Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Brost
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello all,

In my last game of 7 Wonders I played with a group including a couple who also owns the game. During rule explanation they sparked a debate stating I was playing/teaching a commerce rule incorrectly. I think that their rule was crazy...so please help me prove it.

The way I teach commerce is that if you need to buy a resource from a neighbour you can only purchase the number of resources that the neighbour has. So if a neighbour is producing 1 wood, you can only by 1 wood from them that round (by round I mean for each structure/card you build)

They argue that if a neighbour is producing a good that you can purchase infinite amounts of that resource in a round. So if a neighbour is producing 1 wood, you can by x amounts of wood from them that round.

To me their rule changes a fundamental game rule between my city and my neighbours city and it also changes the point/purpose of the game.

Thoughts? Help? Did I make any sense at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. They are wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get one wood from a single wood too, so why would you're neighbors potentially benefit from it even more than you (even though they have to pay, but still...).

You're right, their rule is crazy, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find it directly quoted in the rule book. But it is implied in Example B, "During a game turn, both neighboring cities buy from her 2 Stones for a total of 8 coins (2 per resource). In the same turn, she can build a Library (cost: 2 Stones +1 Textile) thanks to her resources, even though she has sold them to her neighboring cities."

It is implied that each neighbor is purchasing a different Stone.

But also, logically, within the game it doesn't make sense. If I'm able to buy 3 stones when a neighbor only has 1, why doesn't my Wood become 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Their way would break the game. Why on Earth would it be limited for the owner of the card/building, but unlimited for their purchasing neighbor? That makes no sense, not even common sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're certainly right. Maybe show them this thread or e-mail them the link will help them understand.

- Damien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because "Hey look I got a few people on the internet to agree with me" is always a solid argument.

For what it is worth. You are right, one per card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Brost
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I was almost certain I was correct but I've taught many many people 7 Wonders and I would have felt pretty bad if I had taught that rule wrong.

I've passed the post on to the other party. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Brost
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LoL Jerry...good point. I like to think of it as "Hey look I got a few fellow gamers on boardgamegeek to agree with me".

Makes me feel a little better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think of it as a resource, think of it as a prerequisite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Their way would break the game. Why on Earth would it be limited for the owner of the card/building, but unlimited for their purchasing neighbor? That makes no sense, not even common sense.
Well, in theory, they'd need to pay for all those hits of stone, whereas you'd be generating infite amounts of them for free. Certainly makes the Aqueduct a lot less intimidating (and "cheaper" too since it'd only require one type of resource )

I can't say I wouldn't be even a bit tempted to take $6 from my single stone symbol so that someone can build an Aqueduct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:
Well, in theory, they'd need to pay for all those hits of stone, whereas you'd be generating infite amounts of them for free. Certainly makes the Aqueduct a lot less intimidating (and "cheaper" too since it'd only require one type of resource )

I can't say I wouldn't be even a bit tempted to take $6 from my single stone symbol so that someone can build an Aqueduct

And if the Queen had balls, she'd be the King

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I teach commerce is that if you need to buy a resource from a neighbour you can only purchase the number of resources that the neighbour has. So if a neighbour is producing 1 wood, you can only by 1 wood from them that round (by round I mean for each structure/card you build)

You are right.

Otherwise, why can I use my own stuff only once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I use "round" to describe an entire age (so in round 1, you pass cards to your left when done). I use "turn" to describe what the OP refers to as "round".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:

Why on earth can both you and your neighbor use the resource once, but you can't use the resource twice yourself? "Sense" nor "common sense" are not valid arguments here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, think of the "resource" simply as a "prerequisite".

If it helps you with the "common sense" portion, you could think of it as different types of stone, different types of lumber, etc. You need multiple types to build those, it just doesn't matter how much you actually produce. That way you can sell it to both your neighbors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:

Why on earth can both you and your neighbor use the resource once, but you can't use the resource twice yourself? "Sense" nor "common sense" are not valid arguments here.

Well, then I guess that is what the rule book is for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaPhant wrote:
I like to think of it as "Hey look I got a few fellow gamers on boardgamegeek to agree with me".

Makes me feel a little better...

This thread (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/727636/buying-more-resou...) has the same question and same conclusion before you asked it, so folks are not just being nice to you in particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
And the fact that not a single person has disagreed is also pretty telling. (you figure there'd always be at least one, if there were any question at all)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oz Me
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another "tell" is the fact that a few resource cards provide "two" prerequisites... No need for that if they gave unlimited resources. (In fact, I think there's a rule that says your neighbors can only buy "one" of the two such resources, but I may be misremembering that, my rules aren't readily handy from my current locale.)

Think of the resource card as providing enough stone, for example, for local building and trading, lest you would be at war with your neighboring cities.

And to forestall queries, think of military might as exerting influence. Not actual wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozme52 wrote:
Another "tell" is the fact that a few resource cards provide "two" prerequisites... No need for that if they gave unlimited resources.

I thought about that too, but I guess the argument from the other side could be that those only apply to your own use, and not your neighbors. Again, why the use would be different for you and your neighbor is beyond me.

Ozme52 wrote:
In fact, I think there's a rule that says your neighbors can only buy "one" of the two such resources, but I may be misremembering that, my rules aren't readily handy from my current locale.)

Interesting if this happens to be the case. I've been playing wrong if so. Can anyone confirm?

Anyways, I think that we all agree that you only get to use each symbol once for your own resource collection (the double symbol cards prove that)... so if the rulebook doesn't specify that your neighbors treat them differently, then you have to treat them the same. In this regard, the rulebook doesn't particularly need to spell it out, in my opinion. Otherwise, you're just inventing rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
No, if you have a two stone card, for example, they would be able to buy two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
Ozme52 wrote:
In fact, I think there's a rule that says your neighbors can only buy "one" of the two such resources, but I may be misremembering that, my rules aren't readily handy from my current locale.)

Interesting if this happens to be the case. I've been playing wrong if so. Can anyone confirm?

This is wrong. Each player to your left and right can buy as many resources as you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I've played, but I seem to recall there was split cards (i.e. wood/ore) as well as double resource cards (i.e. wood wood). In the event you have a split card, you can use/purchase one but not both (it counts as either a wood or an ore for the round) whereas with a double resource card both resources are available.

It's been a while, I'm not positive. I thought the split resources were age I and the double resources were age II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. The split resources are age 1 and the double reasources are age 2. Your opponents can only use one of the split resource cards, which is independent from what you use that play, and vice versa.

But using an age 2 double resource of two stone, as was mentioned above, is allowed, as long as you have enough money to pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.