Popular Tags: [View All]
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a serious gamer. LOTR is the only game that I've devoted any serious play to, and it's a great game.

But, I'm just wondering if there any other games out there for solo-play that I might be missing out on.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Virzo
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone... Or the incoming Star Wars LCG... Just two names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game easily the best solo gaming experience I have ever played. Well worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools75 wrote:

Unless more info has come out about the Star Wars LCG that I don't know about, it's still in re-development. It may not end up having solo or cooperative play at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tracker1 wrote:
I'm not a serious gamer. LOTR is the only game that I've devoted any serious play to, and it's a great game.

But, I'm just wondering if there any other games out there for solo-play that I might be missing out on.

Thanks

Sentinels of the Multiverse felt very similar. A multi-player co-op playing against the game's deck of evil. You have the option to play solo, at least by taking 2 heroes and playing them individually. I don't know enough if there is an official variant for only a single hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mmoberly wrote:
Jools75 wrote:

Unless more info has come out about the Star Wars LCG that I don't know about, it's still in re-development. It may not end up having solo or cooperative play at all.

From all that I read (no insider info in this one), it seemed modeled after the LOTR game mechanics. It would be co-op, probably solo options. They may change it out but I guess that remains to be seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
From all that I read (no insider info in this one), it seemed modeled after the LOTR game mechanics. It would be co-op, probably solo options. They may change it out but I guess that remains to be seen.

This was before, when FFG first announced it. Since then, there was a large outcry from people wanting a 'player vs player' Star Wars card game and then FFG delayed the game and put it back in re-development.

There is some evidence that it will probably no longer be co-op/solo or like LotR LCG because all references to that type of gameplay were removed from the description page on FFG. Even the "1-4 Players" was removed from the game box at some convention a few months ago. All that really remains on the site is FFG's note that it's back to the drawing board: Link

I'm kinda sad about it as I was really looking forward to that particular iteration. I'll still try it out but I really like the co-op LCG gameplay present in LotR LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mattr0polis wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

This was before, when FFG first announced it. Since then, there was a large outcry from people wanting a 'player vs player' Star Wars card game and then FFG delayed the game and put it back in re-development.

I missed all that then. I thought the delay was just typical production/development issues.

I think I would fall in that camp that would rather have player vs. player. I kinda wish LOTR had that option. But with this and SotU, I don't need a 3rd co-op, all against the game, LCG.

So this makes me more excited to see the SW LCG and possibly get back into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I refer you to this geeklist:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/70179/item/1785459#item178...

I'd recommend, not mentioned so far, from these, Zombie in My Pocket (it's free!), Agricola, Arkham Horror and Space Hulk: Death Angel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I missed all that then. I thought the delay was just typical production/development issues.

I think I would fall in that camp that would rather have player vs. player. I kinda wish LOTR had that option. But with this and SotU, I don't need a 3rd co-op, all against the game, LCG.

Yeah, I mean, to a point this is where I'm at too. FFG's LotR co-op LCG and Star Wars are like 2 of my favorite things, so while I definitely would have loved a Star Wars co-op LCG it would have probably meant choosing between LotR LCG and SW LCG.

With it being pvp there is a good chance I'll try to play both.

And to the OP, I guess it depends if you like the LCG/card game aspect of LotR as well. If so, there really aren't any other options near as great as LotR LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

There is some evidence that it will probably no longer be co-op/solo or like LotR LCG because all references to that type of gameplay were removed from the description page on FFG. Even the "1-4 Players" was removed from the game box at some convention a few months ago. All that really remains on the site is FFG's note that it's back to the drawing board: Link

I'm kinda sad about it as I was really looking forward to that particular iteration. I'll still try it out but I really like the co-op LCG gameplay present in LotR LCG.
You know Matthew, I don't think I'll be sad. If the Star Wars LCG is going to be a different theme pasted over identical, close, or even similar mechanics as the LotR LCG, I don't think I would dump any money into it.

However, a head to head LCG like the Cthulu game (possibly) or even a multiplayer version like Blood Bowl Team Manager might get my attention. As a matter of fact, having different forces (Rebel Alliance, Sith, Imperial, and Rogue for example) competing against one another to accomplish certain missions laid out might be cool. Think about it. We already have a head to head competitive LCG (Cthulu). We have a multiplayer non LCG head to head game (BB Team Manager). And we have a co-op multiplayer LCG (LotR). It would be cool to have a multiplayer head to head style game that is an LCG.

The point I'm making is that unlike Blood Bowl Team Manager which isn't really an LCG IMO, I would be ok buying something that uses similar mechanics because I don't have to buy tons of cards to tune my decks. If Star Wars is going to be a plaster-job in game mechanics of of LotR, the rationalization for me is, 'Meh--I've already got a game where I have to spend lots of money on it to play it competitively. Why would I want the same thing with a different theme stuck on?' Unless it has a non co-op multiplayer head to head feature. Now that I would purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanMC wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game easily the best solo gaming experience I have ever played. Well worth a look.

It looks fun but the price makes me hesitant. I'm sure it's worth it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
That is if you can get hold of MK at all.

I thoroughly recommend to you Space Hulk - Death Angel. Although i am a huge fan of both games - LOTR is probably my prefered at the moment.

In DA, the enemy/encounter deck is always the same (the scenari is always moving through an infested space hulk), but the layout of "rooms", positioning/movement of enemies is unique every game, determined by random generation and random event card draws. Plus, you have a dice in the mix, which adds a layer of "luck management" depth to it.

I played this game solid for about 2 months. Despite the "adventure" being the same - it didn't get boring, especially once you add in the mission pack, tyranid enemy pack and deathwing marines. All this you can get for about $40. Whilst LOTR has a lot more variety that comes at a price.

In DA, it can be a lot more tense. If you spend 45 mins getting to the last stage, you are really hoping for a good draw/dice (this is not to say that the game is overly based on luck). If you get the luck it feels epic. It is very hard to win (at first - once you win regularly add the tyranids). If I lose, I generally pack away and do not start again until another day. The set-up is slightly longer than LOTr (excluding deck-building) which leads to play only one game per session. This is unlike LOTR where, if i lose, or even if i have a bad start, i can quickly set it up again. So what DA lacks in variety compared to LOTR it makes up for in a heightened level of intensity.

Oh, and there is no real deck-building in DA, you just choose groups of three cards and cycle through them 2 at a time.

I asked for a similar recommendation here after playing Death Angel and LOTR was mentioned - i put it off by because some comments on here cite issues with Solo play - but there are no issues at all. It's great. I'm glad i got it in the end. Best thing about both games is speed and portability, which really led to the purchase as i wanted something other than DA to play at work.

Other recommendations i got for solo play were Arkham Horror, World of Warcraft and Elder Sign. These all have pros and cons, but ultimately the reduced set-up time of the card/card-and-dice games make them less attractive. None od them have seen table-time since LOTR arrived.

I intend to get Mage knight at some point, and i am also very interested in Gears of War - which is specifically designed for co-op/solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Virzo
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

After a better reading about Star Wars LCG new infos, I must correct my initial answer in this thread...

Thunderstone, just a name...

(Star Wars LCG is no longer an interesting game for me - they're probably going to destroy the beautiful initial game concept, at least for my personal point of view. I must admit I was very excited about a Star Wars LCG similar to this LotR release, and nobody seem remember there was already a Star Wars PvP card game... Bad move FFG. Let's stick with LotR.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really hoping for sw solo game. Since I'm not as into the Lotr theme. Bummer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.