Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I've got a student who's looking for a new wargame. I'm not much of a wargamer so I'm looking for help. I asked them a few questions so that you'd have some knowledge from which to work. Here are the details.

1. He's likes Memoir but wants something more advanced.
2. He wants to be able to play with 4. Teams of 2 would be fine, but only if it's fun that way.
3. His quote about Memoir: "I like the hex system alot. The added terrain and line of sight is made simple because of that. A coop war game would be ok. I have found the games where it is one person versus everyone else very interesting, but I have not had the chance to play many. The game doesnt have to be 'realistic' so to say. Basically, we are looking for a game that has teams against each other and that has a little more complexity to it (such as interactive vehicles or obtainable items). . I like the feel of games that have variations in units. The strategy involved in deciding where to place or purchase many weak units, or a few expensive units is really good. "

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He might try Friedrich; it can play with 3 or 4 but is best with 4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X?

You can play it 2v2 and it works well. It's perhaps not a 'wargame' in the sense you meant, but it's most certainly a war game, and the book keeping isn't difficult by any means. It's my current favorite game I can't get to the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hoping to get into wargaming soon and based on my research thus far these may be a good fit for you Strike of the Eagle or 1812: The Invasion of Canada

They are multiplayer, not too long, and not terribly expensive (all factors which I find quite appealing).

Happy Shopping,
Redward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second 1812: The Invasion of Canada. Very fun, light wargame that supports team play well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Tide of Iron would seem to be a perfect fit for your criteria, but I haven't played four. The poll on its page recommends it with four.

Similar in concept and layout to Memoir, more complexity (in a good way) and has Memoir's larger-than-life look. Worth considering.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Nexus Ops which I have had lots of recommendations for. OrRisk Legacy which is flying up the charts and even scored 10 in Spielbox this Month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. I wasn't sure that 1812 would work real well with 4 players. I've played with 5 (everyone controling their own army) only.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Roback
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
the latest edition of conquest of the empire rocks. That is using the Conquest II rules with the Struggle of Empires Partnerships - It is absolutely terrific with 4! It also has a killer board and plastic pieces. You want to have a blast this should be a go to game for good times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.