Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't read any further if you like to keep the cards a mystery....

I've just bought CotDP and while sleeving my cards I couldn't but help notice that several OW encounter cards require you to battle a GOO surprise cry

I'm wondering if when you draw an OW encounter that requires you to combat a GOO, eg Cthulhu, do you run it as a Final Battle with just one investigator? In other words do you run the battle by having an 'Investigators Refresh' then 'Investigator Attacks' followed by 'Ancient One Attacks' phases and keep doing this until either the Investigator is devoured or GOO is defeated? If so, do you get an initial "Refresh" phase before your first attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these sorts of encounter only in CotDP or are there similar ones in other expansions. I noticed only 3 of the GOO are included in this way.

Thanks

InquisitorGoody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just those three, just in CotDP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting me know. I think I want to get this expansion just to see the look on one of my friends faces when they draw one of those encounters....

I can just imagine my explination:

This is the card that says you have to fight Cthulu...
Yes we do need to put Doom tokens on the WHOLE doom track...
You do get an upkeep phase after each attack.
This is the box for the devoured investigators.

Thanks

InquisitorGoody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with those Encounters: they're one of the great generators of hysterical mirth in the game (you know "no way! I have to fight Cthulhu!?" - "yes way dude, smack him DOWN!!"). On the other hand... your Investigator gets devoured. Pretty much Auto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
On the other hand... your Investigator gets devoured. Pretty much Auto.

Really? Our Investigators win about one of these encounters in four... remember each Doom Counter takes only one hit to remove...

It does require a bit of luck, of course. I recall one Investigator fighting four small monsters to enter a gate to Yuggoth... and encountering Shub-Niggurath. With a total of six monster trophies in hand, he had a relatively easy time of it.

Ithaqua is very luck dependent; all comes dow to those equipment rolls.

A meeting with Cthulhu, however, will leave your character permanently nerfed, even if you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
On the other hand... your Investigator gets devoured. Pretty much Auto.

Really? Our Investigators win about one of these encounters in four... remember each Doom Counter takes only one hit to remove...

It does require a bit of luck, of course. I recall one Investigator fighting four small monsters to enter a gate to Yuggoth... and encountering Shub-Niggurath. With a total of six monster trophies in hand, he had a relatively easy time of it.

Ithaqua is very luck dependent; all comes dow to those equipment rolls.

A meeting with Cthulhu, however, will leave your character permanently nerfed, even if you win.
Fair enough, I guess it comes down to a couple of factors: which AO it is and the equipment on the Investigator. We rarely have a heavily tooled up Investigator going through Gates, the heavy gear is with the street cleaners, so when we meet an AO with heavy combat modifiers and/or immunity/resistance we're pretty much screwed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.