Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm looking for a video game like Farmville but not Farmville. (I stopped playing two years ago.) Or Animal Crossing? Or Harvest Moon?

I don't want it to be social media, though. I like the farming aspect, but it doesn't have to be. I want to organize stuff, unlock other stuff, and achieve levels. No combat/fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Hot Springs Story perhaps, or anything from that developer. I think they only do smartphones (iOS or Android) at this stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I need to know what's your gaming system of preference. PC(with/without browser?), phone?, DS?, etc.

For some reason (maybe it's this bobby didiana guy in the other thread), the first thing that popped into my mind are the papa's games on kongregate. The first one in the series is papa's pizzeria but there are a ton of others. The premise is that you are working the counter/kitchen at a pizza shop (or burger joint, smoothie place, taco shop, etc.) and you take orders, make the food and serve them to the customers. It gets pretty hectic because you eventually have to fulfill multiple orders at the same time. It's surprisingly addictive though. It has a mechanism for leveling up and you gain money which you can spend on equipment for your kitchen and to decorate the pizza parlor.

If you give me some more details I can probably find some other games that you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah. Mac (preferred without browser, but whatever). Or Game Cube. O_o

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Ah. Mac (preferred without browser, but whatever).

Hahahaha! Good one!

Oh, what's that? You're serious? Hmmm... you aren't leaving me a lot to choose from...

You have played both harvest moon and animal crossing for the GameCube I take it? And you know that there are two harvest moon games for the GameCube (A Wonderful Life and Magical Melody)? I haven't really found any other game like that on GameCube.

As for the Mac with no browser, I don't really have a clue. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Botanicula ($10 from App Store or Steam) is a good toy / game with a vegetable kingdom theme. It's nominally a point-and-click adventure game but 90% of the game is just tinkering with things to unlock cards rather than actual puzzle solving. It's really great and I am sure you will dig it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
amwiles wrote:

Botanicula ($10 from App Store or Steam) is a good toy / game with a vegetable kingdom theme. It's nominally a point-and-click adventure game but 90% of the game is just tinkering with things to unlock cards rather than actual puzzle solving. It's really great and I am sure you will dig it.

I was just going to suggest delving into adventure games like this. I did a search on VGG for other games of the simulation genre on Macs and gamecube and I didn't come up with anything noteworthy (other than the million and one different versions of The Sims). There are a ton of great adventure games both old and new that you can play on the Mac. Botanicula is supposed to be a good one. Also, if you haven't played all of the great old-school Lucas Arts adventure games then you can download them along with ScummVM and play those on the Mac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Here are some more possibilities from the Mac App Store:

Farmer's Market
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/farmers-market/id446263747?uo...

My Farm Life
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-farm-life/id481173730?uo=4...

Hobby Farm
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/hobby-farm-full/id518086304?u...

Farm Mania
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/farm-mania/id463251419?uo=4&m...

They look pretty blah to me, but then again so does FarmVille...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
Amy, try cross posting in VGG if you haven't already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
Crossposting back...

If you like some classic gaming, I recommend The Settlers II: Gold Edition. It is primarily about setting up a working village.

For example a woodcutter will cut wood, which will go to the sawmill to be turned into planks. Planks will be used to make other buildings.

A geologist will find ore. A miner will mine the ore and send it to be smelted into iron bars. A blacksmith will use iron and wood to make tools, which equip other workers.

And so on.

There is a limited amount of combat, but it is quite abstracted. You just build enough armour to equip knights and send them off towards your neighbour. You don't actively control them like you would in an RTS. And you can select Free Game with no opponents so that you can just play levels building up your community without worrying about battles if you don't want to.

There have been many versions but I reckon this is the best in the series, despite it's age.

The manual can be read here if you want to get an idea of how it plays: http://replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.3276

It's available to buy for less than $10 from Good Old Games - http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_settlers_2_gold_edition

It is a dos game but according to this list, it works on Mac using Boxer: http://boxerapp.com/

If you dual boot your Mac with Windows, then obviously a much larger variety of games becomes available. Staying with the classics, Theme Hospital and the three games in the RollerCoaster Tycoon series are all also available on GoG and might scratch your itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
bryces wrote:
If you dual boot your Mac with Windows, then obviously a much larger variety of games becomes available. Staying with the classics, Theme Hospital and the three games in the RollerCoaster Tycoon series are all also available on GoG and might scratch your itch.

Love these games! They are all a ton of fun. I spent quite a bit of free time trying to design the most efficient/visually appealing parks in the RollerCoaster Tycoon games. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
bryces wrote:
If you like some classic gaming, I recommend The Settlers II: Gold Edition. It is primarily about setting up a working village.

Oh yeah, this is awesome! I play this on my Mac via DOSbox with no problems. An excellent sim game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.