Subject: Mage Knight Puzzle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Pix
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the last night. The dummy player already announced the end of round.

Norowas is sitting in a monastery, knowing that it is all or nothing...

Enemies in the green city (all with poisoned attacks): Freezers, Crypt Worm and Minotaur.

Spell Offer: Burning Shield, Restoration, Call to Arms.

Unit Offer: Utem Swordsmen.

Units owned: Amotep Freezers, Illusionists (spent), Amotep Gunners (spent), Catapults (spent).

Skills available: bright negotiation.

Hand: Path Finding, Concentration, Stamina, Magic Talent, Mana Bolt, Whirlwind, Golden Grail.

Crystals: 3 green, 1 white, 1 red.

Will Norowas manage to conquer the green city?

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Freezers do ice damage so don't get the bonus poison from the city?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:

That's right. Swift Paralyzing Ice Attack is bad enough, it doesn't also need to be Poisonous...

I don't have my set with me so I'm not entirely sure this works, but the general approach to my solution is:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Move onto city with Green-Path finding and Stamina
Skip range
Don't plan to block, assign damage to spent units and leftovers to yourself. One unit dies from freezers, others get poisoned, you take some wounds. boohoo.
Need 18 attack, Concentration to get some Blue mana: + Blue+Blue-Mana Bolt is 8. Magic Talent (discarding whirlwind?) + White-Call to Arms to call the Swordsmen, you can do 6 attack. Freezers do 3(?) attack.
Then you play the Grail sideways for 1 attack. If the freezers do more attack, you can heal with the Grail

OOps, edited because i thought mana-bolt was pure magic.

I would be interested to see the solution that minimizes the number of points you lose due to wounding yourself or your units. I'll probably look for it at home tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor K
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing this from memory since I don't have the game in front of me, will probably edit later on.

Movement: To get to the city, use Green crystal + Pathfinding since terrain cost is reduced to 2.

Siege Phase:
Use Mana Bolt with Blue mana die + green crystal for Ice Siege 5 [Need to double check]. Kill Minotaurs.
Block:
No Block.
Take damage: Freezers do ice damage, but I believe your Gunners have ice resistance and can absorb the damage without being hurt. Crypt worm hits for 6. Catapults absorb the first 4 and are wounded twice. Illusionists can soak the remaining 2 without damage.
Attack
Magic Talent (discard Whirlwind) - Play Call to Arms with white crystal. Hire the Masochistic Swordsmen for 6 attack, killing the crypt worm.
Use Freezers to attack for 5 [I think]. Use Stamina sideways + Concentration sideways for + 2 to kill the Freezers.

I want to be able to play the grail at the end, but the only wounded unit is the catapults which need 3 points of healing, and the grail provides 2 with the basic. I don't think you can use the grail just for fun... Could throw away the grail to get 4 points of healing and +fame, but you can't fully heal the catapults, and you'd lose 2 points for not having the artifact at the end of the game. Would need cards to do the math.

Edit: OK, found a fun idea. When attacking, also choose to challenge the lowly orcs outside the city. They come in, attack you to give you a wound in hand. This allows you to use the Holy Grail after combat to heal and give you extra fame but doesn't affect you taking the city (I don't think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of the old puzzles in AH General Magazine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Grady
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Skills available: bright negotiation

I assume this means that there are no passive or per-turn skills, and the only unused per-round skill is Bright Negotiation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Pix
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven807 wrote:
Quote:
Skills available: bright negotiation

I assume this means that there are no passive or per-turn skills, and the only unused per-round skill is Bright Negotiation?

Yes. It's there because I recreated the last move of a solo game of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Grady
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my solution, pretty different from the others:

Movement: Green Crystal + Pathfinding, Stamina to get to City.
Siege phase: Catapult: kill the minotaur; use white crystal for Whirlwind on Freezers.
Block phase: Just need to block the Crypt Worm. Amotep Gunners + Grail for block 6.
Attack phase: Mana-bolt, Blue die + red crystal to kill the freezers. Amotep Freezers + Magic Talent to kill the Crypt Worm.

Two crystals are left over, and no wounds.

I'm kind of new to the game, so I feel like I missed something. But this seemed pretty easy..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several things wrong with your solution, Steven. You don't need to use Stamina to move into the city because Pathfinding with the green mana reduces the cost of the forest to 2. Also, the puzzle specifies that the catapults and the gunners start out spent. They are useful for absorbing wounds, but they can't attack or block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need one card to move into the city (Pathfinding, with a green crystal).

One way to get exactly enough attack is:

Concentration (blue token) + Amotep Freezers = stop one attacker and Armor -3.
Mana Bolt + blue die + red crystal = Cold Fire Attack 7.
Magic Talent (discarding Stamina) + white crystal (Call to Arms, Utem Swordsmen) = Attack 6.
Whirlwind, Golden Grail sideways = Attack 2.

You can stop the Freezer attack, then take 16 poison damage on units (double wounds on Amotep Gunners, Amotep Freezers, Illusionists), leaving an army worth 6 points. Or you can stop the Minotaur attack, eliminate the Catapults, double wound on Amotep Gunners, also leaving an army worth 6 points.

So in this variation you score 7 points for crystals and units.

A different way to get enough attack is to use the Amotep Freezers for their attack power, and block with the Burning Shield:

Magic Talent (discarding Stamina) + red crystal (Burning Shield) = Fire Block 4 and Fire Attack 4.
Golden Grail sideways = Block 1 (Werewolves blocked).
Destroy Catapults, take double wound on Amotep Gunners.
Amotep Freezers = Attack 5.
Mana Bolt + blue die + Concentration (blue token) = Ice Attack 8.
Whirlwind sideways = Attack 1.

This leaves you with one more crystal, but the score is the same.

The third option is to use Amotep Freezers and Utem Swordsmen, and use the siege attack:

Mana Bolt + blue die + green crystal = Siege Ice Attack 5 (kill Minotaur).
Orcs wound Illusionists.
Magic Talent (discarding Stamina) + white crystal (Call to Arms, Utem Swordsmen) = Attack 6.
Whirlwind, Concentration sideways = Attack 2.
Golden Grail to heal Illusionists, +2 Fame.

This leaves you with the same 6 VP army, and 1 VP for crystals, but +2 Fame from the Golden Grail.

The fourth option is to use Amotep Freezers and Utem Swordsmen, and cast Whirlwind:

Whirlwind + Concentration (white token) = stop one attack.
Orcs wound Illusionists.
Mana Bolt + blue die + red crystal = Cold Fire Attack 7.
Golden Grail to heal Illusionsts, +2 Fame.

This comes out exactly the same as the siege attack plan.

There's a fifth option where you don't stop any attacks, and you take some wounds in hand and discard pile. This works too, but scores worse than any of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taerinshar wrote:
Freezers do ice damage, but I believe your Gunners have ice resistance and can absorb the damage without being hurt.

Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Grady
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! So it turns out that the real problem was that I am careless. I took the description and set up actual components, to think about it a little more clearly (and so I could read the actual cards). But I didn't double-check my work. so I managed to get things wrong. I got the board placement wrong (leaving Norovas 3 hexes away), and somehow got the spent units wrong. Thanks for taking the time to tell me my mistakes, and sorry for wasting your time... I think I'll try again with the correct set-up.

tl;dr: I'm an idiot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Pix
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

Thanks for your nice solutions. I like n. 4 and n. 5 because of the idea of provoking the orcs to be able to use the golden grail and get 2 more fame. The one I found while playing is slightly different, and inferior as well for the final score:

Path finding with a green crystal to go and attack the city.
Whirlwind with the white crystal to prevent the freezers from attacking
Mana Bolt with the blue mana from the source and a red crystal to cold fire attack 7 and kill the freezers.
Minotaur: Assign 10 damage (brutal + poison) by giving 2 wounds each to the catapults and the gunners. Kill him with the amotep freezers.
Crypt Worm: Assign 4 damage to the illusionists (2 wounds) and 2 wounds to Norowas (1 in hand and 1 in the discard pile). Play Magic Talent discarding stamina to play Call to Arms from the spell offer. The necessary white mana is obtained by playing Concentration. The Utem Swordsmen deliver the killing blow. Notice that we don’t “assign damage” to this unit, as this is forbidden by the spell text. The unit text reads: “The unit becomes wounded”, so it is not a damage assignment.
Finally, heal 1 wound in hand using golden grail.

Units value left: 6
Crystals value left: 1
Wounds value taken in deck: -2
Fame achieved: 17 (including grail)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor had the idea to challenge the Orcs. I don't think I would have thought of that. Even without the Orcs, my Whirlwind strategy is 1 VP better than yours, if you stop the Minotaur from attacking instead of the Freezers then you take the same amount of VP loss to the army, don't get 1 VP from the grail, but you gain 2 VP for not having wound in discard pile. But it seems to me you got very close to the best available solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Pix
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DsnowMan wrote:
Fwing wrote:

That's right. Swift Paralyzing Ice Attack is bad enough, it doesn't also need to be Poisonous...

That does not seem right to me. If you don't block and get wounds in hand because of a paralyzing attack, you also get them in your discard pile because of the poison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Pix
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Trevor had the idea to challenge the Orcs.

That's right, I missed that. Kudos to Trevor then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calpurnio wrote:
That does not seem right to me. If you don't block and get wounds in hand because of a paralyzing attack, you also get them in your discard pile because of the poison.

Yes, you would if the enemy had the poison ability, but the Freezers don't. Only units with physical attack gain the poison ability when in the green city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Pix
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Calpurnio wrote:

Yes, you would if the enemy had the poison ability, but the Freezers don't. Only units with physical attack gain the poison ability when in the green city.

Ouch! I now realize I have played a different, tougher game up to now shake. I completely missed this rule, and the similar rule for the red city (regarding brutal). Moreover, I cannot blame anyone but myself: it is written in the rules and there is the fist icon in the red and green city cards!

Well, thanks for pointing that out David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
msg tools
I'll try my solution, then

I'm sorry don't know how to do spoiler tags but the post will be situated low, so I think its not a problem.

1. Pathifinding + Green Crystal to get to the City.
2. Concentration to get White Mana Token.
3. Attack.
4. Whirlwind + White Crystal = Freezers not attacking (no Paralyze)
5. Rest of damage goes through (Minotaurs for 10 and Crypt Worm for 6) = 5 Wound Cards for Hero (below limit 7) +5 to Discard Pile (OUCH!)

Now it's time for us to deal damage. Target all enemies at once.

6. Magical Talent + Stamina = Cast Call to arms with White Mana Token = Utep Swordsmen Attack 6
7. Mana Bolt with Blue Dice and Red Crystal for ColdFire7
8. Amotep Freezers Attack 5
Total Attack 18, all Defeated

Heal with Grail for 6

How's that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konzik wrote:
How's that?

Perfectly legal, but -10 VP for the 5 wounds in your discard pile, and -2 VP for blowing up your artifact, is not ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
msg tools
That's what I wanted to know, since I've played this game only 3 times.

I'm happy that I seem to understand the rules.

On a side note - how impossible is Solo Conquest? On my last try I managed to get to the first city and defeat 2 out of 3 defenders. It's impossible to go further!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konzik wrote:
On a side note - how impossible is Solo Conquest? On my last try I managed to get to the first city and defeat 2 out of 3 defenders. It's impossible to go further!

One you know the game, you'll easily defeat both cities by the end of the third night, unless something goes terribly wrong.

Playing Full Conquest, we often end the game (each player conquering one city) by the end of the second day night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.