Popular Tags: [View All]
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
You lookin at me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

Yesterday, we played "Save the Townsfolk" and we faced an unexpected situation close to the end: There were only a few Hero cards left, and the Heroes needed to find 2 more villagers (the only ones left).

Jake Cartwright aka The Drifter used his special skill RESOURCEFUL to draw 2 instead of 1 Hero card - as it turned out, both cards were villagers, and we needed both to win.

Now, the text of the skill says "Choose which one to keep (discard the other)."

Does that mean that in the situation described, the Heroes lost automatically because one of the villagers had to be discarded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if there was no way the heroes could dig it out of the discard pile.

So an automatic loss, I would say no, but a likely loss by other conditions before the heroes could get to the discarded townsfolk.

Heck of a situation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't win, since you need to collect them and Resourceful discards one of them. However, there are 4x "Just What I Needed" Events in the Hero deck that can pick up any non-Play Immediately card from the discard pile (or pick any Scenario Search Item from the Hero deck, Townsfolk counting as SSI in this scenario IIRC).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
You lookin at me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your quick replies, Stephen & Rauli!
Unfortunately we had already played all 4 JWIN cards. Bad case of worst-shuffle-ever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I counted 6 townsfolk cards in the basic game. That should be enough to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
I counted 6 townsfolk cards in the basic game. That should be enough to win.

However, you do need to collect 4 of them (IIRC) and the Zombie Player has cards that discard cards from the Hero deck, it is quite possible for the Hero players to have all the Townfolk in the discard pile. If the Zombie Player then gets the "remove all cards with X title from discard pile" and removes 3+ copies of JWIN, not much you can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the rub here. I just don't think it is a design flaw or a rules error. Just plain bad luck and irony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, it's a toughie and needs even more luck than say, Escape in the Truck where you might have Gas Station for Pick Up: Gasoline. Then again, zombies tend to win almost regardless of scenario (zombies ahead 14-3 after 17 plays). Doesn't hurt me (as zombie player) that I keep getting those 6s devil .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fearnall
Canada
flag msg tools
well, technically, if the junkyard is in play, you can draw randomly from the discard to get it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
We've played the Save the Townsfolk scenario a couple of times over the last two weeks. Unless we're interpreting the rules incorrectly, aren't the townsfolk listed as scenario search items on the scenario card, meaning you can pull one of them out of the Hero card discard pile when you search any building?

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
underling wrote:
We've played the Save the Townsfolk scenario a couple of times over the last two weeks. Unless we're interpreting the rules incorrectly, aren't the townsfolk listed as scenario search items on the scenario card, meaning you can pull one of them out of the Hero card discard pile when you search any building?

SSI's can't be pulled at will from the discard pile. Where did you get the idea from the rules ? Being SSI allows the heroes to use "Just What I Needed" to dig them out of the Hero deck, not more. You can't pull cards from the discard pile when you search, using Pick Up can get certain cards back, but no Pick Up lists Townfolk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
underling wrote:

SSI's can't be pulled at will from the discard pile. Where did you get the idea from the rules ? Being SSI allows the heroes to use "Just What I Needed" to dig them out of the Hero deck, not more. You can't pull cards from the discard pile when you search, using Pick Up can get certain cards back, but no Pick Up lists Townfolk.

Yeah, I think we totally screwed up this rule.
Thanks for the clarification.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sham Blanchard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
underling wrote:

Well, the card I Found It! allows a SSI to be taken out of the discard pile. So you are partially correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.