United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
One of today's more weird stories. When one thinks of the world's nuclear powers one generally doesn't think of Kodak but it seems not only did the camera and film manufacturer have a nuclear reactor but it had weapons grade plutonium in it.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/14/kodak-facility-in-...

I suddenly have this image of a nuclear arms race between Kodak and Motorola.

Now that's a Kodak moment. Say cheese!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
1360 g of enriched uranium isn't nearly enough to make a bomb, especially with entry-level technology. (Little Boy contained 40 kg of U-235.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
1360 g of enriched uranium isn't nearly enough to make a bomb, especially with entry-level technology. (Little Boy contained 40 kg of U-235.)

I know but the mental image is still funny. You just don't expect a company like Kodak to have a nuclear reactor.

Reminds me though of a story years ago. When Walt Disney went into negotiations with Florida to create Disney World in the 60s it created what was basically an autonomous zone. In effect Disney doesn't have to abide by many of Florida's state laws but can create it's own like building codes and even build itself a nuclear reactor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hurray! I lived practically right under that as a kid growing up. My Dad still works for Kodak. I'll have to ask him about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Saddam hid his weapons of mass destruction in Rochester? Well, at least we can stop looking in Iraq for them.

I was up there not long ago for a family wedding, great children's museum but take a good GPS because the highway interchanges are just a bit weird. Maybe it was the influence of the radiation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:
So, Saddam hid his weapons of mass destruction in Rochester? Well, at least we can stop looking in Iraq for them.

I was up there not long ago for a family wedding, great children's museum but take a good GPS because the highway interchanges are just a bit weird. Maybe it was the influence of the radiation.

Even having grown up there, finding your way around the Inner Loop area can be a hellish experience, almost on par with dealing with Boston's plate of spaghetti map. As far as I can tell it's a several part problem that stems from an angry congressman that made sure the Thruway went several miles south of the city (resulting in 390, 490 and 590 all trying to service the city), Kodak carving up the city into factory sized chunks, and just general poor planning.

But yeah, the Children's Museum of Play is pretty awesome. We always make a point of taking the kids there when visiting my parents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
One of today's more weird stories. When one thinks of the world's nuclear powers one generally doesn't think of Kodak but it seems not only did the camera and film manufacturer have a nuclear reactor but it had weapons grade plutonium in it.

Is this all there is to it, or is this a developing story?

Sorry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:

Is this all there is to it, or is this a developing story?

Sorry...
Film at 11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
robigo wrote:

I know but the mental image is still funny. You just don't expect a company like Kodak to have a nuclear reactor.

Reminds me though of a story years ago. When Walt Disney went into negotiations with Florida to create Disney World in the 60s it created what was basically an autonomous zone. In effect Disney doesn't have to abide by many of Florida's state laws but can create it's own like building codes and even build itself a nuclear reactor.

Los Disneys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
... a nuclear arms race between Kodak and Motorola ...

or Kodak and Fujifilm whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
Hurray! I lived practically right under that as a kid growing up. My Dad still works for Kodak. I'll have to ask him about this.

I knew you had a certain...glow...about you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A neutron flux multiplier? Great scott!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.