Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never actually gotten to play, but I've been slowly tinkering around with gangs and models. Hired guns intrigue me, both as a game mechanic and as fun one-of's to model.

But for those whom have played, are they a good idea? When do you use them? Are they best to give a new gang "training wheels", or are they best for slapping some muscle onto a middling or wealthy gang?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:
I've never actually gotten to play, but I've been slowly tinkering around with gangs and models. Hired guns intrigue me, both as a game mechanic and as fun one-of's to model.

But for those whom have played, are they a good idea? When do you use them? Are they best to give a new gang "training wheels", or are they best for slapping some muscle onto a middling or wealthy gang?

You are usually better served spending the money on more gang members. More total gang members = more actions and more losses required for bottle checks. More total Gangers = more potential income in campaign play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with hired guns is: they are expensive and then die or leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly. -- Neil Gaiman, Sandman Vol 6
badge
I dork therefore I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like having a ratskin scout in my gang; I like the chance of snagging a free territory after a victory, even if it's only a small chance, and their ability to influence which scenario is played can be a huge advantage at times. They don't start with anything particularly special, but a shotgun-wielding ratskin scout can be a useful gang member in earlier battles, as they'll sometimes be able to tip you over into a win when playing against another gang that doesn't feature a lot of upgraded equipment or gang members with a lot of stat boosts and skills. While their usefulness on the battlefield drops over time, their before and after battle abilities are always handy. Whether they're worth the money is really up to you, but for me they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I agree with the above comments, except for the Ratskin Scout. I'll happily pay 15 per game for a 1 in 6 chance to roll for a new territory. Sure, there are even chances that you'll lose the Ratskin as gain a new territory. But heck, they're hired guns, so you can get a new one.

Even though an average of 90 credits per new territory rolled may seem pretty steep. It has the added benefit to all players of adding new territories into the available pool, and you do also get a warm body as part of the bargain too. Eventually this may end up hurting the campaign rather than helping it, by eliminating scarcity. But if that happens, it'd be after so many games played that I wouldn't worry too much about the likelihood of that happening any time soon.

EDIT: ninjaed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactically, I don't believe in Hired Guns. But they are soooo great in creating a cool setting and atmosphere that I almost always hire one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Ratskin Scout in any gang's first few games. The Bounty Hunter can help level the field against a better gang. A Hired Scum or two also level the field. If you are into min/maxing, Hired Guns may not be the best choice, but then again, you're probably missing the whole point of the game. By that I mean it's the experience your gang gets from its fights (games) that makes them better. Not just winning any particular game.

Unofficial hired guns are a mixed bag, and some are abusive. The Ratling Scout with Needle Gun as written is over the top. Bringing 8 Pit Slaves is too. Off the top of my head, the named characters are not typically over the top.

Most important thing to remember is if you want to bring any Hired Gun, do it. It can't set you back much, it might help you win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.