Subject: Whatever happened to Groundfire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I found an old 1983 GW catalogue and I was flicking through it and saw an advert for a Starfire supplement dealing with planet-based combat called Groundfire. I know it was never produced but since there was an advert, I figure it must have reached some level of completion. Does anyone know what happened to the rules? Were they included in later versions of Starfire? Did they become the basis for another game? Or are they languishing somewhere waiting for someone's nostalgic interest to see the light of day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Never finished; never even close, afaik. I do remember some info put out in the old Nexus mag (don't remember the issue but there were only 17-18 produced).

There wasn't much, just some teaser stuff really however, it did its job: got me excited for the project.

Still, a damn shame it never went anywhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked into this once, because I would have loved to have had something like this - I think it was supposed to be a gournd-based version of Starfire. Anyway, David Weber worked on this and certainly it got to the point where they had cover art and ad copy for it, but it never did see the light of day.

Now the Starfire rulebook (Ultra Starfire) is up to 350 pages and David Weber writes military SF books by the pound, something which I am sure is a much, much more profitable use of his time.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I'd completely forgotten about Nexus magazine so I dug out the ones I own and had look through them.

Groundfire is mentioned in #4 (Jan 1983) as being in second draft and 'uses the Starfire combat system.'

It's also mentioned in #18 (1987) in an article on Terra Fire, a strategic planet-based game for use with New Empires, which also never appeared.

'Although Terra Fire is not the long-awaited tactical ground combat system (which is still in the works)...'

Still it would have been nice to see Groundfire. Task Force Games didn't really produce a pure sci-fi tank game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few playable sci-fi tank games. The usual suspects are Hammer's Slammers, Grav Armor about which I have heard good things, Hovertank: Tactical Combat 2054-2115 which is kind of Panzerblitz on the Moon, and Helltank / Helltank Destroyer which are more complicated historical (but not chronoligcal precursors to Ogre, the most durable design of all. I think another, quite detailed game in this vein was Renegade Legion: Centurion – Blood & Steel but IIRC that was almost like Star Fleet Battles on the ground - maybe a bit too detailed, I liked the old Starfire system better.

Another interesting topic is planetary-invasion games: The Taking Of A Planet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.