Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Compatibility with old (or original) version of Netrunner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news if we will be able to mix the original cards from Netrunner with the new FFG version? Card backs are not a problem when using sleeves with colored backs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, but I highly doubt that FFG has any interest to make this happen.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jcikal wrote:
Any news if we will be able to mix the original cards from Netrunner with the new FFG version? Card backs are not a problem when using sleeves with colored backs.


You can try, but several additional thematic changes (names, faction associations, and the values associated with such) might make this difficult. Plus it's official that they've applied some tweaks to card statistics (you can even see this in some of the sample cards) so that costs may differ for the same effects.

It's going to be more trouble than it might be worth, so ask yourself why you're wanting to mix the games together. If it's to avoid buying the new version yet still wanting to play it, then I'd say just bite the bullet, buy the game, and embrace the changes, because there's 20 years of game design and mechanics that the new version will be able to take advantage of.

Plus, it looks purtier.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it too.

The game might be "compatible", but not "card-compatible". Which means, you may recognize the game system and card interactions, but not be able to include a Netrunner card into the FFG's game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rumor is no. Some mechanics will change. This is also an LCG not a CCG, which I think will work better for NR. I've been a big fan of Summoner Wars for a long time, and I think an LCG stlye of play where there are set factions/corporations/hackers/etc will work really well with NR. I'm not a big fan of the new artstyle of the cards, and I think other companies would doing better with the NR franchise; however, I know FFG will make a ton of expansions and do the best they can; even if I disagree with it at times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We won't know 'til we see the rules and can see the relative card power.

Netrunner (CCG) was based off of rarity concepts, so a rarer card could 'do more' because theoretically there were fewer out in the world to be played.

Android:Netrunner (LCG) needs to balance out the card power a bit more, so we're sure to see some changes. We've already seen the ability to advance ICE as a new concept and some cards may be balanced 'up' (such as removing the 'action' requirement on an ADVERTISEMENT or tweaking rez costs).

Once we have a large enough sample set of cards and can compare them to existing cards, then it shouldn't be a difficult matter to indicate which cards can be used 'straight', which ones might pose problems and which ones just cannot be brought forward into the reboot.

-=-=-

Note: Nothing is stopping you from playing Netrunner (CCG) still.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Note: Nothing is stopping you from playing Netrunner (CCG) still.


Well said; enjoy your copy and revel in the fact that you're lucky enough to own a copy an excellent game that's incredibly difficult to find.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Avatar
bhz1 wrote:
It's going to be more trouble than it might be worth, so ask yourself why you're wanting to mix the games together.

I'm kind of expecting to want to do this to fill in staple cards that are needed in multiple decks. I recall from my old netrunner decks at least that I was usually wanting to include the same card draw or bit gainers, while the agendas, ice, and icebreakers varied quite a bit. I could see the cards from one set being sufficient to make several decks except for the draw/search/bit-gain, and it would be nice to fill that in from the old Netrunner cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I managed to get 150 netrunner cards from ebay years ago for $40, sadly they were destroyed in a storage building flood...

I would have loved to play a classic deck against a new deck too see if they are competitive against each other, or if one set is more powerful because of the game-play changes (if any).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Baerenkeks wrote:
I don't know, but I highly doubt that FFG has any interest to make this happen.


I know if I was in their position compatibility wouldn't even be considered as a goal. I know there are older copies of the game out there, but I would be focused on doing whatever it took to make MY game as strong as possible. Compatibility with a long out of print game no doubt eliminates choices that would make for a better game today.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
Baerenkeks wrote:
I don't know, but I highly doubt that FFG has any interest to make this happen.


I know if I was in their position compatibility wouldn't even be considered as a goal. I know there are older copies of the game out there, but I would be focused on doing whatever it took to make MY game as strong as possible. Compatibility with a long out of print game no doubt eliminates choices that would make for a better game today.


1000 times this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. There is very little chance OR reason to be compatible with the old version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.