Subject: Deckbuilding game variant for B5 CCG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After playing Race for the Galaxy, Core Worlds and Dominion I wonder: could we addapt these deckbuilding mechanics for the B5 card game?

I like 2 main mechanics:

1. Phase cards from Race for the Galaxy. Every player has 6 different phase cards. Each player selects one card and plays it face down. All phase cards are revealed. Each revealed card effects all players, but has a bonus for the player that played the card.

For example: Explore card: each player looks at the top 2 card of the draw deck and keeps 1. The player(s) who played this card may draw 5 and keep 2.

2. Discarding activated cards from Core Worlds. After using cards on the table, they are discarded. The discard pile forms your (future) draw deck. If any B5 cards reads "discard", we could change this to "remove from the game". Inner Circle characters are not discarded after rotating - but supporting row cards could be.

For example: infantry and fleet cards can be used to conquer a planet. After this action, they are discarded. But you may draw them back into your hand on a later turn and use them again.

Are there any other deck building games I wonder? Which mechanics can we use for a B5 variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hildebrandt
United States
Fort Washington
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has been playing using the great rules from this thread: link

We have made some small changes -- we have:

1. Agenda deck - (all the agendas except race-specific ones)
2. Conflict deck
3. Vorlon deck (all cards that give or require Vorlon marks, except for race-specific ones)
4. Shadows deck (all cards that give or require Shadow marks, except for race-specific ones.)
5. A race deck for each player (characters, fleet, race-specific enhancements, etc.)
6. An 'everything-else' deck (neutral characters, events, aftermaths, etc.)

Just as in the rules from the thread, any player can draw from any deck, but characters from a different race cost twice the influence to sponsor.

The net-effect is an ongoing, deck-building, non-collectible game, and one which, we think, is *much* more fun than the CCG-version. Players can decide what direction they want to go as they play -- should I ally with the Shadows? Should I build up my fleets, or go for a diplomatic victory? All decided dynamically, as the game unfolds, rather than lock-in ahead of time via deck-construction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G M
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LucasTrask wrote:
Our group has been playing using the great rules from this thread: link

We have made some small changes -- we have:

1. Agenda deck - (all the agendas except race-specific ones)
2. Conflict deck
3. Vorlon deck (all cards that give or require Vorlon marks, except for race-specific ones)
4. Shadows deck (all cards that give or require Shadow marks, except for race-specific ones.)
5. A race deck for each player (characters, fleet, race-specific enhancements, etc.)
6. An 'everything-else' deck (neutral characters, events, aftermaths, etc.)

Just as in the rules from the thread, any player can draw from any deck, but characters from a different race cost twice the influence to sponsor.

The net-effect is an ongoing, deck-building, non-collectible game, and one which, we think, is *much* more fun than the CCG-version. Players can decide what direction they want to go as they play -- should I ally with the Shadows? Should I build up my fleets, or go for a diplomatic victory? All decided dynamically, as the game unfolds, rather than lock-in ahead of time via deck-construction.

That could maybe be workable, but if they are really ALL cards for those categories it seems the decks would be rather large. Or at least they would be for a person who has everything (or group that has everything with their collections combined).

Maybe the Vorlon/Shadow decks would not be too bad, but looking at my own collection (which is very close to everything) it just looks like too much unless the decks are reduced in size/content.

I guess enough might reduce that problem/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hildebrandt
United States
Fort Washington
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'everything else' deck is large, but we split it into two piles. The others are not overly large. For the agenda deck we include 3 copies of the 'starter' agendas (like 'Build Infrastructure') and 3 copies of 'Power Politics' and 'Knowledge is Power'.

We also don't use contingency cards at all, so that cuts way down on the 'everything else' deck.

Also, remember that in this version you get a minimum hand of 5 cards per turn, and drawing a card at the end of the turn only costs one influence, so you cycle through cards *much* faster than in the CCG version, which means the fact that the decks are large is not as significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Mårtensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a list of cards that you don't use, or do you just use one of every card (other than the agenda cards)?

Also, when you write "A race deck for each player", do you mean that you use only the races that are used by the players, or a race deck for each race (even those without ambassadors in play)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hildebrandt
United States
Fort Washington
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By and large, we use one copy of every card, except contingencies. The exceptions are the player/race decks -- in those we use one copy of all unique cards, and three copies of the 'multiple' cards, like 'garrison fleet' or 'human agent'.

We generally use a race deck for each of the races being played, but there is no reason you couldn't include decks for races without an ambassador in play (although players are unlikely to draw from those decks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hildebrandt
United States
Fort Washington
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, one more thing, we allow each player to draw three cards from the conflicts deck at the beginning of each turn, keeping one and discarding the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.