Subject: Changes to the rulz!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C East
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve gave us our promised cookie today in the form of a kickstarter update. To sum up, some of the rules for the game have been changed. Never fear the same core mechanics are still intact, but these changes fix some balance issuses and make other things more stream line. So without further ado...

Escape Pod Games wrote:
ENGINE DAMAGE CHANGE

Instead of having two Hit Locations for the Engines, which I was never happy with, we have decided that there is now only one. This makes things much more balanced and removes the need for a second "odd or even" roll when a "6" is rolled. Here is how damage works now - if you have a single Hit or Heavy Damage on your Engines, you may still move 1 space per turn instead of the usual 2. If you get a third Hit, however, you are Stranded and must rely on emergency thrusters and/or Carrier's tractor beams until repaired (see Rules)

If you have even 1 Ionized on your Engines, you may not move that turn. Which brings us to...

IONIZED EFFECTS CHANGE

Under the old rules, if you had an Ionized on a Hit Location and a second Ionized was added to that same location, a Hit of damage was applied and one of the Ionized was removed from play. Under the new rule, the hit of damage is still applied but both Ionized remain. If one of them does NOT move on the next turn (unlikely), another hit of damage is done. If a third Ionized is somehow added (very unlikely) another hit would be applied. This makes the lingering effects of Ion damage a little more powerful and helps to balance things - we are pleased with it. Now when you hit your opponent with an Ion Cannon, it's going to stick around a while and not be wasted as often.

HANGAR REPAIRS CHANGE

This one has really streamlined things. Under the old system, a Gunship must begin its turn in a friendly Carrier Zone in order to land inside for repairs. It was not allowed to attack during this turn and in many instances, this wasted almost 2 turns. We now have a great solution. A Gunship may, at any time that it is in a FCZ, use 1 Action to land inside the Carrier. For each Action remaining that turn, the gunship gets one Repair Action during the Repair Phase. If a Gunship is already in the Carrier at the start of its turn, it gets the usual 3 Repair Actions. When a Gunship Launches from the Carrier, its turn is now over and there is no more free attack.

This offers MUCH more flexibility and keeps the game moving.

As you can see, none of these is a game breaker, and a couple of them have been in the works for awhile, even while writing the original Rulebook. But it's been nice to do some minor tweaking again in the rare moments that I get before release. I feel that I have now gone over every single thing that I was not 100% happy with and that I am giving you my best possible effort. And that is a good thing!

Thanks,

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mr. East

lol now I will sit back and enjoy my popcorn and wait for the "see? I told you this game was not finished" replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Stockton
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
shake This game is sooooo not finished! How dare you make changes when it hasn't even been sent to the printers yet! whistle

I like the Ion and Carrier repair changes for sure.

The only question I have on the engines damage change is if having them as only a single hit box now makes it too easy to slag the engines and cripple the gunship for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGrath
United States
OLYMPIA
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited to get this game into my hands. To tell the truth, I was on the fence till the Tom vassel preview. He sold me on the game and I'm looking forward to release!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oh no now this game has catapulted the meeple and will suck, I'll see you in court, Steve Wood!! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vaporwolf wrote:
shake This game is sooooo not finished! How dare you make changes when it hasn't even been sent to the printers yet! whistle

I like the Ion and Carrier repair changes for sure.

The only question I have on the engines damage change is if having them as only a single hit box now makes it too easy to slag the engines and cripple the gunship for the rest of the game.

I'd recommend at least one Armor on them and best save an Evasive Action. When they do get damaged, make quick runs to the Carrier (which we have made easier) and keep them in good condition. Because in the Asteroid Field, no one can hear you scream. Well, just the guy sitting across from you and mocking you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Stockton
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Curse you, mocking guy, and your asteroids too!

Sounds good. Will make armor placement an even bigger decision and will make the new streamlined carrier repair even more attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But won't this lead to at least one armour to be always put on the engines, as in "it's a no-brainer, you HAVE to do this to survive/win"??

Keeping an evasive action ready to help against engine attacks also seems to dilute the strategy aspect to some bit, I fear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really has not been an issue in playtest.

Even when you had 2 Engine locations this was always a threat and it rarely happened then as well. It's more of a threat now but your opponent can do the same to your Power Generator and hurt you just as badly.

We're going to be playtesting this weekend and I'll instruct everyone to go for each other's Engines all the time and see what happens.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C East
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape Pod Games wrote:
We're going to be playtesting this weekend and I'll instruct everyone to go for each other's Engines all the time and see what happens.Steve

How did it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.