Tammany Hall» Forums » General

Subject: Tammany hall as a gateway game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Do you think this game would make a good gateway game? If not state why, and If so prove your points!

I would love to whip this sucker out and have a bunch of non gamers drop their jaws rather than play settlers of catan every time I am with non gamers. I know they will probably enjoy settlers enough to play again or at least think about it the night after you play it for your first time. I enjoy settlers too but its getting kinda old the way i get non gamers to love boardgames. I heard this is an amazing game and that it has a kickstarter, if its a gateway game or a game that leaves you wanting to play more than I am convinced.

Are the rules complex? Does it have a nice first couple a plays before any strategy?

What are your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules aren't particularly complex, but there are some subtle choices in role assignment, choosing battles, and deciding who is the greater threat, as well as managing the risk for the blind bidding for extra influence( where everyone loses everything they bid).

I don't think it's a game you should bring out for people who have never played a modern game, but for folks who have played a game of settlers or two, it should be fine provided they're happy with a very highly interactive game that can leave someone limping along behind.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
moses beard wrote:
Do you think this game would make a good gateway game? If not state why, and If so prove your points!

I would love to whip this sucker out and have a bunch of non gamers drop their jaws rather than play settlers of catan every time I am with non gamers. I know they will probably enjoy settlers enough to play again or at least think about it the night after you play it for your first time. I enjoy settlers too but its getting kinda old the way i get non gamers to love boardgames. I heard this is an amazing game and that it has a kickstarter, if its a gateway game or a game that leaves you wanting to play more than I am convinced.

Are the rules complex? Does it have a nice first couple a plays before any strategy?

What are your thoughts?

I have used this as a gateway game several times. It has been a huge hit among the graduate student crowd and high schoolers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Hill
United States
Blacklick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best descriptions I ever heard of a game was Max Michael's first description of this game to me:

"Tammany Hall is the family game for people who hate their families."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have never thought about this as a gateway, but as pointed out above, the rule set is pretty straightforward, although the depth is certainly not lacking. I would say it really depends on the group. If they are into the theme, don't mind nasty conflict, and are the sort that might not mind a bit of the brain burn, I say go for it.

Sort of a sink or swim gateway, but sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
KenH wrote:
One of the best descriptions I ever heard of a game was Max Michael's first description of this game to me:

Ha! OK, that is perfect. Just so you know, I am planning on stealing that line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenH wrote:

I'm using the Yogi Berra defense.

"I never said half the things I said."

Max
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenH wrote:

I'm pretty sure the game you're looking for there is ....

I'm the Boss!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Torr
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Buy less, play more.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall's gameplay is directly confrontational. I tend to like that in games (and I love Tammany Hall), but I think it's a bad feature for a gateway game. I'm rather burned out on Settlers too, but the reason it's a good gateway is that many people have been raised on Monopoly and Risk and are pleasantly surprised to find that there are games where the point is not to attack each other. Also, Tammany Hall's rules are straightforward enough, but the gameplay is fairly unforgiving: It's pretty easy for someone to find themselves in a position with no chance of winning by mid-game. Sure, many people will rise to or be intrigued by that kind of sink-or-swim challenge, but if I'm trying to turn a newbie on to the hobby, I'd choose something else. (My go-to gateways are Ticket to Ride and Traumfabrik/Hollywood Blockbuster.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of the opinion that gateway games do not necessitate simple rules, or a simple experience, or whatever. How many of us started out by playing chess, a most unforgiving game? My first "hobby" game was Diplomacy, and the one that immediately caught my attention afterwards was Die Macher. I've had a friend unable to wrap his mind around the relatively simple Trias tremendously enjoying his first play of the far more complex Brass enough to warrant his purchasing a copy.

So, it certainly could be a gateway game, for the right crowd. If I had been introduced to this game 5 years ago, when I'd never played anything more complex than A&A (and I didn't particularly like it), I would've loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's not everybodies gateway, I'll say that much. The unforgiving bit is the chance of being frozen out early. Since I haven't played that much yet, I can only guess that the strategy gets more complex; but a gateway is the opposite of something that takes a long time to walk through. I'd say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.