Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Godstar
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a friend and I took on the daunting task of learning this game and we got stuck at the combat system. We got through the setup and movement portions, but combat seemed to be very vague and unclear.

So my character entered into a valley where supposedly 2 ghosts reside. From what I read, this is what happens.

1.) I am immediately blocked and attacked by both ghosts.
2.) I put both ghost chits on the encounter squares at the top of the character sheet.

---------
3.) Here is where I get confused. There was something about picking an action using the move and fight chits. I'm assuming if my goal is to fight and escape that I don't need to worry about move so let's just focus on attack.

Q1.) How many chits do I select, and I'm assuming it's random? Or is it from what's available?
Q2.) Do I put these chits somewhere on the paper, or do they stay off to the side?
Q3.) Does my weapon then go into the attack slots off to the let of the page? Do I only get to pick one slot, for the entire round of combat, or can I change it per attack?
Q4.) If I hit, how do I resolve combat? From what I read it's based on the speed of the character vs. speed of the monster. They were at 2, and I was using a Captain who I think had a 4. I'm assuming I would win combat in this case without factoring in the weapon. I was using a short sword, but it didn't really say anything as to what kid of bonus it provides. Just a star and an asterisk were on the chit. How do you factor in weapons during combat?

Sorry for all the questions, but I couldn't really find anything online that detailed how a combat system plays out once you encounter a monster, and most of them weren't applicable to the system we were using (the non-player made system).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
one easy way to figure it out is to download realmspeak ( link on magic realm page ) ... In that application is a battle set up ... you can set up any monster / character battle you need and let the computer roll the dice and set up everything as it happens and you'll learn the battle this way ... you basically pick a chit and combine it with a weapon (the fight chits ) .. then you pick a move chit and place it where you choose to move .. armor is placed on their slots (hide behind the shield) then the monsters spread out onto spots picked by you .. one per spot ... then roll for tactics ... there's an asterisk limit as well .. asterisks strengthen your attack but cause fatigue... use one asterisk and your fine .. use two and you fatigue.. if you fatigue I believe you can't flee .. hope I got all that right and good luck ..send me a treasure from the hoard if you find it ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
Here's a detailed combat summary.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/27644/detailed-combat-...

Or, if you prefer, here's combat explained in flow chart form.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/33149/magic-realm-comb...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godstar
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all, those should work very well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just just wanted to say best luck. A friend and I taught ourselves this recently too. I recommend the bookshelfgames videos, once we had an good idea about how a single combat worked and the ins and it's of that we use realm speaks Combat simulator to fully understand battles with
Multiple denizens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arran Boardman
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend the bookshelfgames videos to anyone trying to get a handle on Magic Realm. It's just a pity they didn't complete episodes 7 and 8 which dealt with hired natives and magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.