Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Mather
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked this up a few days back, and have played a few games with my wonderful wife, and we both really adore it. I do, however, find the graphics quite 1970's bland, and just adding or subtracting numbers. A real 'brain-burner' for sure, just want a little something more to make it pop.
My plan is to go with an Arkham Horror like story, where the 4 positions NSEW are actually 4 different "Ancient Ones", who will be manipulating an investigator (the Vector). Instead of the NSEW, we will have the AO's assail the Mind, Body, Soul and Heart, representing Mental, Physical, Spiritual and Psychosocial(?) aspects of our intruding investigator. Depending on who wins, the investigator will either go insane, die, lose faith or commit suicide. (Yea! Those are fun goals...really?)
The spaces will each have a written effect on the board to give a story as to why a player scores or loses points, or why the Vector follows an arrow or why a player loses a turn. I am going to drop the 10's place and score 1-10 instead, and each of the 4 players will keep score with cubes or chips, with a final win score of something like 100 points, in which case a player wins and the investigator suffers their terrible fate.
Finally, I want a way to have the investigator fight back, so there will be some spaces that if landed on (by accident of course!), the players will lose Cultists, and after a set number of these losses the player is out of the game (or ALL players lose?).
So, in summary, The Ancient Ones and their Cultists are under investigation, and are not pleased about it. Each player does their best individually, and as a team, to totally wreak havoc on every fiber of the poor investigator's very existence, and will finish him/her off in some evil way or will be defeated as a group. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea a lot! I've been wanting to try this one out for a while, but I think what would really put it over the top is a nice pasted on theme. My first thought was a light cartoonish pirate theme. All are sailors aboard a ship, and each of them thinks they know the best way to go. Unfortunately, the Captain's fallen overboard, so nobody's in control! Something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
I like the idea a lot! I've been wanting to try this one out for a while, but I think what would really put it over the top is a nice pasted on theme. My first thought was a light cartoonish pirate theme. All are sailors aboard a ship, and each of them thinks they know the best way to go. Unfortunately, the Captain's fallen overboard, so nobody's in control! Something like that.

Pirates could work well. Maybe an hexagonal version themed around:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Or perhaps there are four Greek gods, each attempting to blow a hero's ship, or perhaps Xerses' fleet, to the ports of Athens, Troy, Ithaca and Crete.

You could call it 'Anemoi' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemoi). :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Mather
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love these ideas! It really is lacking in theme(?)...these are good ways to bring a little life to it.
The plus and minus scoring numbers on the board can be islands, sea creatures, storms, wind (or lack of wind), other ships etc...
Use a miniature ship such as from Life: Pirates Of The Caribbean for a pirate ship "Vector".
Maybe for the Greek God version, each player can have a few special one-time-play cards they can use to reflect their uniqueness?
Some thoughts:
-A card that allows you to keep your direction card hidden for the turn.
-A space (whirlpool?) that makes the remaining players in the turn have to draw their distance card randomly instead of the one they have chosen.
-A good winds card that allows you to go 5 spaces instead of 4.
-A loss of winds space, where remaining players distance is at -1 space.
-Each Pirate can have one or more randomly selected islands on the board (hidden from other players)that will earn them double points if they manage to get there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PsychoZulu wrote:
Use a miniature ship such as from Pirates Of The Caribbean for a pirate ship "Vector".

I am never going to play this game without this modification again.

(Goes away to re-theme homemade board to ocean)

:D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.