Hide
16 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shields and combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Marchand
msg tools
Hello all, played my first game yesterday and couldn't really figure out how combat works when there is shields involved.

Lets say my opponent has a cruiser with a +2 computer. I have an infiltrator with no shield and a cruiser with -2. My opponent rolls a 4, can't he just assign the damage to the infiltrator making the shield very weak unless all my ships have shields?

Or does my opponent have to declare which ship he's attacking first?

Ty in advance =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamoo1 wrote:
Lets say my opponent has a cruiser with a +2 computer. I have an infiltrator with no shield and a cruiser with -2. My opponent rolls a 4, can't he just assign the damage to the infiltrator making the shield very weak unless all my ships have shields?

The ship types are: Interceptor, Cruiser, Dreadnought. No infiltrators. Other than that, you seem to have the rules correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
As David says. The rule is: shoot first, select target later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marchand
msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:

The ship types are: Interceptor, Cruiser, Dreadnought. No infiltrators. Other than that, you seem to have the rules correct.

Oh sorry been playing too much mass effect it seems. Thank you, but it kinda makes the shield technology very weak no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shields are designed simply to counteract computers. If your opponent has +2 computers, he has a huge advantage against you unless you have shields to match. Shields are great at what they do, and what they do is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... but yes, only if all your ship classes have them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisboote wrote:

Or you don't build the classes that don't have them, or you keep the vulnerable ships way on the back lines, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Wargame? Eurogame? Ameritrash? Asia!! Check out Asian board game reviews at CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisboote wrote:

When assigning damage you only damage all of ONE kind of ship; the damage does not "trample" over to other kinds of ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evilpanda wrote:
Chrisboote wrote:

When assigning damage you only damage all of ONE kind of ship; the damage does not "trample" over to other kinds of ships.

This doesn't seem right.

As far as I know, you are allowed to assign damage to ANY ellegible ship. But each hit is assigned to only one ship, not all of the same kind. You might be confusing this with attacking with one kind of ship at a time.

Excess damage points from one die, on the other hand, cannot be carried over to another ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Chrisboote wrote:

Or you don't build the classes that don't have them, or you keep the vulnerable ships way on the back lines, etc.

True, I was over-simplifiying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Wargame? Eurogame? Ameritrash? Asia!! Check out Asian board game reviews at CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
evilpanda wrote:
Chrisboote wrote:

This doesn't seem right.

As far as I know, you are allowed to assign damage to ANY ellegible ship. But each hit is assigned to only one ship, not all of the same kind. You might be confusing this with attacking with one kind of ship at a time.

Excess damage points from one die, on the other hand, cannot be carried over to another ship.

NO no you're right. Each die rolled for an attack can be assigned to any one ship; however, no excess damage can ever "trample" or carry over to another ship. Multiple dice can be used on one ship, but one die can not be split to attack multiple ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Thamoo1 wrote:
Thank you, but it kinda makes the shield technology very weak no?

Yep. And the fact that there is no researchable -3 shield is bad as well. Limited use at best. My perception may be skewed by the overpowered nature of missiles though. Good luck getting enough hulls and shields on EVERYTHING for shields to be at all relevant in a massive missile bombardment. There's no room. Certainly not when your opponent has Gluon Computer. Last time I researched -2 shield against the usual missile+computer crimes it just sat unused because more improved hulls were always better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the game is purposely slightly skewed in favor of attack vs defense, in order to encourage aggressive playing and discourage turtling.

If there was researchable -3 shields, a lot of people will just turtle up once their ships are virtually immune to anything other than direct hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
Thamoo1 wrote:
Thank you, but it kinda makes the shield technology very weak no?

-- My perception may be skewed by the overpowered nature of missiles though. --
So this thread is also about the missiles now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Pawndawan wrote:
So this thread is also about the missiles now?

Any Eclipse combat thread which ignores missiles is ignoring the most important force in Eclipse combat. Especially a thread talking about the usefulness of shields. Let's see what do shields do... try to stop weapons from hitting... but somehow talking about the most powerful weapon in tandem with that is a slight against humanity...

(gets under blanket)

"LEAVE MISSILES ALONE!!!!!!" (hysterical crying)

So other than the overpowered nature of missiles, why else are they relevant when we could talk only about computers vs shields? Cause missiles take no power. And they always hit first. So if we're talking about trying to shield against:

[Plasma Missile]
[Plasma Missile]
[Plasma Missile]
[Plasma Missile] OR [Gluon Computer]
[Gluon Computer]
[Gluon Computer]
[Tachyon Source]
[Drive]

That's oh, I dunno, somewhat harder to shield against (read: impossible) than a ship that is running guns (which require power) which would then also require some kind of hulls to not instapop, and then you're talking about an actual, reasonable combat setup where one side isn't 100% offense with a stack of unstoppable +9 to computers, which they can power since their weapons take no power. Good luck having +9 computers with antimatter and hulls too.

Hence, missiles are very relevant to the analysis of shield usefulness.

Any other questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari L
msg tools
mbmb
I wonder one thing, has anyone tried that Shield would give you a bonus to initiative? Since if you think about it, shields could give you more time before you have to react on opponents action.

Even tough the shields does not allow you to "absorb" an hit like hull points does, it could still mean that they would not give you extra "protection" in combat as initiative. The hit system just indicates when the hit penetrates your shielding and combat manouvers, is not related to this.

So for example, 1 iniative bonus for having shields?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.