DM JT
msg tools
mbmbmb
Entry Thread for Blackie's Maze
Designed for the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest
Components Ready Phase - I would love to have some play testers... play test these rules.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/798184/2012-solitaire-pr...

I set out to make a dungeon crawl using only a deck of cards. Blackie's Maze is the result. Numbers cards represent Rooms, Doors, Levels, the player's inventory, HPs as well as the mechanism for combat against the black Face Cards. I also made miniatures using the Jokers from my deck to mark character location. There's nothing but a normal deck of cards used... and optional tab-style miniature stands if you want to stand up your joker cards, which makes the game visually more interesting.

You play the Red Joker who has set up to kill his evil twin, the Black Joker.

The rules are currently about 8 pages long, but not densely written. It's rule heavy for a card game but light for a miniature dungeon crawl. Character is simply HP and inventory. There are no other challenges other than combating minions, unlocking doors, and killing the Black Joker, which are all done my managing the cards.

The down side is there is a lot of reshuffling of the number cards. I've considered adding a second deck but haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure what that would do to the balance or imbalance of the game which may be part of its charm. When you see all the aces laid out as dungeon rooms, you know you won't be able to use them in combat until you reach the next level. So the limited resources adds tension.

The rules are uploaded to the game page... pending approval.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/124914/blackies-maze
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cute! I love the little Joker dudes! Let us know when the game rules are up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.