United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fraud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Impressive: the cartoonist knows the difference between fissionable and fissile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
meat-seeking fissile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They said don't cross the streams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nobody calls me a {fissile} and gets away with it! Except for that one guy who called me a {fissile} and then ran away, he got away with it. But most of the people who call me a {fissile} don't get away with it! Actually he was the only guy to ever call me a {fissile}, but after today only half the people who have ever called me a {fissile} will have gotten away with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robigo wrote:
Impressive: the cartoonist knows the difference between fissionable and fissile.

Yet not that you are issued a "Driver License" and not a "Driver's License".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
robigo wrote:

Mine is a "Driver's License."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Homeland security will have to enforce a ban on gay marriage or male terrorists will marry each other, touch their penis's together and cause havoc across the country. The survival of the our way of life is at stake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
robigo wrote:

Mine, too. I just double-checked.

Nitpick FAIL!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Golux13 wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
robigo wrote:

Mine is a Driver License's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
robigo wrote:

Mine, too. I just double-checked.

Nitpick FAIL!!!!

Most states are not. Apparently Illinois and Massachusetts haven't gotten with the program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Most states are not. Apparently Illinois and Massachusetts haven't gotten with the program.

Add Maryland - Class CM Driver's License
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the cartoon. I won't go so far as to call this great comedy, but one mark of great comedy is that it strikes at the heart of something fundamental in the real world.

There is a huge debate in America* over whether same-sex couples should be allowed to marry. The question that never seems to get answered is, "Why not? What's the harm?" We've recently heard allegations that fewer heterosexual people will marry if marriage is cheapened by extending it to gay couples. There have been objections that parents will have to explain to their kids what homosexuality is and that schools will de facto endorse it in their discussions of families. But most of what we hear is really vague. Don't mess with thousands of years of tradition. We must defend the family. Alaren did a decent job of making the case that my layman's conception of "state interest" may not match the legal one but that's purely an argument that states can discriminate, not that they should.

Has anyone heard (or would anyone care to make) an argument that allowing same-sex marriage will or is likely to do real harm?

* And other parts of the world, although in some the debate is over and in others not yet begun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Has anyone heard (or would anyone care to make) an argument that allowing same-sex marriage will or is likely to do real harm?

The problem is the definition of "real harm". If one believes that unrepentant sinners are going to go to hell and one earnestly wants to create a world where everyone has the best chance of going to paradise as possible, then opposing gay marriage is akin to being the catcher in the rye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

Pennsylvania too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
traininthedistance wrote:
rshipley wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

Pennsylvania too.

You beat me to it for PA. "Driver's License" in caps right on the front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

The problem is the definition of "real harm". If one believes that unrepentant sinners are going to go to hell and one earnestly wants to create a world where everyone has the best chance of going to paradise as possible, then opposing gay marriage is akin to being the catcher in the rye.

Sure, and that may be a significant motive but it's rarely what gets talked about when it comes to actual policy debates. Instead we hear about the vague need to protect marriage and the family, the interests of children, etc. IIRC this is why the Supreme Court of Iowa threw out their state's prohibition.

Basically it seems like the anti-gay-marriage side is still big enough to win most votes but isn't merely losing the debate; they don't seem interested in really trying to win it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

There is a basic form that these arguments share:

- " 'I don't have a problem with gay people, but...' [insert Bible-derived objection without mentioning the Bible]"

That said, the people espousing those beliefs certainly don't think they are being bigoted asshats, and in fact wonder why hell-bound liberals like yourself can't understand their fairly straightforward complaints about the threats to the sanctity of marriage and the moral dangers of homosexuality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Sure, and that may be a significant motive but it's rarely what gets talked about when it comes to actual policy debates. Instead we hear about the vague need to protect marriage and the family, the interests of children, etc. IIRC this is why the Supreme Court of Iowa threw out their state's prohibition.

Basically it seems like the anti-gay-marriage side is still big enough to win most votes but isn't merely losing the debate; they don't seem interested in really trying to win it.

Well, politicizing this element of Christianity is problematic. If any politician said that, they'd freak out a huge swath of voters -- not just the people that aren't that evangelical, but also how can you argue against a nanny state while taking that stance?

It isn't like I really think that the majority of people against gay marriage believe they are saving anyone. Rather, I think that most people just think any sexual act that they don't get off on is ooky. And if you are the kind of person that is insecure about yourself, and needs validation through abasement of others, then gays are an easy way to kick the dog. Humans always look to find groups of people that they can consider below themselves. This seems like one of those things where a large number of people all feel betrayed because the unspoken social contract of sub-humanizing gays is now no longer acceptable, and the folks at the bottom of the hierarchy are scared. First blacks, and now gays are acceptable. Now their own dominance over women is challenged by reexamining the nature of marriage. What next Mexicans?

The "real harm" is that the people at the bottom of the barrel are discovering that they really are at the bottom of the barrel, and they are panicking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
rshipley wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

Pennsylvania too.

Colorado has Driver License (at least they did in 2002 when I got my last one - very possible it changed)

But honestly, nitpick is irrelevent.

Oh, and nothing like portraying the asbolute extreme of other other examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
This pisses me off!

Mine says Driver's License!!! They can put a damn apostrophe in Driver's but their computer cannot put an apostrophe in MY LAST NAME in order to spell that correctly.

Whoever wrote that little program has a fizzled penis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Back in the halcyon days when Paul Martin had his cup of coffee as Canada's Prime Minister, we here in the Great White North went through the same "civilization shattering" process of debating the merits of same-sex marriage. Mr Martin, in my opinion, may have been one of the most disingenuous politicians of recent history, but I do commend him for going through with the Civil Marriage Act. Of course, all the court decisions leading up to that may have had a hand in his decision, so I don't know how brave a stance it was that he took.

Anyway, through all this, I met exactly ONE person face-to-face who opposed the pending legislation, and his objection was strictly on religious grounds. Now maybe it's because my circle of friends are strictly dyed in the wool hippy lettuce smoking tree hugging Marx and Stalin reading leftists of the worst kind. And maybe we are but only from the perspective of the current landscape in the US.

But this one fellow was a fairly nice guy. Somewhat abrasive, but in a mostly tolerable way. He used to be a regular in "the usual bunch of guys" gaming sessions. My biggest complaint about him had absolutely nothing to do with religion, but rather his attitude when playing games. If the game wasn't one he particularly liked, he would "half-ass" through it. Which is really, really annoying. One of the unwritten rules for any game should be "all players are trying to win". He wouldn't. He would make moves "just to see what would happen". It's like playing with a kingmaker that can't even be kingmaker properly. Incredibly annoying. This necessitated an unofficial rule in the group -- "Enthusiasm is mandatory".

He's no longer with the group.

But anyway, when he was with the group the same-sex marriage debate was all the rage up here. Support was universal around the table, except for him. When asked why, he responded that, as a Christian, he could not support it.

So I asked him some (to me) obvious questions:

"Your religion won't support gay marriage, so you want to forbid all gays from getting married, even if they're not Christian. Some religions prohibit the eating of pork or beef. Would you support a law forbidding pork and beef for those who are not members of those religions?"

He thought that was a silly analogy. I don't see why. If you do, please inform me.

The follow-up, exactly what you asked: "How does allowing two people who love each other to marry affect YOU in any way whatsoever?"

This was a more interesting question, particularly since I am married and he is not. Or he was not at the time, I have no idea of his status now. It was also interesting because my wedding was a completely civil affair, so my union was not sanctified by a deity. Certainly not his deity. But he could not come to declare my marriage invalid, not in the same why he would invalidate a same-sex union.

Again, the answer he provided was unsatisfactory. He used the "affront to God, so should not be allowed" argument, but couldn't provide a real reason why a purely civil marriage should not be recognized by the state for what it is -- the union of two people who want to forge a life-long commitment.

I think you'll find that most opponents are very similar to this former member of my gaming group. They don't like what they don't like, and don't like it because they don't like it. It's an entirely emotional response, one that is taken without the consideration of logic. And it's such a visceral response that any attempts at logic will not make the slightest impression on them.

We're going on 9 years since same-sex marriages were recognized in Ontario, and nearly 7 years since they've been recognized in the entire country. And you know what? I still go to work, pay my taxes and enjoy doing what I enjoy doing, none of it affected by whatever married couple lives down the street.

And Biff and Tony have yet to break down my door to drag me away from my wife and kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weezknight wrote:
rshipley wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

Pennsylvania too.

Mine says -VOID-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meat wrote:

And Biff and Tony have yet to break down my door to drag me away from my wife and kids.

It's their ploy to let your guard down before they activate their fissile penises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.