Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First here's the scenario:

Out of Attic #1
ASL Scenario OA9 Tyranny's End
Southern France, August 1944.
US ELR:2/SAN: 3 vs. German ELR:2/SAN:2 (using Mapboard 4 & 5)
9 Turns

US x2 1st line squads (6-6-6)
x1 8-1
x1 Hero
x1 HMG (4-10)
x2 M4A1
x1 Pillbox (1+3+5)
OBA 100+mm

-vs-

Heer x9 2nd line squads (4-4-7)
x1 9-1
x1 8-0
x1 7-0
x1 LMG
x1 MTR (50mm)
x3 Panzer IV H
x1 Panzer III N
x1 R35

VC: German win by amassing > 25 CVP than US.
Exit VP for German if exiting off playing area 1 hex of 5R10.

Here's my Setup:

Sherman M4A1 - 5CC6 HIP
Sherman M4A1 - 5X4 HIP
6-6-6 - 5Z8 HIP
Pillbox - 5Z10 HIP
MMG, Squad, 8-1 - inside pillbox @ 5Z10 HIP
Radio + Hero - 5X8 HIP

Impressions:

Kevin started off entering board 4 with R35 + riders. Sherman in Z8 quickly turned it into a wreck. First confirmed AFV kill thumbsup
Both Shermans remained stationary the entire game, and ended up killing all but 1 German panzer. Kevin didn't get any smoke, in fact all smoke dispenser (D13.1) rolls had zero success. Smoke from MA also did nothing (C8.0 Depletion number) except run out of smoke, I think he also MALF (Support Weapon Malfunction A9.7) and never was able to roll a (repair A9.73) MGs on 2-3 tanks.

Overall I think the Shermans did great, better than expected! The Sherman in 5CC6 got immobilized in Turn 3. Remaining stationary really helped to the To Hit rolls, and the fact I rolled several doubles (which for Sherman due to fast transverse allows multiple hits (C3.8), See Vehicle Notes Page H41 item R.

Now, let's consider the OBA- Artillery- Queen of the Battlefield! NOT! soblue

The Hero w/ radio in X8 was able to draw black chit and place SR, unfortunately the best targets (juicy stack of german squads) were in the gullies and thus I had to keep rolling for radio contact to begin the process to convert to FFE.
------ I had visions of Audie Murphy raining down clouds of fire & sulphur on the dastardly Huns ----- REALITY: Sgt. Binko spent his time playing with his iPhone & never got the artillery to land! cry ------

I just was looking over my plays (this will be the 5th game, all 5 games have had Heroes (A 15.2 Heroes) that did ZILCH! But each of the scenarios really doesn't have any cool toys (DC,FT, etc.) for them to really flaunt their stuff. Not a rant, just a random observation.

J.R. Tacey thanks for all the suggestions. Kevin was a great teacher and we had a very enjoyable game. Can't tell you how fun it was to use all the different rules! We didn't finish scenario but ended on Turn 5 (i believe)

Subjects for further rules research:

Riders (C6.2)
Passengers (C 6.1)
Unloading ( C6.5)
Intensive Fire (C5.6)
*** and of course Motion and OBA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Cocke
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
madmat wrote:

Now, let's consider the OBA- Artillery- Queen of the Battlefield! NOT! soblue

There's your problem. Infantry is Queen of the Battlefield.
Artillery is KING of the Battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Morocco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touche!

Attention to detail; my biggest character flaw cry
My apologizes to all the gun bunnys out there.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.