4 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Two simple but intriguing variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mindflayer Chef
Canada
flag msg tools

These two variants work with any number of players.

1. Different Tracks of Influence Starting Positions

After deciding who will play which house, determine a second house at random for each player. This second pick simply determines that players starting positions on the tracks of influence. For example: I draw Lannister as my house, and Greyjoy as my starting positions. So I get Lannister cards, pieces and starting locations, but my influence markers start at 5 on the Iron Throne track, 1 on the Fiefdoms track and 6 on the King's Court track (Greyjoy's starting positions).
This variant really only changes the game for the first few turns until a Clash of Kings is drawn.

2. Different Starting Locations

After deciding who will play which house, determine a second house at random for each player. This second pick determines where on the board that player starts. For example: I pick Stark as my house and Baratheon as my starting location. So I get Stark cards, pieces, and starting tracks of influence positions. However, my troops start in Dragonstone, Shipbreaker Bay and Kingswood.
This variant really changes things up and pits sets of cards against each other that wouldn't normally clash (like Stark and Martell).

Of course, both variants could be used at the same time. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheza Moonmaiden
Germany
flag msg tools
The first turns really matter.

You can't change the starting locations, nor can you change the house cards without a huge impact. F.e. House Lannister and House Greyjoy are close to each other and can attack within the first turn.

To balance the game, House Lannister is at the topmost position in the Court-Track, allowing them to play 3 special orders AND to change one of their orders. In this way, it is garantueeed that they can't be eliminated by Greyjoy easily.
On the other hand, House Greyjoy owns the sword but doesn't have any special orders. In this way, they can't recruit but still force the Lannisters into a defensive role.

This is an instable balance. Change the house cards or the positions on the track and this fragile balance is ruined completely.

F.e. House Tyrell can't really attack during the first turn, therefore neither "Mace Tyrell" nor "Ser Loras Tyrell" are such an issue during the first turn. But in the hand of House Greyjoy.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord_Ntanos Karkavilas
Greece
flag msg tools
Also consider the fact, that Loras has a counter in the south...Arianne. Take this off ( Placing Loras let's say in Stark's position) and Great imbalances occur.

Or Stannis as a naturall 5 card from scratch since he does not start in position 1 on the Iron throne. Or even the fact that Bara's position on the Fiefdoms Track prevents him from securing without real cost The narrow sea or the ESS.

But if for example he gets Martell or Stark influence track position and Starts normally at Dragonstone, say goodbye to Stark or Martell.

Just a few thoughts... If someone tries he can find plenty examples to debate on the imbalance of your project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petter Bossum
Norway
Trondheim
Sør Trøndelag
flag msg tools
ntanos wrote:
Just a few thoughts... If someone tries he can find plenty examples to debate on the imbalance of your project.

What makes the seapowers (Greyjoy and Baratheon) rule the sea isn't simply their two starting ships, it is Salador Saan and Victarion Greyjoy.

Imagine Stark with Greyjoy-cards, if he is not rushed by a Tyrell-charged Greyjoy, he might landlock him completely. Or landlock Baratheon for that matter.

Imagine Lannister with Martell-cards? Move ship into greyjoy areas, lose with Doran, and no more sword for Greyjoy. Absolutely devastating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.