Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On January 29, Gola said,
Gola wrote:
. . . it occurred to me that it might be fun & interesting as a project for 2012 to watch all the movies I've listed as favorites to see how they hold up for me.

And I agreed.

For the first time in this Challenge, jojopi agreed to watch one of the movies with me - although with the provision that she would be grading papers while we watched.

About 10 minutes into this modern take on the classic Romantic Comedy genre she had put her red pen down and fallen through the screen.

This is a movie I have seen far less often than most of the movies on my Challenge List, maybe only three times before last night, and jojopi was seeing it for only the second time. But this is a movie clearly targeted at me - a Romantic Comedy (of sorts) full of fantasy sequences and musical interludes, non-traditional storytelling and an unexpected happy ending. And a Voice Over.

I know, I know. "Voice Over = bad". But I love it so, here as much as in The Haunting. I swear my affection for Voice Over is probably the entire reason Adaptation makes my Top 14 list.

In the case of . . . Summer, how else are you going to know, right off the bat that as Mr. Voice Over tells us, "This is not a love story"?

You know for sure you are the target audience when you hear the opening bars to "She's Like The Wind" and are already cracking up laughing . . .

I think everyone is at least a little bit in love with Zooey Deschanel. It is hard to take your eyes off of her when she is on screen. Love at first sight doesn't seem so unlikely when it is Zooey who is being seen for the first time.

And Joseph Gordon-Levitt is supremely likeable and (perhaps more importantly) believable as yet one more take on today's Everyman - idealistic yet stunted, shy yet confident. A little like Hugh Grant without the English accent . . .

I don't want to spoil anything for people who have not (yet) seen the movie, but the musical production number that breaks out spontaneously about 30 minutes in makes me about as happy as any scene from any movie, ever. Context is everything - we've seen this scene a hundred times before - but here it is an example of movie making at it's most perfect finest. So sweet, so unexpected, so well done.

Makes me freaking happy.

The other fantasy sequences (the black and white film school piece, the documentary, the expectation versus reality segment) don't reach the heights of the musical number - that's kind of the entire point of the movie - and that they work at all is thanks to the ice being broken by that earlier nod to the audience.

I'm a sucker for romance. When Harry Met Sally is my uncontested favorite movie. And I think it is not too much of a stretch to say the . . . Summer does not get made if there was no WHMS - the two movies use the same language - but ... Summer does so with a real brevity thanks to the earlier movie.

When Summer says:

Quote:
- I kept thinking, "Tom was right."

all I can hear in my head is this conversation between Harry and Sally:

Quote:
- You're getting married? You're getting married? Harry that's so . . . that's so . . Why, Harry that's so optimistic of you.

- Yeah well, it's amazing what falling madly in love will do for you.

There's a reason that . . . Summer is only an hour and a half long. The situations are so real and recognizable, the ground covered so well trod in previous movies that the whole thing is told in a sort of shorthand. This allows for the viewer to piece together the story a little at a time, following the non-linear nature of the timeline, letting the director pace the reveals just so.

WHMS and . . . Summer are both movies about love, but ironically despite all the fantasy sequences here, it is . . . Summer that is truer to life. WHMS is the fantasy. The ending of . . . Summer pains me physically, but in that almost good, unrequited teenaged way. It is all so familiar, so unfair and true.

. . . Summer reiterates my take on love: that love is not love if it is not reciprocated; that unrequited love is not love at all but something different, something less.

I told you - I'm a sucker for Romance. I'll get down off my soapbox now.

Two final thoughts on the movie I have probably enjoyed most of the first 4 I have rewatched:

1) I simply adore the character of Tom's sister. She's like a 12-year-old blonde Yoda.

and 2) How had I forgotten that last line? Complete with Tom's only time breaking the 4th wall . . .

Gola Movie Challenge:

Heathers
The Haunting
The Pink Panther Strikes Again
(500) Days Of Summer
When Harry Met Sally . . .
Leaving Las Vegas
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Metropolitan
Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Prestige
Play It Again Sam
Adaptation
Bull Durham
A Night At The Opera
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this movie. I love JGL's cover of the Pixies at karaoke.

Also love:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When he looks in the car window and Han Solo is looking back at him.

Hilarious. Good movie, definately see it. And it is not a love story. You got that right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
I don't want to spoil anything for people who have not (yet) seen the movie, but the musical production number that breaks out spontaneously about 30 minutes in makes me about as happy as any scene from any movie, ever. Context is everything - we've seen this scene a hundred times before - but here it is an example of movie making at it's most perfect finest. So sweet, so unexpected, so well done.

My example of this is "ABC" from Clerks 2. It's just so much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.