Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I read the rules wrong, but since you only reveal a tile after the hero phase, and revealing tiles always results in monsters, the monsters always attack first, or if it's a sentry, chain in numerous other tiles/monsters before you have a chance to stop them? Seems unfair that the best you can do is run up to a doorway and wait for the Cave Bear to maul you before you can take an action. It also seems that there is very little you can do to mitigate risk during your turn... just hope whatever comes out doesn't eviscerate you.

Clarification?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct, though note that the Paladin has a power that lets her jump in front of someone else when the monster activates. I think the next game (Drizz't) has more powers for dealing with monsters before they kill you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means you need to think about who goes to that edge to flip the next tile. When I play with my daughter, I play the fighter and she plays the wizard so that she can hide behind me.

Keep moving though, because the monsters and encounter cards will pile up and you will take damage without getting closer to your goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forster925 wrote:
This is correct, though note that the Paladin has a power that lets her jump in front of someone else when the monster activates. I think the next game (Drizz't) has more powers for dealing with monsters before they kill you.

Yes, it does. For example:

-Drizzt has one stance that prevents 1 damage unconditionally, and another that allows him to attack during the Villain phase

-Catti-Bree can move two spaces after exploring, often allowing her to flip a tile and then retreat to a previous one, putting herself out of range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the Wizard Eye it can explore while you are out of range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Reed
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Couldn't you use hurled breath to attack the monster before it attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, you're only allowed to use Hurled Breath (and similar powers/items that don't cost an attack action) only during your Hero phase.

... unless the card says otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snaggle4th wrote:
It means you need to think about who goes to that edge to flip the next tile. When I play with my daughter, I play the fighter and she plays the wizard so that she can hide behind me.

Keep moving though, because the monsters and encounter cards will pile up and you will take damage without getting closer to your goal.

After numerous plays of Ashardalon and Drizzt this is the same strategy we employ. Let a character with a higher armor class and/or hit points open the tile and let those with ranged attacks hang back a little. It's our attempt at the classic tank/DPS role, though without a true healer tanking can be tough.

The only drawback is that if other party members aren't opening tiles then the encounters can overrun you with monsters and traps pretty quickly.

If been annoyed by the "monster always attacks first" component, but when you think of it as walking into an area of a dungeon that contains a monster most likely the monster is going to see you first and attack before you can respond. To get into sneaking and stuff would make this a little too complicated for the design. I agree that Drizzt brought in some nice changes in this respect (as well as several others).

I've been impressed on the additions in each new game in the D&D Adventure System. I hope they continue to add or expand this line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so to clarify, if the "Monsters Attacking First" situation is one's biggest complaint about the system, then Drizz't is the title to buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros
Greece
Thessaloniki (mostly), Trikala (sometimes), Meteora (at least once per Trikala trip), Athens (whenever possible), -how many more characters does it accept? Impressive! so I'm moving on with my list- Koromilia, Kavourotripes, Samothraki, Jogja, Bruxelles..
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
Okay, so to clarify, if the "Monsters Attacking First" situation is one's biggest complaint about the system, then Drizz't is the title to buy?
Definately!

Drizzt can attack first if you use the stance

Catti-Brie can walk two squares during exploration and get out of range (or next to a goblin archer)

Artemis can place the monster on any tile with an unexplored edge.

Did I forget anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.