11 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Similar games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you know any similar games to the Mansion of Madness? I mean Roleplaying Board Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ryan
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
arkham horror, elder sign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Brunelli
Italy
Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lautzy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was playing my recently acquired D&D: The Legend of Drizzt, I kept drawing comparisons back to Mansions of Madness.

It follows a completely different them as you could probably guess, but the game plays out with miniatures and monsters that spawn on the board and various campaigns to complete while fighting them.

Drizzt does not have as much story elements during the game like Mansions, but at the same time is much quicker to set up in my brief experience.

There is also not a "dungeon master" role in Drizzt, instead events are carried out by the game itself and monsters are distributed among the players to allow everyone to move the monsters according to the "tactics" defined on the monster cards.

In short, Drizzt provides a different experience with a different setting, but still satisfied the same part of me that Mansions did. (And it takes so much less time to set up!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ryan
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
at a stretch Last Night On Earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And what about Descent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
spav wrote:
Do you know any similar games to the Mansion of Madness? I mean Roleplaying Board Games.

If you're talking about games with a strong storytelling element, there's almost nothing out there like Mansions of Madness. The closest would probably be Arkham Horror and Android, both of which are terrible games (Arkham Horror is passable if you enjoy games where you just roll dice and a bunch of random stuff happens). The only other one that might be similar is Tales of the Arabian Nights, but from what I know of this game it's more like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book in board game form rather than an actual tactical board game.

Alternatively, if you're talking about a mystery game with investigators exploring a house of horror, then Betrayal at the House on the Hill is probably your closest bet, though again it's a lot more random than Mansions.

Descent and Dungeons & Dragons are not really RPG-board games as such, just tactical mini games with a fantasy theme.

Elder Sign is a dice game and has almost no RPG elements to it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations is a tactical board game with RPG elements, but otherwise is nothing like Mansions of Madness. But, I'd call it more of a Roleplaying Board Game than MoM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Darkness Comes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blickley
United States
Brockton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willco wrote:

Whoa, I just checked out that game and it looks like something I'd like to play. Somehow missed that one totally! Thanks William!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Android is a masterpiece!!!!

But I agree Arkham is plopfest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.