5 Posts

Struggle of Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: Disbanding Units??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Norell
msg tools
mb
I can't see a reference in the rules and haven't trolled through the 40 odd pages of postings, but is there any reason why units cannot be disbanded in lieu of building, say for example, to avoid going into a treasury deficit which would require increased unrest to balance the books and, consequently perhaps, causing a player to lose the game as a result.

I am thinking of this only as a desperation measure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Disbanding a unit to build elsewhere is explicitly mentioned in the rules and can be done, at the cost of the player taking on an additional unrest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
msg tools
mb
Thanks for that. I shall search the rules again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quote:
Action: Build One Unit
[...] You may instead choose to redeploy a previously built fort, which means to spend another population to build and deploy it as though it were new after first destroying it and taking one point of unrest. [...]

From the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
is there any reason why units cannot be disbanded in lieu of building, say for example, to avoid going into a treasury deficit which would require increased unrest to balance the books and, consequently perhaps, causing a player to lose the game as a result

I assume that you want to do this probably in your last Action Round to avoid the payment problem soon to come up in the Income and maintenance Phase? [e.g. you are going to earn 3 gold for your population level of 3 and 4 gold for 4 control markers = 7 gold, but you have 8 units on the board, so will end with a deficit of 1 and take 1 Unrest.

[1] It is not legal to take a Build Action and simply destroy a unit [whether Army, Fleet or Fort.] The only time that you can destroy a unit is when you want to build a unit that you no longer have any of in your supply.

[2] Also, the taking the Build action and destroying 1 unit, even if legal, would be a waste of time. Destroying a unit causes you to take 1 Unrest Token.

Thus, you still end up with 1 Unrest token!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.