BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Mansion of Madness vs. Arkham Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jc wright
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hey guys, I was just wondering what you guys thought the better purchase would be. To me Mansion of Madness seems more fun, but due to only 5 scenarios I am not sure what the replay value is. Your input will be very helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brulet
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a lame point of view because I have not played Arkham Horror, but when I was comparing the two it seemed like AH was more "classic" board game with a Lovecraft theme, where MoM was more RPG with a Lovecraft theme in board game form.

My group of friends are all ex RPers and theatre people so we have alot of fun with MoM and acting out our characters. It adds to the overall experience. There isn't alot of "board game" to pull you out of the atmosphere of walking through a haunted mansion finding clues.

It seems to me that AH is more of a structured, "go here, do this" whereas MoM is the similiar, it is soaking in story along the way and the keeper throwing out little trauma events helps add to the suspense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy MoM. It seems to be a love or hate game, and I count my self in the former. I think the theme is great.

I am not a big fan of Arkham, but I know there are many who like it.

I vote MoM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never been a fan of arkham horror. I find that it drags on way to long if you are playing in large groups or with people who have never played. The game is okay but I don't think it deserves the accolades people give it.

Mansions of madness is a reasonably fun game. The puzzle part of the game is a cool idea but doesn't add as much to the game I would have thought. The miniatures are fantastic. My one major complaint is that I rarely felt like I was exploring a house. Instead it felt like I was just walking between predetermined way points hoping I found the right door. To put it bluntly the game felt very linear. In this sense the 5 missions aren't the problem as much as the fact the missions feel very similar. The set up time can also be pretty horrible.

I much prefer betrayal at house on the hill over either of these two games. I found the story elements were integrated into the game much more succesfully. You never really knew what you were up against which made for tense games. It has about 50~ stories to play and each one I've played has felt very different. As a result it doesn't feel quite as samey as Arkham horror or especially mansions of madness do after a few plays.

If I had to chose strictly between Arkham and Mansions I'd probably say Mansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Monkey
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the type of game you are looking for -- and the group of people you intend to play with if you are worried about it seeing the table. It can't be stressed enough that, while these games do live in the same universe and share themes/characters, they are entirely different games.

Arkham Horror is great if you are with a group of seasoned gamers that want a co-op experience and a bit of a challenge (which you can increase when you start adding more of the expansions). Keep in mind that some players might feel put off by the "Every time I try to explore, something bad happens to me!" type situations that can happen, and it certainly isn't a game isn't a game for people that want to feel like they can run around kicking butt and taking names. That said, I think the challenge of it is wonderful and keeps the tension of the game high throughout the night. After all, you are supposed to be stopping unspeakable evil -- at it would be odd if all you needed to stop that was the will and a shotgun. This game, to me, is more about that feeling of tension and uneasiness you get every time you need to flip over a card -- and you're hoping it won't hurt too much. You'll need a pretty big table to play it comfortably (I have a standard kitchen table and playing on it can be a bit of a stretch sometimes) and at least a few hours.

Mansions of Madness is better if you are the only one really willing to sit down and comb through the rules very carefully, and then set it up. This one is a 'one vs everyone else' kinda game and that one will be not only doing the most complex roll in the game, but also filling the story and mood. The 'everyone else' rolls (investigators) can easily be learned (less than 5 mins) and any other explaining you need to do, you can fill in along the way -- so that makes it great for more inexperienced players. To me, this game is all about the story -- the investigators are excited to figure out how the clues will unfold to shed light on the mystery at hand while the keeper is trying their darnedest to make sure the story ends as gruesomely as possible. As long as you setup the game before people arrive (highly recommended; it does take careful reading and a bit of time) then the game doesn't take too long and has a 'lighter' feel for non-keeper players. As for replay: there are 5 scenarios, each with 3 main objectives and generally 3+ ways to arrange clues/items within that (without expansions which add more). You should get lots of replay out of it, although if you play as the keeper frequently (and tend to 'peak' at the other options) you might have a hard time playing as an investigator while having the same sense of mystery.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
MoM has 4 PoD (print on demand) expansions that each have a new scenario and the Forbidden Alchemy expansion has 3 more scenarios, so with the base game, that's 12 scenarios, and they're always coming out with more.

While MoM has a much more structured plot, Arkham Horror is much easier to roleplay.

Quote:

Mansions of Madness is better if you are the only one really willing to sit down and comb through the rules very carefully

I'd disagree with that. To play AH only one person really needs to know the rules, all the other players don't need to know the exact mechanics to know that they want to move to any given location and search it, or move to a monster and fight it. The person that knows the rules, can guide them with exactly how to do it (not that the rules are that difficult).
With MoM, I'd say it's ver important that the players know the rules for the investigators right from the get-go because in that game you can't really afford to waste many/any turns just putzing around.

Quote:
"Every time I try to explore, something bad happens to me!"

I don't think the game plays like that at all. There's plenty of good events that can happen at any given location. I think it's more like hoping for a certain thing (such as getting an encounter that gets you money (or a source for money, such as a retainer) so you can buy an item/travel to another town/etc.).

Personally Arkham Horror is my favorite boardgame (and my group loves it too). That being said, Mansions of Madness is a great game too. With either game, after a while you're gonna want to get some expansions (AH with all the expansions at the same time is an epic experience!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, that's, like, your opinion, man
mbmbmb
These aren't similar games at all, other than theme.

Arkham Horror is a very hard, but rewarding co-op with everyone against the board.

MoM is practically like playing a mini-adventure with a Keeper versus the players. There are only 5 scenarios, but multiple setup choices in each. It's actually a great game, that require a lot of setup and, in my opinion, some tweaking (such as covering the stacks in rooms so players don't know at once where to go).

Both are excellent games. It just depends on what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Monkey
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
I'd disagree with that. To play AH only one person really needs to know the rules, all the other players don't need to know the exact mechanics to know that they want to move to any given location and search it, or move to a monster and fight it. The person that knows the rules, can guide them with exactly how to do it (not that the rules are that difficult).

Certainly, they are not that hard and everyone doesn't need to know the rules intimately, but explaining what you outlined can in itself can be a mouthful.

Burnham wrote:
With MoM, I'd say it's ver important that the players know the rules for the investigators right from the get-go because in that game you can't really afford to waste many/any turns just putzing around.

I've found stressing that the investigators need to work efficiently to explore and find clues is generally enough to that end, also AH itself has a bit of a 'timer' which can be quite punishing depending on the size of the group and choice of Ancient One.

I just find that a person needs to explain more upfront in AH, while in MoM you can explain rules more along the way.

Burnham wrote:
I don't think the game plays like that at all.

That was quite literally a quote one player said the first time they played the game. Sure, it was bad luck ... and they didn't listen to my warnings of charging into creepy unstable locations, but bad things can happen for quite a few turns. It certainly happens less if you know what each location is more or less about and plan accordingly, but you can't really do that if you're new.

Either way, I am quite fond of both games. As to which one is a better buy between the two, I think it really comes down to what type of gaming experience a person and their friends are looking for. Though it is important to note that AH can be fun solo while it is ...challenging... to do so in MoM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lessee...

You or someone in your playing group has rpg experience as a gamemaster, preferably with the Call of Cthulhu RPG. And that person is very, very, very evil. And has internet connection for rules questions.

YES: Mansions of Madness.
NO: Arkham Horror.

You enjoy painting miniatures, especially ones that can be used in other mythos games, like Elder Sign, Arkham Horror, and Call of Cthulhu RPG.

YES: Mansions of Madness.
NO: Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura BlueFrost
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb

They are both different games; built around the same theme. It doesn't hurt at all to own them both actually I recommend it.

If you would have to choose between either then...

Arkham Horror is Cooperative (all players against the board)
MoM is not (in MoM there's the Keeper which is like the dungeon master working against the investigators)

MoM has 3 print on demand mini-expansions; and another big expansion so there's plenty of re playability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marathon Man
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror is a much better overall experience. The replay value is high and the vast amount of expansions will keep you playing for years. I played AH for the first time recently and have been wanting to play it again ever since. Just have someone who knows the rules to help out in the beginning and you will have a great time.

I owned MoM and sold it quickly. I didn't like the gameplay. MM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jc wright
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot guys! I decided to go with mansions of madness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Seriously consider covering the card stacks in the rooms. That will make sense when you look at the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Monkey
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
Seriously consider covering the card stacks in the rooms. That will make sense when you look at the game.

I definitely agree with this strategy, it will make things seem less linear. I use the extra "You find nothing of interest" cards to cover the obstacles. Doing this trick with locks is a little harder (because would have to make the investigators ask if the door is locked for each new room) but is still entirely possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I prefer to cover the locks as well, as those are often clues that something of import is in the room. I just remove the cover card as soon as they attempt to enter any room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.