more time and acquire the necessary approvals, we would not be able to maintain a constructive relationship with our neighbors.

We love working and living in Marin, but the residents of Lucas Valley have fought this project for 25 years, and enough is enough. Marin is a bedroom community and is committed to building subdivisions, not business. Many years ago, we tried to stop the Lucas Valley Estates project from being built, but we failed, and we now have a subdivision on our doorstep.

So what is George Lucas going to do with his property now that he's tired of his rich neighbors putting up a not-in-my-backyard stink? He wants to transform the property into low-income housing, naturally, ending their official statement with this zinger, "If everyone feels that housing is less impactful on the land, then we are hoping that people who need it the most will benefit."

He's working with the Marin Community Foundation to instead construct affordable housing for either low-income families or seniors living on small, fixed incomes. In order to smooth along the development, he's already given them all of the pricey technical studies and land surveys Lucasfilm spent years conducting. And we think that's just great. Because if there's one thing rich people will hate more than having movie magic made in their backyard, it's poor people moving in.

Mr. Lucas, we may hate you for turning your back on the original trilogy, but our hat is off to you on this one. Well played.


58 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
Awesome



I'm curious why you think that's awesome? I think it's petty and mean.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
I'm curious why you think that's awesome? I think it's petty and mean.

Exactly what part of this is either petty or mean?
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

I'm curious why you think that's awesome? I think it's petty and mean.


Providing housing for those who need it is petty and mean?

Its his land, he can do what he wants to with it. He wanted to build a studio, his neighbhors decided he couldnt do what he wanted with his own land. Now he kills 3 birds with one stone, he does what he wants with his land, people get housing, and his neighbhors wont be able to say a word.

Ive never understood why people willingly move into neighborhoods with Housing Associations where a committee has to approve what you do on your own land. If you bought the land, you should be able to do what you want with it.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorhand wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
I'm curious why you think that's awesome? I think it's petty and mean.

Exactly what part of this is either petty or mean?


I have nothing against low-income or public housing.

Is he doing it to get back at his neighbors or out of the goodness of his heart?

If it is the former, then it is petty and mean, regardless of the positive outcomes of his actions.

If it is the latter, then I gladly eat my words.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Mohling
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter what Lucas does or doesn't do, I will NEVER forgive him for this abomination:

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

Is he doing it to get back at his neighbors or out of the goodness of his heart?


Personally I could care less about the intentions of his heart, if he follows through good will come of it. If hes doing it to get revenge on his neighbors so be it, families that need homes will now have homes.

This view doesnt apply to everything but in this case the only thing being hurt will be his neighbors feelings. Again its his land, not his neighbors, they really have no say in what he does with it.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Again its his land, not his neighbors, they really have no say in what he does with it.


If this were true, he would have a studio by now.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What if he's doing it for both reasons?

Personally, I think it's awesome, regardless of his reasons. I lived in the area (even worked on 'The Ranch' for a while) and can say that it's a very difficult place to find affordable housing, even with a decent job. I saw numerous low cost housing apartments torn down and replaced with high end condos throughout my time in the Bay Area, and can't think of a single low cost housing area being constructed.

If there's some venom to his actions, and I can't say I blame him, at least his 'revenge' is in a form that benefits people who aren't often being benefited. Bravo in his use of irony and giving the people exactly what they asked for.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Again its his land, not his neighbors, they really have no say in what he does with it.


If this were true, he would have a studio by now.


Im fairly certain that on the deed/title to his property it'll list George Lucas and perhaps another family member not his neighbors.

Its an odd thing to live in an area where you willingly turn over the power to do what you want with your property to a committee.

Bottom line is its his name on his property not his neighbors, its his, not theirs.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
...If you bought the land, you should be able to do what you want with it.
Lufwaffe, I agree with the spirit of your post, but not with this comment. If my next door neighbor wanted to put a glass reycling plant in, meaning round teh clock trucks driving up and dumping piles of broken glass off, etc., then I would be pretty upset. It would make my house effectively unlivable. That's why we have zoning laws; so that you can't just do what you want with your land, because what you do can directly affect your neighbors.

That being said, if Lucas has a big enough plot of land to put in a movie studio without disrupting his neighbor's life (which sounds like the case), then I agree that the neighbors who fought to stop the studio are jerks. And putting in low income housing, in an area that probably has very little, sounds like a good idea.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
And putting in low income housing, in an area that probably has very little, sounds like a good idea.


I agree in theory, but Marin is an extremely high priced area. Even if the housing is affordable for low incomes, how about food, clothing, transportation, entertainment, etc.?

It's a tough call for anyone who doesn't live there. No easy answers
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

Is he doing it to get back at his neighbors or out of the goodness of his heart?


Personally I could care less about the intentions of his heart, if he follows through good will come of it. If hes doing it to get revenge on his neighbors so be it, families that need homes will now have homes.

This view doesnt apply to everything but in this case the only thing being hurt will be his neighbors feelings. Again its his land, not his neighbors, they really have no say in what he does with it.


It is more than feelings. His neighbors' property values will decline and their quality of life might also. Not that I am defending them, but as a homeowner I can understand their concerns of trying to keep their property values from declining and maintaining their peace of mind and status quo regarding noise, increased population in the area, and all that comes along with it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
...If you bought the land, you should be able to do what you want with it.
Lufwaffe, I agree with the spirit of your post, but not with this comment. If my next door neighbor wanted to put a glass reycling plant in, meaning round teh clock trucks driving up and dumping piles of broken glass off, etc., then I would be pretty upset. It would make my house effectively unlivable. That's why we have zoning laws; so that you can't just do what you want with your land, because what you do can directly affect your neighbors.


A valid point, that to me is where the gray area creeps in. On one hand youve paid for your property, its yours, ownership implies doing what you want with it yet at the bottom line were not allowed to do so.

Correct me if Im wrong but doesnt the city handle zoning laws? Not the Neighborhood Association?

Again the issue with the NA is fixed easily, just dont move into a neighborhood where other folks can tell you how to paint/renovate/landscape your property.

EgorjLileli wrote:

It is more than feelings. His neighbors' property values will decline and their quality of life might also. Not that I am defending them, but as a homeowner I can understand their concerns of trying to keep their property values from declining and maintaining their peace of mind and status quo regarding noise, increased population in the area, and all that comes along with it.


I believe this is simply speculative, does Low Income Housing automatically guarantee all these things? Does low income automatically imply drugs, violence, noise? Isnt that a bit of a stereotype?

I understand the fear is there, we dont have a Neighborhood Association but the neighbor 2 houses down expressed his fear to me that the house between the 2 of us "Might have a Mexican family moving into it!" and that "You know how they are." I could only shake my head.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
A valid point, that to me is where the gray area creeps in. On one hand youve paid for your property, its yours, ownership implies doing what you want with it yet at the bottom line were not allowed to do so.
Not exactly. If I own some toxic wasted I can't just dump it on the ground (regardless of whether or not I own the ground). Your rights of ownership end when they affect other people.

Quote:
Correct me if Im wrong but doesnt the city handle zoning laws? Not the Neighborhood Association?
Yes, that is usually the case. My guess is that the film studio would have requires some variance from the city, which can often be routine, but if other people file suit to prevent the city from giving out the variance or whatever, then they can make it incredibly difficult. Not sure if that happened, but I'm guessing that it did.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
A valid point, that to me is where the gray area creeps in. On one hand youve paid for your property, its yours, ownership implies doing what you want with it yet at the bottom line were not allowed to do so.
Not exactly. If I own some toxic wasted I can't just dump it on the ground (regardless of whether or not I own the ground). Your rights of ownership end when they affect other people.


More valid points, I personally fail to see how a movie studio would be harmful to his neighbors but thats just me and Ive never lived next to one. laugh

Alot of our neighborhood opposed the city paving our dirt road. Citing the same as Lucas' neighbors "It'll increase foot traffic!" Funny thing is since its been paved, there hasnt been an increase in traffic.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It does sound like the typical annoying issue to me - in that Lucas owned the property before the development moved in, and now the development is dictating what he can or can't do.

This reminds me very much of what I've seen happen here - an interesting neighborhood with funky bars / shops / etc. exists. Folks develop because the neighborhood in attractive and interesting, but also because of locations / views / etc. Prices ratchet up, and new neighbors complain about the noise of the funky bars, the look of the funky art store, etc. Soon, all those places move out, and Baby Gap moves in. Yeech.

But yes, on the one hand, I can see the homeowners side - you move into a place near a "ranch", you may not expect it do turn into a movie studio. On the other hand, you move into a place knowing a super rich person owns a huge chunk of land next door, you should expect he might build a studio/petting zoo/children's carnival/art park/whatever.

And yeah, it's petty and vindictive, but it's a kind of petty and vindictive I can fully get behind. devil
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
riddlen wrote:
Awesome



I'm curious why you think that's awesome? I think it's petty and mean.
I took it as a double positive. He is providing a great housing opportuntiy for fixed income families in a nice neighborhood WHILE sticking it to a bunch of richy dooshbags who will freak out having to live next us regular folk.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
wmshub wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
...If you bought the land, you should be able to do what you want with it.
Lufwaffe, I agree with the spirit of your post, but not with this comment. If my next door neighbor wanted to put a glass reycling plant in, meaning round teh clock trucks driving up and dumping piles of broken glass off, etc., then I would be pretty upset. It would make my house effectively unlivable. That's why we have zoning laws; so that you can't just do what you want with your land, because what you do can directly affect your neighbors.


A valid point, that to me is where the gray area creeps in. On one hand youve paid for your property, its yours, ownership implies doing what you want with it yet at the bottom line were not allowed to do so.

Correct me if Im wrong but doesnt the city handle zoning laws? Not the Neighborhood Association?

Again the issue with the NA is fixed easily, just dont move into a neighborhood where other folks can tell you how to paint/renovate/landscape your property.

EgorjLileli wrote:

It is more than feelings. His neighbors' property values will decline and their quality of life might also. Not that I am defending them, but as a homeowner I can understand their concerns of trying to keep their property values from declining and maintaining their peace of mind and status quo regarding noise, increased population in the area, and all that comes along with it.


I believe this is simply speculative, does Low Income Housing automatically guarantee all these things? Does low income automatically imply drugs, violence, noise? Isnt that a bit of a stereotype?

I understand the fear is there, we dont have a Neighborhood Association but the neighbor 2 houses down expressed his fear to me that the house between the 2 of us "Might have a Mexican family moving into it!" and that "You know how they are." I could only shake my head.


I am not stereotyping as in your example. Regardless of the low-income population, increased numbers of people living in any area will increase the noise and traffic at the least, and possibly attract crime and violence. I never said it automatically guaranteed it, but it is a possibility and something that the homeowners might be concerned about and how it affects their peace of mind/status quo.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

I am not stereotyping as in your example. Regardless of the low-income population, increased numbers of people living in any area will increase the noise and traffic at the least, and possibly attract crime and violence. I never said it automatically guaranteed it, but it is a possibility and something that the homeowners might be concerned about and how it affects their peace of mind/status quo.


I apologize Im misunderstanding you then. You said (my emphasis):
EgorjLileli wrote:

It is more than feelings. His neighbors' property values will decline and their quality of life might also.


I took that to mean it was a guaranteed fact based on the "quality of people" that come with fixed income housing?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:


I took that to mean it was a guaranteed fact based on the "quality of people" that come with fixed income housing?


I do believe that property values would decline, but I also believe that has nothing to do with the quality of the people who would inhabit that housing. Low income housing does not equate to lower quality of people.

But when compared to a $300-500K home, a $100-150K home in the neighborhood would make a difference in the values of those upper priced homes.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
wmshub wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
A valid point, that to me is where the gray area creeps in. On one hand youve paid for your property, its yours, ownership implies doing what you want with it yet at the bottom line were not allowed to do so.
Not exactly. If I own some toxic wasted I can't just dump it on the ground (regardless of whether or not I own the ground). Your rights of ownership end when they affect other people.


More valid points, I personally fail to see how a movie studio would be harmful to his neighbors but thats just me and Ive never lived next to one. laugh

Alot of our neighborhood opposed the city paving our dirt road. Citing the same as Lucas' neighbors "It'll increase foot traffic!" Funny thing is since its been paved, there hasnt been an increase in traffic.


One of the nice things about a Neighborhood Association or Homeowners Association is that they - in situations like this - negotiate as a block with the city MUCH more effectively.

The fact is that no man is an island. You can say "it's your land to do with as you wish" all you want, and it makes it no more true. As you've already noted in the thread, there are many examples of things that would be problematic as it DIRECTLY impacts your neighbors. Putting up a recycling plant, dumping toxic waste, etc. Heck, even just being "very untidy" (and, thus, a breeding ground for pests - roaches, rats, etc - that traditionally have very little respect for human-defined property lines) will have direct impact.

And then there is the indirect impact. Someone moving in that will set up trucks on blocks in their yard, piles of old equipment laying around, and ruin a picturesque nature view...our realtor recently pointed out the view we have added $50,000 to the value of the property, and that's VERY easy to destroy. Would you say someone doing something that cost a neighbor $50,000 would be putting them in the wrong?

You could keep going with the examples endlessly.

Anyway, there are plenty of good reasons to specifically WANT to be in a NA/HOA:
- You get additional influence with the city as far as what gets (or doesn't get) developed in your area
- Since your neighbors very much DO have a big impact on your quality of life, and you on theirs, it helps to have a formal structure that helps define that relationship
- To a great degree, it provides a better "you know what you are getting" feeling for the place you are moving into. Much less concern of it being nice when you bought it, but then risking a neighbor moving out and someone new putting up offensive signs, painting their house a ridiculous color, etc.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

- To a great degree, it provides a better "you know what you are getting" feeling for the place you are moving into. Much less concern of it being nice when you bought it, but then risking a neighbor moving out and someone new putting up offensive signs, painting their house a ridiculous color, etc.


Obviously to each their own but I frankly could care less what people paint their houses. If someone wants to paint their house purple with green polka dots so be it. This doesnt physically harm or physically effect anyone around them. What you term a ridiculous color maybe loved by another.

For me? HA's are not the way to go and thankfully I have a right to not live in a neighborhood that doesnt have one.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
I have a right to not live in a neighborhood that doesnt have one.


You may be confusing "rights" with "choices." I "choose" to live in a neighborhood with an HOA, it's not my "right."

Most neighborhoods in Northern Delaware have HOAs - I had never lived in one before. We do have certain rules regarding such things as paint colors, RVs, etc., all addressing neighbors concerns. I don't agree with all of the rules, but it is my "choice" to live here.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.